RomanArmyTalk
New Spartacus poster for Comic-Con - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Recreational Arena (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=18)
+--- Thread: New Spartacus poster for Comic-Con (/showthread.php?tid=21044)

Pages: 1 2

New Spartacus poster for Comic-Con - Redguru - 07-10-2012

try to note any historical discrepancies

[Image: 2nnept.jpg]

Re: New Spartacus poster for Comic-Con - Vindex - 07-11-2012

Oooh that's a hard one... Confusedhock:

Erm.....<scratches forehead>

The eagle is upside down?????

:mrgreen:

Re: New Spartacus poster for Comic-Con - Renatus - 07-11-2012

Quote:The eagle is upside down?????
So that's what it is. I thought it was a hitherto unknown gladiatorial weapon covered in blood!

Re: New Spartacus poster for Comic-Con - 66kbm - 07-11-2012

Its Sean Bean..... Confusedhock:
Kevin

Re: New Spartacus poster for Comic-Con - Narukami - 07-11-2012

Spartacus and his army never captured a Legion's Eagle. Confusedhock:

Several years ago the Warner Brothers booth at Comic-Con gave away cardboard shields with the 300 logo and info. I wonder if the Starz booth will have any swag for give-aways ...

I'll be there on Sunday -- perhaps I can obtain one of these fabled posters.

:? :roll: :wink:

Narukami

Re: New Spartacus poster for Comic-Con - richsc - 07-11-2012

What is the seaweed doing there?

Quote:
Vindex post=316163 Wrote:The eagle is upside down?????
So that's what it is. I thought it was a hitherto unknown gladiatorial weapon covered in blood!

Took me a while to work it out too!

Quote: ...I'll be there on Sunday -- perhaps I can obtain one of these fabled posters.

:? :roll: :wink:

Narukami

And ceremoniously burn it I hope.

Or save it as an example of the eternal struggle between Hollywood and History. :|

Though in truth, by Sunday, most booths will have little left in the way of swag, gack, or free give-aways. Even so, Comic-Con is an event all unto itself. Confusedhock:

[attachment=4605]495-DMK.jpg[/attachment]

:wink:

Narukami

Speaking of Hollywood Romans ...

The Criterion Collection and Barnes & Noble are having the annual 50% Off Sale on all Criterion DVD and Blu-ray discs. Some great titles and superb disc mastering, including Spartacus.

For those who might not already have a copy, this is the version to own. Yes, $25 is expensive for a DVD, but this edition is worth every penny.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/dvd-spartacus/5761319?ean=715515011723&itm=631

For those who love the art of cinema, this is a sale worth checking out.

Narukami

Re: New Spartacus poster for Comic-Con - Kegluneq - 07-11-2012

"2013 A.D."

Spartacus has been a great series so looking forward to the conclusion. Though I think it's fair to say he does a lot of things in the show that never happened in real life...

Re: New Spartacus poster for Comic-Con - john m roberts - 07-11-2012

Anyone who mistakes "Spartacus" for history deserves to be misled. That said, I love the series, I just recognize it for what it is. From time to time, they even manage to slip in a bit of historical accuracy and don't even point it out. Such as the time last season after the amphitheater catastrophe, when Glaber was stubbly-bearded and wearing ratty clothes. They never mentioned it, but this was because his household was in mourning for the death of his father-in-law (okay, he killed him himself, but gotta keep up appearences, ya know). The series is so much fun that it makes up for not being all ponderous and painstakingly accurate. Took me a while to figure out that was an eagle, too.

Re: New Spartacus poster for Comic-Con - ParthianBow - 07-11-2012

An odd weapon, all right. I'll go with John and say it's great TV, with moments of accuracy, but great swathes of totally off the wall material. It's very enjoyable, however. I will be interested to see how good Liam McIntyre is compared to Andy Whitfield, who I thought was outstanding.

Quote:Spartacus and his army never captured a Legion's Eagle. Confusedhock:

Err, yes, they did. When Castus and Gannicus breakaway section was defeated, the Romans recovered no less than five eagles. (Livy, via The Spartacus War by Barry Strauss.)

Given that Spartacus' army defeated not just Glaber, but both consuls on their own, and then both consuls fighting together, as well as the proconsul of Cisalpine Gaul, it's easily conceivable that they took more than five.

Re: New Spartacus poster for Comic-Con - Quintius Clavus - 07-11-2012

And to add to Ben's post, the Romans felt shamed by having to fight gladiators and slaves, thus they may have downplayed or simply not mentioned the loss of legionary Eagles. Also, because legions of that time did not have a long life, it would not be something to remember in a legion's subsequent history. To the best of my knowledge, Crassus disbanded his legions once Spartacus was defeated and the captured slaves/gladiators punished - and would have been expected to do so.

I have a copy of Barry Strauss's book (at home).

Like everyone else, it took me a moment or two of close examination to see that it was an Eagle.

Re: New Spartacus poster for Comic-Con - Narukami - 07-12-2012

Quote:
Narukami post=316169 Wrote:Spartacus and his army never captured a Legion's Eagle. Confusedhock:

Err, yes, they did. When Castus and Gannicus breakaway section was defeated, the Romans recovered no less than five eagles. (Livy, via The Spartacus War by Barry Strauss.)

Given that Spartacus' army defeated not just Glaber, but both consuls on their own, and then both consuls fighting together, as well as the proconsul of Cisalpine Gaul, it's easily conceivable that they took more than five.

Well. don't i feel the fool ... :oops:

I now stand, or more accurately, sit corrected. I even have a copy of Professor Strauss's book, though at present I can not find my copy (perhaps the anti-Roman rebels have made a raid on my house). I do not remember that fact about the loss of eagles and I wonder if Glaber's unit actually had an eagle - was it considered a legion? However, it does seem clear, given the other units defeated by Spartacus, that the capture of several eagles is not just more than likely but obvious to the point of saying 'How did I miss that?' :? Confusedhock:

As I have said before, and firmly believe, not a week goes by that I do not learn something on this site. :|

On the other hand, with regards to the show itself ... It really is like a bag of potato chips. It's really not nutritious, you know it's not good for you, and yes you will regret it in the morning but damn -- it's just so tasty.

I am not a big fan of the series, and rarely ever watch it, but as we have noted here in the past, even bad shows about Rome are better than no shows about Rome. Most of the time .... :roll:

Once again thank you for the corrections.

Narukami