RomanArmyTalk
Blocked from replying - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Community (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Round Table (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: Blocked from replying (/showthread.php?tid=21245)

Pages: 1 2

Blocked from replying - mcbishop - 08-19-2012

This is becoming rather annoying. I am still being blocked by RAT from replying to the thread 'New book on Hadrian's Wall' with 403 errors moaning about my IP address (although I am able to post in other areas). What is going on?!

Mike Bishop

Re: Blocked from replying - M. Demetrius - 08-19-2012

Checking. BRB.

Re: Blocked from replying - jvrjenivs - 08-20-2012

Got the same error on some (random) topics as well over the last few months. Seems to be a temporary block, though, as I was able to comment few days later every time. Still annoying of course.

Re: Blocked from replying - Caballo - 08-20-2012

That can't be right. I can't sort this technologically due to IT incompetence...but I know a man who can... :roll:

Re: Blocked from replying - richsc - 08-20-2012

Just as an IT person, are you replying from a work computer? RAT may have been blocked at the firewall?

Re: Blocked from replying - mcbishop - 08-20-2012

Well my work pc is my home pc but the weird thing is I can post on some threads but not others and the non-posting thing happens regardless of browser (tried Firefox, Chrome, and Chromium). Tried flushing caches, reloading pages etc etc but it makes no difference. Even tried using an anonymizing proxy (which in theory should mask my IP address), but all to no avail.

Yet I can reply to this!

Mike Bishop

Re: Blocked from replying - Epictetus - 08-20-2012

Are you just posting text, or are you including a link or picture or file or something?

Just links to web pages, all of which I checked as existing (I was trying to explain how to get the Kindle software so linked to their various download pages and the Kindle Cloud Reader page). Hopefully that one worked!

A symptom of the problem I have noticed is that the RAT posting preview will not work.

Mike Bishop

Re: Blocked from replying - Praefectusclassis - 08-20-2012

It's very strange Mike. The logical solution to try would be an update of the forum system (there IS one available), but it would also require an (expensive) update of the 'Social' system. Maybe we need a poll on that thing...?

Quote:It's very strange Mike. The logical solution to try would be an update of the forum system (there IS one available), but it would also require an (expensive) update of the 'Social' system. Maybe we need a poll on that thing...?
Well logically the problem could lie at one or more of several layers: my pc, my network, my ISP, your webspace provider, your hardware, your software and I would not have thought the spasmodic 403s that are being reported are enough to justify blaming any one culprit. I've certainly been posting to RAT since the last upgrade and, barring one brief burst of 403s that others also experienced, have had no problems until today. Bizarre that it is only a specific thread that seems to be affected. Hey ho. They'll just have to live without my wit and wisdom ;-)

I did have a false positive on a spam blacklist which shut down my Per Lineam Valli blog the other day but Wordpress.com apologized and said it was an error and reinstated it as soon as I complained. Something must have set it off (and I did a thorough trawl through the windoze pcs on the network for viri/botnets etc with no results) and that was presumably against my IP address. Go figure...

Mike Bishop

Re: Blocked from replying - D B Campbell - 08-21-2012

Quote:A symptom of the problem I have noticed is that the RAT posting preview will not work.
This happened to me before, and I narrowed it down to certain words in my message (not sure if there may actually be a database of banned words?). The preview gave it away, as it disappeared as soon as I typed a "banned" word.

Re: Blocked from replying - mcbishop - 08-21-2012

Quote:
mcbishop post=318725 Wrote:A symptom of the problem I have noticed is that the RAT posting preview will not work.
This happened to me before, and I narrowed it down to certain words in my message (not sure if there may actually be a database of banned words?). The preview gave it away, as it disappeared as soon as I typed a "banned" word.
That could well be it. I, of course, just kept pasting the same piece of text back in and got the same results each time. Now that I have posted something different, it has worked!

Mike Bishop

Re: Blocked from replying - Gaius Julius Caesar - 08-21-2012

I have had the same issue at times on various threads.
And the preview thread has not been available since the new forum
Format came about! (or was it just me?)

Re: Blocked from replying - Robert Vermaat - 08-21-2012

Quote:
mcbishop post=318725 Wrote:A symptom of the problem I have noticed is that the RAT posting preview will not work.
I've so far not experienced such reply problems, and the 'preview' seems to work fine too (now that I've used it for the first time) :oops:
Both my work as well as home pc use older browsers.

Re: Blocked from replying - Gaius Julius Caesar - 08-21-2012

Quote:
D B Campbell post=318786 Wrote:
I've so far not experienced such reply problems, and the 'preview' seems to work fine too (now that I've used it for the first time) :oops:
Both my work as well as home pc use older browsers.

What preview function?