RomanArmyTalk
RAT Conference 2014 - Where? - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Community (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Round Table (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: RAT Conference 2014 - Where? (/showthread.php?tid=22608)

Pages: 1 2 3

RAT Conference 2014 - Where? - Medusa Gladiatrix - 04-30-2013

I had discussions with Jurjen at the breakfast table and with Kai during the train ride to Nürnberg about the next conference esp. the venue where it should take place. A good point made by Kai was that it should be easily to be reached but many interesting Roman places are unfortunately not along the mainlines of trains or even close to an airport.

Based on those discussions I make this poll now. But just tick those venues which you really could visit if time etc. permits you to come to the conference and don't just tick the place you think most interesting.

I'm not too sure if this will be a multiple choice if not choose the most favorite place.

RAT Conference 2014 - Where? - Gesiþ - 04-30-2013

The only place across the Atlantic I might have the slightest chance of coming to in 14 would be somewhere in England.

RAT Conference 2014 - Where? - Medusa Gladiatrix - 04-30-2013

Quote:The only place across the Atlantic I might have the slightest chance of coming to in 14 would be somewhere in England.

That's always a problem we had that only the European RAT members meet and that the Americans need to organize something themselves due to the travel expenses. But actually Leiden is close to Schiphol Airport which is also a large hub in Europe so I guess it wouldn't make much a difference if flying to London (whatever airport) or to Schiphol (Amsterdam).

RAT Conference 2014 - Where? - M. Val. Naso - 04-30-2013

C'mon, let's go CARNUNTUM! Big Grin

RAT Conference 2014 - Where? - Vindex - 04-30-2013

Colchester is probably cheaper to stay in than Bath and there's certainly more parking!!

RAT Conference 2014 - Where? - Graham Sumner - 04-30-2013

I have always wanted to visit Trier but have never had the opportunity. Combining a visit with a RAT conference would be therefore be ideal.

Graham.

RAT Conference 2014 - Where? - Flavivs Aetivs - 04-30-2013

I voted Bath/Colchester, because in the about 1:100,000,000 chance I go overseas next year it would be to Britain

RAT Conference 2014 - Where? - damianlz - 04-30-2013

What you guys actually want to do is go to Sydney.

RAT Conference 2014 - Where? - jvrjenivs - 04-30-2013

One more thing by either option: We need someone to organise it there! So, for all those who voted please mention if you would like to organise. I can do the orga of Trier together with Christian.

RAT Conference 2014 - Where? - caiusbeerquitius - 04-30-2013

Yup. Trier would be organised by Jurjen and me.

RAT Conference 2014 - Where? - Robert - 04-30-2013

Could it be combined with the Messe at the Roman Villa of Borg? That is pretty close to Trier and the villa is well worth an excursion.

RAT Conference 2014 - Where? - caiusbeerquitius - 04-30-2013

That should be possible as such, but some of us are there as vendors/exhibitors - whole weekend-visitors, which might make their attendance to the conference difficult.

RAT Conference 2014 - Where? - Flavivs Aetivs - 04-30-2013

Or you guys can all come overseas to America :woot:

RAT Conference 2014 - Where? - Kai - 04-30-2013

As much as I like the US, the Roman presence there was rather limited... :whistle:

RATCs are great because you can visit nearby Roman sites and museums filled with Roman artifacts. In this respect, Regensburg was a nice choice.

...But so was Slovenia, and very very few actually came to visit, although the vote was overwhelmingly in its favour. Again what Svenja said: if you vote, vote for the place you really think you can visit.

RAT Conference 2014 - Where? - Medusa Gladiatrix - 05-01-2013

I would organize if it would be Xanten/Haltern/Bergkamen.