RomanArmyTalk
Size for a Paludamentum Brooch. - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Reenactment (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Roman Re-Enactment & Reconstruction (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Thread: Size for a Paludamentum Brooch. (/showthread.php?tid=22499)

Pages: 1 2

Size for a Paludamentum Brooch. - Vitruvius - 05-31-2013

AVE, Y"all!!!!
My Best Half, Antonia wants to make a cameo brooch for my paludamentum. Considering one of her numerous talents is Gem cutting and Jewelry making, I am VERY excited about the project! The question She and I have is this: For a Round shape, approximately what diameter should it be? Millimeters or inches, what ever measurement you use is fine. Antonia just reminded me that the onyx we hope to use are listed in Millimeters. Either way, Antonia and I thank y'all for your help in advance.
Salve to all,
Vitruvius and Antonia......aka Larry and Jaqui Mager

Size for a Paludamentum Brooch. - M. Demetrius - 05-31-2013

So you're excited about your lady making you jewelry? You've arrived at the pinnacle of Roman-tics. Send us a photo of your finished fibula and show us how you drape your paludamentum. Not far in the future, I'll probably graduate from Miles to Veteranus, and will wear that garment--and bore everyone with how great is was in the Golden Age when we did it a different way....

No, really, after a certain number of years, one is entitled to say, "Well, back in MY day, sonny, we used to -- " :wink:

Size for a Paludamentum Brooch. - ANTONIVS MAGNVS - 05-31-2013

What era? Earlier brooches tend to be quite simple in shape and style. Actual artifacts are tiny compared to what most people would think...
Round and ornate fibulae start becoming common in the 2nd century AD.

Size for a Paludamentum Brooch. - M. Demetrius - 06-01-2013

Got any photos Jay? I'd love to see some.

Size for a Paludamentum Brooch. - ANTONIVS MAGNVS - 06-01-2013

I have a few from my personal collection, mostly knee fibulae and dolphin types but I haven't photographed all of them:
http://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=18312
Fibulae and buckles are under "Italy, Greece and the Rest"

Hattatt's books are an excellent resource for Fibulae but the only one that is easily obtainable is "A Visual Caatalogue of Richard Hattatt's Ancient Brooches."
Got mine from Amazon, not very expensive, under $30. It contains all of his line drawings and dates from his collection with references.

Size for a Paludamentum Brooch. - PhilusEstilius - 06-01-2013

Larry.
Here are a couple of pictures of fasteners that are similar to button loop types but larger these are ones I have in my collection, the discs are 35mm diameter and the triangle bracket at the back is about 25mm X 25mm, the triangle would have gone through a slot to the back of the material and been stitched onto the cloth.
There is also a pic' of brooch that is known as an Umbernate that still has blue inlays that are simply made from a paste, the other segments may have been yellow or red.

Having a bit trouble up loading pic's again but here are the others mentioned.

Here we go at pic's again.

This crazy upload system we have now will not let me put up more than one picture at a time

And again.

I would dearly like to know why this system will not let you see just what you are loading before putting forward your post as it did before being updated. ????

Size for a Paludamentum Brooch. - M. Demetrius - 06-01-2013

When I put up a picture, after I've clicked "Add File", it opens a second, similar box underneath. But maybe it's a different browser. Asking a computer "Why" is a futile effort. :unsure:

Those pictures look like the objects are very similar to belt toggles. Is there a loop sewn onto the cloth that slips over the disc? About what diameter are the discs? Could a regular fibula be used for a clasp?

David.
The problem I've been having indeed might be as you say a browser however prior to the new upgrade of the site I never had this problem but not to worry on that.
These discs are not belt toggles but simply larger button loop fasteners where the triangle bracket part goes through the cloth and is sewn on the inside of a garment then with a slot or a button hole made in the other side of the material that goes over the disc and secures the cloak.
These discs are 35mm diameter and the decorative one would also have had a triangle bracket but that is now lost, and this one would also have had coloured inlays in it similar to the umbernate brooch. However that one was secured by a pin as can be seen and I was amazed when I found it and have had to be so very carefull that it does not get snapped, and this umbernate is just a bit larger at around 38mm.

Here is a replica that I made of a trumpet style brooch that would have been used to hold a garment, however it was used upside down to that shown where the cloth folds would have been held in the curve of it.

Here is a replica of a Trumpet type brooch I made that could also have been used to hold a garment, it would however have been used the other way around where the cloth folds would have been held in the wide curve of it.