RomanArmyTalk
Getting ready for walking Hadrian\'s Wall - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Reenactment (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Roman Re-Enactment & Reconstruction (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Thread: Getting ready for walking Hadrian\'s Wall (/showthread.php?tid=22115)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Getting ready for walking Hadrian\'s Wall - ParthianBow - 02-12-2013

More preparation for my walk along Hadrian's Wall in April, for charity.

My Roman boots, post soaking in neatsfoot oil.

Plus, my Montefortino, back from John Blaymires (thanks, John!) with its new crest.

Getting ready for Hadrian\'s Wall - ParthianBow - 02-12-2013

[attachment=6417]IMAG0696_2013-02-12.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=6418]IMAG0694_2013-02-12.jpg[/attachment]

More preparation for my walk along Hadrian's Wall in April, for charity.

My Roman boots, post soaking in neatsfoot oil.

Plus, my Montefortino, back from John Blaymires (thanks, John!) with its new crest.

Getting ready for Hadrian\'s Wall - Flavivs Aetivs - 02-12-2013

Threads Merged

Also, I like you equipment! Looking forward to seeing this event.

Getting ready for Hadrian\'s Wall - Gaius Julius Caesar - 02-12-2013

Good luck with walk Ben and Anthony!
Wish I could do this with you!

Getting ready for Hadrian\'s Wall - D B Campbell - 02-13-2013

Quote:My Roman boots, post soaking in neatsfoot oil.
"Medicus Martinus" with airwair soles? Wink

Getting ready for Hadrian\'s Wall - ANTONIVS MAGNVS - 02-13-2013

Quote:
ParthianBow post=330359 Wrote:My Roman boots, post soaking in neatsfoot oil.
"Medicus Martinus" with airwair soles? Wink

:-D

Getting ready for Hadrian\'s Wall - M. Demetrius - 02-13-2013

Those are some long feathers, Ben. What kind of bird grew those?
Great looking boots, btw.

Getting ready for walking Hadrian\'s Wall - ParthianBow - 02-13-2013

They're pheasant feathers, I think. Glad you like the boots. Thanks to everyone for their comments.

The good news is that in just 3 weeks, we've raised over £3100/E3600/$4600 for charity!

Expecting my undertunics, tunic and cloak any day from Cheyenne/Claire Marshall. Excited!

Getting ready for walking Hadrian\'s Wall - M. Demetrius - 02-14-2013

Best of all things to your venture, comilites. Watch your step. A turned ankle is not beneficial, no matter what century you live in. :|

Getting ready for walking Hadrian\'s Wall - ParthianBow - 02-18-2013

Been out three times with scutum now, 4mi/6.5 km each time. Wore helmet once - lost a feather, but fortunately found it again when I drove the route afterwards. I need to move the location of the straps a little so that the shield rides up a couple of cm higher - it still knocks off my left leg occasionally. Otherwise, it's reasonably comfortable to carry...

Getting ready for walking Hadrian\'s Wall - ParthianBow - 02-18-2013

[attachment=6476]IMAG0701_2013-02-17.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=6477]IMAG0703_2013-02-17.jpg[/attachment]
Been out three times with scutum now, 4mi/6.5 km each time. Wore helmet once - lost a feather, but fortunately found it again when I drove the route afterwards. I need to move the location of the straps a little so that the shield rides up a couple of cm higher - it still knocks off my left leg occasionally. Otherwise, it's reasonably comfortable to carry...

Getting ready for Hadrian\'s Wall - Ironman - 02-21-2013

Hi
I'm doing my own walk, check out www.wallwalk.com.au
Can I ask where you got the boots?
Regards
Craig

Getting ready for walking Hadrian\'s Wall - M. Demetrius - 02-21-2013

There is a thread somewhere about the carry strap system. Could you put a detail of what you made there? It would be good to see for several reasons. :?:

Getting ready for walking Hadrian\'s Wall - ParthianBow - 02-21-2013

@Craig: I got them made by Sarah Juniper, who has been making ancient replica footwear for over 30 years. They're a copy of calcei found in Mainz. Worth every single penny. She ships all over the world too.

BTW: her boots are all handstitched - not glued, as a lot of caligae/boots are - and I'm told that those ones fall to pieces, whereas hers do not.

Good luck with your walk - it's a shame that we can't meet you en route. We're lucky enough to be having Mike Bishop, an archaeologist, author and wall expert, to guide us.

@M. Demetrius: I will - for sure!

Getting ready for walking Hadrian\'s Wall - Robert Vermaat - 02-21-2013

Quote:I got them made by Sarah Juniper, who has been making ancient replica footwear for over 30 years. [..] her boots are all handstitched - not glued, as a lot of caligae/boots are - and I'm told that those ones fall to pieces, whereas hers do not.
I can vouch for the quality of her shoes. She made my Deurne shoes in 2005 and they are still holding up beautifully!

The only minor point would be that she does not do hobnails. At least she stopped doing that shortly before I bought mine.