RomanArmyTalk
Roman Leather Lamellae Scales from Karanis, Egypt - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Research Arena (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Roman Military History & Archaeology (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Roman Leather Lamellae Scales from Karanis, Egypt (/showthread.php?tid=23099)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Roman Leather Lamellae Scales from Karanis, Egypt - Juba the Wolf - 09-03-2013

I thought I'd post this here because not many Roman aficionados seem to be aware of the Karanis archaeological find, which is direct evidence of leather armour use during the Roman period (est. 2nd or 3rd century B.C.E.)--at least in Egypt.

But if one adds this to the speculated leather 'thigh armour' found at Dura Europos, it gives compelling archaeological evidence for the use of leather body armour in the eastern Roman world--and perhaps across the rest of the empire, when one combines the physical evidence with artistic and written accounts. Of course, this can only be conjecture until more finds are made--or old objects are released to the public, considering this dig at Karanis happened in 1925! Who knows what other artifacts sit moldering in university cellars around the world just waiting to be rediscovered...

Unfortunately, there is little detailed information online regarding this particular find, though the lamellae scales are included in a University of Michigan museum exhibit.

[Image: leatherfull.jpg]

[Image: leatherinventory.jpg]

Here's a small bit of info from a U.M newsletter--

Quote:The leather scale armor was excavated at Karanis by the University of Michigan in the 1920s. There is little documentation of the armor from the excavation, but today it exists in many fragments of different sizes. Some of these are substantial and reveal details of the armor’s original construction. Last year, in preparation for exhibition of the armor in Karanis Revealed, conservators at the Kelsey undertook a detailed study of this artifact. We describe this process, some of our findings, and the conservation treatment of the leather.

If anyone has any further information on this intriguing find, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Shawn Crawford

Roman Leather Lamellae Scales from Karanis, Egypt - Dan Howard - 09-03-2013

How do we know that the armour is Roman? The Egyptians had been wearing that kind of armour since the Bronze Age. The earliest extant leather scale cuirass was found in Tut's tomb.

Greg Less has lots of photos of the Karanis armour here:
https://plus.google.com/photos/106959643773134692408/albums/5710467730364426657?authkey=CLbvmI2_x8aZkAE

Roman Leather Lamellae Scales from Karanis, Egypt - Flavivs Aetivs - 09-03-2013

Although it is interesting, I see no evidence it is "Roman." More likely it belonged to Sarmatian Foederati operating in Egypt.

I think its more likely that it's post-Roman Byzantine, as the Byzzies in the 6th and 7th century were known to wear leather lamellae over metal Scale or metal Chainmail.

Roman Leather Lamellae Scales from Karanis, Egypt - Dan Howard - 09-03-2013

More info.

Greg was given a chance to examine the armour at the Kelsey Museum. The scales were either made of rawhide or poorly tanned leather and originally backed by a thin layer of leather. They were at least partially colored red - the pigment was removed during the initial preservation and transport from Egypt to Michigan in the 1920-1930's. The museum staff are trying to get a grant to have it properly analysed and preserved.

Thanks for the info Dan.

The estimated dating of 3rd or 4th century would place it well before the 'Byzantine' period. And while the UM exhibit assumes the armour to be Roman for various reasons, it could very well be of local make, or just as likely used by auxiliaries originally from who knows where. Regardless, a rare find, and hard evidence of leather body armour during the period.

Roman Leather Lamellae Scales from Karanis, Egypt - Nathan Ross - 09-03-2013

Quote:The estimated dating of 3rd or 4th century... hard evidence of leather body armour during the period.

What is the estimated dating? In the original post you mentioned 3rd-2nd C BC, but the other references prefer 3rd-4th AD, as you have it here. What's the reasoning behing these estimates?

Interesting piece, though, whatever the date!

The date of 2nd to 3rd century in the first post was my mistake! I was working from faulty memory... :oops:

I'm assuming the dating of 3rd to 4th century is made by the archaeologists based on where and what else it was found with... assuming it can't be dated in other ways... I'm not an archaeologists, but perhaps another board member has expertise on this subject and might be able to shed more light.

Roman Leather Lamellae Scales from Karanis, Egypt - Nathan Ross - 09-04-2013

Quote:I'm assuming the dating of 3rd to 4th century is made by the archaeologists based on where and what else it was found with...

OK, thanks - that's clearer! It would be interesting to know more about the context of the piece - is there anything else known about this 1925 excavation?

Anyway, if 3rd-4th C is correct then I'd think it very likely that this is Roman leather armour - the Roman army was the only military force in Egypt at the time, and they had probably been there long enough for any local or traditional styles to be assimilated or superceded.

We might assume that the armour belonged to some 'ethnic' auxiliary unit (perhaps, like those Emesenes on the Danube, preserving their own recruitment into the 3rd century?), or as Evan suggests some 'barbarian' group in Roman pay - Probus sent laeti to Egypt, I think.

But surely we'd have to ask why this armour should not necessarily be Roman before looking for alternative sources?

Roman Leather Lamellae Scales from Karanis, Egypt - Flavivs Aetivs - 09-04-2013

For one, if it is Lamellae than this would be the first example of Roman Lamellae armor, wouldn't it? I can't think of any examples of Roman Lamellae, or at least not until the East started using it en-masse in the early-mid 5th century.

Roman Leather Lamellae Scales from Karanis, Egypt - Nathan Ross - 09-04-2013

Quote:if it is Lamellae than this would be the first example of Roman Lamellae armor, wouldn't it?

Dan's post above says that the scales were "originally backed by a thin layer of leather" - if they were attached to the leather as a support, this could simply be scale armour. If the leather was not a support, it would indeed be lamellar I suppose... Does anyone know?

Roman Leather Lamellae Scales from Karanis, Egypt - Dan Howard - 09-04-2013

Near and Middle Eastern scale armour was often constructed by making individual rows of scales attached to a thin leather strip. The Mitannians called this row a kalkus and it was the basic "building block" of their armour. Then each row is attached to a garment to create the scale corselet or sariam. It looks like the Karanis armour might have been made like this. This method is good for "assembly-line" production and makes repairs easy - just replace the damaged kalkus with a good one and that sariam is ready to go, then you repair the damaged kalkus and keep it for the next job.

This armour was found in Egypt, it is an Egyptian style, and it was likely worn by an Egyptian. How does it become "Roman armour" just because the Romans enlisted these men into its army?

Although I see what you're saying, I don't think its Egyptian.

Leather Lamellar was recorded to be used by the Huns (along with Bone Lamellar). I'm usre Alanus could shed some light about Sarmato-Hunic Armor.

Quote:Although I see what you're saying, I don't think its Egyptian.
Why? There are scales of this shape, in this region, made of both metal and hide, going back for a period of fifteen hundred years. I'll bet that the hole pattern is the same too.

Quote:
Magister Militum Flavius Aetius post=343659 Wrote:Although I see what you're saying, I don't think its Egyptian.
Why? There are scales of this shape, in this region, made of both metal and hide, going back for a period of fifteen hundred years. I'll bet that the hole pattern is the same too.

Oh well, that's different. I didn't know there were other finds of leather scale like this from Egypt.

If that's the case, I think it's likely this may have belonged to a groups of Local Egyptians hired as guards for an Estate.

There isn't much leather armour anywhere. Most extant scale armour is metal. Here is one fragment found at Nuzi. These were made of bronze but the Nuzi texts say that both bronze and hide were used