RomanArmyTalk
Show your Roman artwork - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Reenactment (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Roman Re-Enactment & Reconstruction (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Thread: Show your Roman artwork (/showthread.php?tid=20975)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40

Show your Roman artwork - Virilis - 03-20-2014

Yes, genuine feathers sounds plausible as "ad hoc" solution in the field to differentiate between roman soldiers.

Show your Roman artwork - Flavivs Aetivs - 03-20-2014

Yeah, Feathers had been used for centuries and I have put some on my drawings of Roman Helmets before.

Show your Roman artwork - armet - 03-20-2014

Hello.
This is my new decurion helmet.

Show your Roman artwork - Flavivs Aetivs - 03-20-2014

Was painting some Roman Helmets with Acrylics today in Art class. I really like Acrylics, much easier to use and control than watercolors.

Show your Roman artwork - AMELIANVS - 03-26-2014

I want to boast with original painting from Graham Sumner I just received a couple of days back.
It is great to see such original painting with your own eyes and having opportunity to touch it(to know it was really made by real existing person and not by some miracle :grin: ) you could also learn from it much better than when you see it only in reproduction as it is much more clear how artist made it.
I can imagine it might be partialy painfull to leave to someone else an original artwork you created(or at least such would be my feelings)but picture will have a nice "life" at me.
Maybe I let it frame in the future but just now I have it on my drawing table next to my own works in progress and I used to look on it everytime,for example,when I am waiting for the paint to dry and allow me to continue in work Confusedmile:

P.S:thanks for a bonus in the form of the Roman soldiers post cards!
It also took surprisingly short time for the painting to get from England to Central Europe.

If someone is interrested in having his own original from Graham take a look here:

http://www.romanarmytalk.com/67-for-sale/322570-original-paintings-for-sale.html?limitstart=0&start=15

Quote: I really like Acrylics, much easier to use and control than watercolors.

Definitely :!:

Show your Roman artwork - Decebalus - 03-26-2014

I can fully understand you, Pavel.
About 25 years ago I had the opportunity to hold an original painting by Gerry Embleton in my hands and was impressed how much better it looks compared to the final book illustration.
Apart from Graham Sumner I would love to have a look at originals by Graham Turner, Nikolay Zubkov and - of course - Angus McBride.

To your second photo: don't touch it! It's gouache! :grin:

To add something Roman:

[attachment=9400]TT06b-Dolche1_fertig.jpg[/attachment]
Left Titelberg, right Oberaden

I had to touch it! That was my very first reaction.But don't worry I did it only very carefully Confusedmile:

P.S:very nice metal surface impression and light reflections in your pic!

Show your Roman artwork - Flavivs Aetivs - 03-26-2014

Isn't the spine running down the middle of the blade a misinterpreted double tang by the Manufacturers?

Show your Roman artwork - AMELIANVS - 03-27-2014

Quote: I really like Acrylics, much easier to use and control than watercolors.

Show your Roman artwork - Decebalus - 03-27-2014

Quote:Isn't the spine running down the middle of the blade a misinterpreted double tang by the Manufacturers?

I am not shure if I know what you mean (and which blade). How should the spine be a tang (the extension of the blade which is the core of the grip)? :-?

Quote:Magister Militum Flavius Aetius wrote:
I really like Acrylics, much easier to use and control than watercolors.

I tried acrylics just one time and found them very difficult to use because they dry too fast (sometimes still on the brush Sick ) and when dried the game is over - very annoying...
That's why I prefer gouache - it stays water soluble and gives you the opportunity to change something, if necessary.

Show your Roman artwork - Flavivs Aetivs - 03-27-2014

Quote:
Magister Militum Flavius Aetius post=353185 Wrote:Isn't the spine running down the middle of the blade a misinterpreted double tang by the Manufacturers?

I am not shure if I know what you mean (and which blade). How should the spine be a tang (the extension of the blade which is the core of the grip)? :-?

I tried acrylics just one time and found them very difficult to use because they dry too fast (sometimes still on the brush Sick ) and when dried the game is over - very annoying...
That's why I prefer gouache - it stays water soluble and gives you the opportunity to change something, if necessary.

I meant Double Fuller.

Show your Roman artwork - Graham Sumner - 03-27-2014

Andreas wrote: I tried acrylics just one time and found them very difficult to use because they dry too fast (sometimes still on the brush ) and when dried the game is over - very annoying...

My thoughts exactly as I had the same experience. While I was happy with the landscape and sky using broad brushstrokes, when it came to the figures I found it hard to include the detail. Also as I said before I sometimes use a finger rather than a brush to blend things in. That proved rather difficult.

It is however possible to use a wet palette to keep the Acrylics from going hard. Some years ago I had the pleasure of working with Graham Turner and we have met several times. I also went to see an exhibition of both his and his father Michael's paintings.

Nevertheless I would like to learn how to properly use Oils, something which I have not tried since Art School more years ago than I care to remember!

Andreas wrote: Apart from Graham Sumner I would love to have a look at originals by Graham Turner, Nikolay Zubkov and - of course - Angus McBride.

I did have an exhibition of originals at Augsburg Roman Museum a few years ago. Hopefully I will have other exhibitions soon. Nevertheless I do have some originals for sale in the Marketplace section and will also offer a couple of originals up for auction again this year to help with the Charities for Ben Kane and Tony Riches.

Graham.

Show your Roman artwork - arminius - 03-27-2014

No double fuller - just spines ...

Show your Roman artwork - AMELIANVS - 03-28-2014

Quote:
Magister Militum Flavius Aetius post=353185 Wrote:Isn't the spine running down the middle of the blade a misinterpreted double tang by the Manufacturers?

I will definitely try gouache one day!