RomanArmyTalk
Private Messages \"Spammed\" - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Community (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Round Table (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: Private Messages \"Spammed\" (/showthread.php?tid=21335)

Pages: 1 2

Private Messages \"Spammed\" - Vindex - 09-28-2012

HELP PLEASE! :o

My personal email account notification showed 8 PMs from RAT (all the same sender via an invitation to the Greek and Hellenistic Cavalry Group).

Within the PM system on RAT there is nothing at all! :???:

Has anyone else had this? And how can messages show in my linked email account and not in my RAT PM Inbox?

Private Messages \"Spammed\" - Gaius Julius Caesar - 09-28-2012

Sounds like SPAM to me! I would just ignore and delete them!

Private Messages \"Spammed\" - Graham Sumner - 09-28-2012

Hi Moi

I had the same last night, about eight messages all from the same sender asking the same question. Is there a Greek and Hellenistic cavalry group?

Graham.

Quote:Sounds like SPAM to me! I would just ignore and delete them!

I have but I'm more interested in how it has happened and how they got access to my PM on a membership only Forum :|

Thanks Graham - and I don't know if there is such a group either. Sad

Private Messages \"Spammed\" - caiusbeerquitius - 09-28-2012

Me too.

Private Messages \"Spammed\" - Dithrambus - 09-28-2012

I had an invitation to join the Hellenistic cavalry group in my email inbox, just did so there is such a group. There was also a link to an online supplier which seemed to offer mostly junk. :-|

Private Messages \"Spammed\" - Dithrambus - 09-28-2012

An invitation to join a group here at RAT may not appear in your PM inbox. John Conyard is a member of the group which would imply its legit, but I also had 8 emails which included both invitations to join the group and links to the crappy online store.

Private Messages \"Spammed\" - jvrjenivs - 09-28-2012

Yes, it is indeed a group on the community part of this forum, which John originally started over a year ago.

I also got those emails and it seems that just another India user (Raja) is now using the group to sell his crappy products. (like 'helmats' whatever that may be???)

Private Messages \"Spammed\" - Gaius Julius Caesar - 09-28-2012

Quote:Yes, it is indeed a group on the community part of this forum, which John originally started over a year ago.

I also got those emails and it seems that just another India user (Raja) is now using the group to sell his crappy products. (like 'helmats' whatever that may be???)

Doormats for the gates of hel?

I seem to have been spared the spam, fortunately!

Private Messages \"Spammed\" - Renatus - 09-28-2012

I also received the eight e-mails. They purported to come from Romanarmy.com but were from this character Raja. A few weeks ago, I received a 'Friends' request from him, which seemed harmless enough at the time and which I, perhaps unwisely, accepted. On reading this thread, I looked at my Friends list and saw from his details there that he had 93 Friends. He now has 92.

Private Messages \"Spammed\" - 66kbm - 09-28-2012

Ditto
Deleted them all
Kevin

Well, there's some comfort in knowing it isn't just me (but not a lot).

Perhaps another nail in the coffin of the social aspects on the Forum.

Private Messages \"Spammed\" - 66kbm - 09-28-2012

I'm gutted that i never get the mails through from "king olaffy the third from kenya" anymore telling me he needs my bank account to deposit $10,000,000,000 as he aint got one. I allways replied to these, with somewhat comical content, everyday for a month, they soon get pissed off.
Kevin

Private Messages \"Spammed\" - jvrjenivs - 09-28-2012

Quote:Well, there's some comfort in knowing it isn't just me (but not a lot).

Perhaps another nail in the coffin of the social aspects on the Forum.

Well, I think it has less to do with the social features as it does with on-board spamming in general. I recently also got a private message asking me for help. (Just asking if I would answer specific question, not the questions itself). I just advised the guy to ask them on the public board. Still the PM-function could be used to SPAM.

Better just get this user account (Raja) blocked and deleted.

Private Messages \"Spammed\" - M. Demetrius - 09-29-2012

Quote: I allways replied to these,
I reply, saying, "Just PayPal it to this email address, and thanks!"

No money so far, but I'm not giving up yet.