RomanArmyTalk
Show your Roman artwork - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Reenactment (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Roman Re-Enactment & Reconstruction (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Thread: Show your Roman artwork (/showthread.php?tid=20975)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40

Show your Roman artwork - Alanus - 04-03-2013

Go for it! :cheer:

What coloring medium will you use?

Show your Roman artwork - Flavivs Aetivs - 04-04-2013

Colored Pencil, because that's the only thing i have.

Show your Roman artwork - Diocle - 04-04-2013

Sorry guys, but I had to do this madness: I post here my sketch about a Roman Legionary wearing the famous 'Alba Julia' LS!
It's almost a form of fixation for me, from the first time I saw the image of the Adamklissi relief showing this strange armour, the Alba Julia didn't leave my mind! So I tried to exorcise this Dacian gost, drawing it.
The armor might be also of Leather, but I chose three large iron strips, the (in-)famous mantle of scales is somehow a mystery, so I chose rectangular scales. The Helmet wanted to be an Hedderneim of the most symple type :razz:. The man has an big oval shield and he is holding a long spear, he wears his spatha on the left and in conclusion, we might suppose that he is living during the first half of the III century, maybe under Severus.... :unsure:

Sorry for this invasion but try to understand my silly obsession about Alba Julia LS! Confusedilly:

[Image: kt1.jpg]

Show your Roman artwork - AMELIANVS - 04-05-2013

Hello Carlo,
it's not madness at all,killing a persian messengers by Spartans was madness :grin:
Your picture gives me more impression of an cavalryman than usual infantryman,but definitely,also infantry of this time might looked this way-personally I love how roman army dressed up in the 3rd century.
keep drawing and try to do some new ones Smile

Show your Roman artwork - Diocle - 04-05-2013

Thanks Master Pavel, so here another obsession from my contorted mind: The big helmets of the third century which enclosed the face, terrible and mysteryous mask helmets....they have something of medieval and Baroque, and I find them astonishing!

So here an important officer, wearing scale armor and three orders of decorated pteruges, his head is encased in a Worthing type helmet, with an high crest portraying a draco (or an eagle? I've still to decide what I kind of beast I've represented! : :razz: ):

[Image: Legatus.jpg]

Show your Roman artwork - AMELIANVS - 04-05-2013

Hey,that was pretty quick :grin: !
I like this even more.What is his dating?Also third century I guess,but could probably be even from the start of fourth.
It also might be interesting to see this in color.

Show your Roman artwork - Diocle - 04-05-2013

Thank you very much Master! Confusedmile:

The Helmet is actually III century, but I agree with you, I like to imagine this man as an officer of Diocletianus or of Maxentius...or even of Licinius.....

To colour my works abitually I use watercolours.....and pastels (they are useful to cover the mistakes in watercolors works! :razz: )

Show your Roman artwork - Alexand96 - 04-06-2013

Wow, you guys have some serious talent....so, draw some Republicans!!! Confusedmile:

Show your Roman artwork - Diocle - 04-06-2013

Republicans?...Do you mean those men 160 cm tall, who built the Empire?

Beware Alexand96, they are small angry and ungry men....... Cool

[Image: SmallampHardbyCKT.jpg]

Show your Roman artwork - Flavivs Aetivs - 04-06-2013

Awesome! Although his legs seem a little off proportion IMO.

Show your Roman artwork - AMELIANVS - 04-06-2013

And nice shield design Carlo.

Show your Roman artwork - Diocle - 04-07-2013

Thanks Magister! I'll look at the legs more closely! :whistle:

...and thanks Pavel, the shield is a mix from various images, it might be believable for the republican age, I should try with watercolors.

The last sketch:'Pharsalus: the Aftermath'
A man of the Legio X, of Caesar, kills and captures the Vexillum of a Pompeian.

Confession: I'm with Caesar, because I would have been with the Populares, with Graccus and Marius... so, at Pharsalus, I would have been with Caius Iulius.

[Image: FarsalobyKTSGsmall.jpg]

Show your Roman artwork - Alexand96 - 04-07-2013

Fantastic work Diocle!! Not often enough do I see a skilled hand and eye turn the proper attention to the Republic.

Although I must warn you in return, they are not so small or hungry as I, and if you stand with Caius Marius...well, then... Wink

I applaud all of you gentleman more skilled than I, and urge you to keep these works coming!

Show your Roman artwork - Diocle - 04-07-2013

Thanks Alex, but these are only sketches, dreams from an old wargamer, nothing more.
This time a man, a Centurio, of the XIII! Yes the Legio of Pullo et Vorenus!
He's a veteran of the Gaulic Wars, and he wears bracae and an iron Agen-Port helmet, but the times are changing, Caius Iulius has been murdered and now the new Triumviri are ready to annihilate the killers, so the shield is a little ... Imperial! :grin:

I used GIMP to give a touch of sepia as an ancient drawing, because I'll try to use watercolor on the original version, that the Gods protect me.

It's my first time with an Agen-Port so be ... merciful please dear friends!

[Image: Centuriosepia.jpg]

Colored with watercolors and guache, what do you think? I'm not a colorist.

[Image: CenturiocolorKT.jpg]

Show your Roman artwork - Flavivs Aetivs - 04-08-2013

Your legs seem to be a little to short on your republican soldiers, but I think its just me. I tend to draw soldiers with long legs. Anyways, great work, my best works painting were in kindergarten :lol:

I wish I could paint like you, you should put this up on Deviantart