RomanArmyTalk
Roman Empire on X-Box - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Recreational Arena (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Gaming & Modelling (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+--- Thread: Roman Empire on X-Box (/showthread.php?tid=22680)

Pages: 1 2

Roman Empire on X-Box - Narukami - 05-23-2013

This announcement about a new game (to be shown at E3 next month) claims the game will transport the player to the Roman Empire. Unfortunately is does not tell us much more than that, though it sounds more like a FPS type of game more like HBO's Rome or Starz's Spartacus rather than a Total War Rome game.

Ryse to be re-revealed for Xbox One at E3

Ryse, the Kinect game first unveiled at E3 2011, is set to be re-revealed at E3 in 19 days’ time, according to a countdown timer on developer Crytek’s website. The updated home page for the product, which the studio describes as “a gritty, visceral action game that draws gamers into the epic times of the Roman Empire”, also confirms that Ryse will be an Xbox One exclusive.

“Son came to Rome 2013,” the site says in Latin. "Fight as a soldier, lead as a general, rise as a legend." It also confirms that the game will offer “controller-based gameplay enhanced by Kinect”, as opposed to being motion control exclusive. It was rumoured last month that Ryse and a new Forza were being planned as Xbox 720 launch titles, with the former supported by a new-and-improved Kinect sensor. Last night, Forza Motorsport 5 and a next-gen Kinect device were revealed alongside Microsoft’s new console.

We should know more in 20 days when E3 opens here in LA.

:wink:

Narukami

Roman Empire on X-Box - Flavivs Aetivs - 05-23-2013

I heard about it when Halo 4 was previewed last year at E3. Xbox One is gonna be expensive as hell though, and I doubt we'll get one which sucks.

Roman Empire on X-Box - Kegluneq - 05-23-2013

Apparently it uses the Kinect controller extensively - which is a fairly reliable indication that it'll be borderline unplayable... It'll probably be pretty though. Give it a few months after release date, and you'll probably be able to watch Let's Play videos of it on Youtube.

Roman Empire on X-Box - Flavivs Aetivs - 05-23-2013

Yeah Kinect makes games unplayable, in fact studies show there is absolutely no benefit to playing something like wii sports compared to real exercise. You might as well just be sitting down with your face over a drool bucket twidilling your thumbs on the controller.

Roman Empire on X-Box - Gunthamund Hasding - 05-24-2013

Quote:Yeah Kinect makes games unplayable, in fact studies show there is absolutely no benefit to playing something like wii sports compared to real exercise. You might as well just be sitting down with your face over a drool bucket twidilling your thumbs on the controller.
evan there are a lot of studies out there about a lot of things
just puting my 2 cents in the debate: at least you stand and not sit this should count for something
and for the game i would like to try it though probably will not buy a new console just for this game

Roman Empire on X-Box - Epictetus - 05-24-2013

There hasn't been many games set in the ancient world for consoles recently, has there?

Roman Empire on X-Box - Medicus matt - 05-24-2013

Quote:Apparently it uses the Kinect controller extensively - which is a fairly reliable indication that it'll be borderline unplayable...

From what I've seen so far, the uprated Kinect has been tweaked up considerably from the current level. It can identify movement in facial features, works at a range of 2 feet rather than 6+, has an IR sensor for dark conditions and can detect changes in heart rate. blood flow etc..

http://thenextweb.com/microsoft/2013/05/22/the-new-xbox-one-kinect-tracks-your-heart-rate-happiness-hands-and-hollers/

Roman Empire on X-Box - Flavivs Aetivs - 05-24-2013

There haven't been any games in the ancient world for console. The only thing close is the Empire in The Elder Scrolls, and some japanese like Colosseum game which was more anime than Gladiatorial Combat.

Roman Empire on X-Box - Kegluneq - 05-24-2013

Quote:There haven't been any games in the ancient world for console. The only thing close is the Empire in The Elder Scrolls, and some japanese like Colosseum game which was more anime than Gladiatorial Combat.
Well, not recently. Shadow of Rome was an awesome PS2 game that combined stealth game play with arena-based gladiatorial combat,with the ludicrous twist that you played as the young Octavian in the first role and as Agrippa in the latter. It was set following the death of Caesar and is as ahistorical and bonkers as you would expect.

There's been very little of the current generation that would also count, as far as I can tell. The first village in Dragon's Dogma looks Mediterranean (there are Roman-style oil lamps everywhere and villagers dressed in tunics), and some heavily Roman-inspired elements in Skyrim. Ezio Auditore also dons (appropriately inaccurate) lorica segmentata in the Coliseum in Assassin's Creed Brotherhood, but that's in the context of a Renaissance Passion Play...

Roman Empire on X-Box - Flavivs Aetivs - 05-24-2013

And the Horribly inaccurate Byzantines in Assassin's Creed Revelations.

All and all, this is my perspective of the Xbox One:
- Its internal components are better than most PCs, but they should have gone with Intel processors and Nvidia IMO over AMD, because they tend to have less problems.
- Halo TV Series, which is not exclusive to the console, is something I am definitely going to watch.
- Additional Xbox Live Fees are a bugger, I really hate that. Especially considering the possibility that a second Xbox Live account on the same console will have to pay additional money to play games they share.
- Kinect has been a rather big failure, and I'm surprised that most games for the One will require kinect for gameplay or kinect support. It seems to be being forced on the industry.
- Cannot play Xbox 360 Games on it
- Might require internet every 24 Hours. That's a real pain in the ass if you dont have internet and wanna play Halo 5.

I probably will buy the Halo Exclusive one in 2014/2015-ish. Sometimes I really wish they'd get rid of consoles entirely and port everything over to PC. Overall, it looks okay, some of the exclusive games look pretty good, like Ryse which is the Roman version of Skyrim it looks like. I really think that games should not be exclusive to one console though; my friend Alex would love to have Halo on his PS3. Bungie, the original producer of Halo, has the right idea with their new game Destiny, which will be on all consoles including Nintendo (which has been falling very far behind behind in the gaming industry) and PC.

Fun fact: Sony's stocks jumped 9% when they announced that Xbox One will have a heavy focus on TV and social media.

Roman Empire on X-Box - Epictetus - 05-25-2013

Quote:And the Horribly inaccurate Byzantines in Assassin's Creed Revelations.

That might be true, but I loved exploring Constantinople, and especially Rome in the earlier game. I spent hours just climbing on buildings and columns and aqueducts.

Roman Empire on X-Box - Flavivs Aetivs - 05-25-2013

I know, I just liked to run around and pull guards into haystacks. The most fun thing to do was to go "Peasant Bowling" where you grab one peasant and throw/roll him into a crowd of peasants and see how many you can knock down.

Roman Empire on X-Box - Medicus matt - 05-25-2013

Quote:The most fun thing to do was to go "Peasant Bowling" where you grab one peasant and throw/roll him into a crowd of peasants and see how many you can knock down.

Really? I thought the most fun thing was wandering around Rome thinking 'Now, if walk down here...turn left...walk a bit more etc then I should reach the XXXX of XXXX"...and finding that you did. I thought that was brilliant.

That and the fact that if you went up onto the roof of the Pantheon you found that they'd included the architectural mistakes. Properly geeky.

The best use of the Kinect so far has been with Skyrim, where it allows the use of voice commands for game saves, map views, inventory etc which means that you don't have to fart about and drop out out of the action to carry out mundane tasks.

Roman Empire on X-Box - Flavivs Aetivs - 05-25-2013

I only ever used kinect for some of the features in the Halo Combat Evolved Remake (Halo CEA)

Roman Empire on X-Box - Kegluneq - 05-25-2013

Quote:Really? I thought the most fun thing was wandering around Rome thinking 'Now, if walk down here...turn left...walk a bit more etc then I should reach the XXXX of XXXX"...and finding that you did. I thought that was brilliant.

That and the fact that if you went up onto the roof of the Pantheon you found that they'd included the architectural mistakes. Properly geeky.
Yeah, that was good fun. I was a bit disappointed that Trajan's column was generically textured, but I think that's just part of the high standard the rest of the game/games set.

Shame they didn't go to northern Europe in ACIII though. America was rather boring architecturally during the war of independence.

As for PC gaming - obviously you're going to get the best performance in any given year from a PC, but top of the range costs quite a bit. The advantage of console gaming is you can play any game at optimum performance, for a period of many years (especially this generation!).