RomanArmyTalk
Show your Roman artwork - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Reenactment (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Roman Re-Enactment & Reconstruction (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Thread: Show your Roman artwork (/showthread.php?tid=20975)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40

Show your Roman artwork - AMELIANVS - 02-20-2014

As for Greek version,could this work?- τύραννος Μαυρίκιος, ο γιος του Φωτεινός...and don't tell me there's no Greek around to know it the best :errr:

Show your Roman artwork - T. Flavius - 02-20-2014

Hm, "Tyrannus" doesn't sound like something a Roman would advertise on his gravestone Wink But here goes:

Mauricius Tyrannus filiique (sui)

I admit I'm not very knowledgeable about the abbreviations, especially not for your time period.

In Greek - shouldn't the sons be υἱόι ? (But with a circumflex above the omikron? Gosh, my Greek was so long ago...)

Show your Roman artwork - AMELIANVS - 02-20-2014

Thanks for try, at least someone Smile!...But you don't sound much confident in this likewise :wink: ...Well tyrannus is latin form of greek tyrannos but I have no Idea if they would write it like this and especially I'm not sure how would this be in greek.I must hope someone who really can speak in greek will help.And if not and result will be grammaticaly incorrect nobody should complain on it -you all had your chance to make it right Tongue :evil: !

Oh, "tyrannus" is definitely proper Latin and spelt correctly, and I can at least guarantee for grammatical correctness in my Latin - Greek was really too long ago.

I put "sui" in brackets because you don't usually write "his/their/her" in Latin, but just leave it out if it's clear anyway.

Show your Roman artwork - Quintius Clavus - 02-20-2014

Hi Jenny,
I see you had already found Roman Army Talk. This is an absolutely wonderful forum stuffed full of people with a wealth of information. I have already "liked" you and commented on your facebook page. I am very much enjoying the artwork and snippets of text you share. Graham Sumner is a good man to be acquainted with - I really enjoy his artwork.
I'm curious about the Varus Project you mentioned. I have an admitted obsession with the Varus and the Teutoburg Forest battle.
Anyway, Welcome to RAT and I am very much looking forward to your finished "Darkness Over Cannae" novel.

Thank you, Quinton! The Varus Battle would have been a comic of about 52 pages. I had scribbled half of them when I became pregnant with my daughter, and that caused me to call it off. The publisher and I never picked it up again, because it was meant to be done by 2009, obviously.

Some scribbles below... (all in German, sorry)

[attachment=9076]var_legioscr.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=9077]var_scr_2.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=9078]var_scr_3.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=9079]var_scr_18.jpg[/attachment]

The project will likely never be picked up again, because I was never that much at home in the early imperial period.

But do you know the absolutely fantastic "Les Aigles de Rome" comic by Enrico Marini? It's been translated into several languages (everything but English, I think, in fact), and is the story of Arminius and a Roman nobleman who start as friends and then, of course, end up on different sides. Marini is one of my favourite artists.

Show your Roman artwork - Graham Sumner - 02-20-2014

But do you know the absolutely fantastic "Les Aigles de Rome" comic by Enrico Marini? It's been translated into several languages (everything but English, I think, in fact), and is the story of Arminius and a Roman nobleman who start as friends and then, of course, end up on different sides. Marini is one of my favourite artists.

I have the set of those as well as the Murena series and a couple of the Dutch comic series Vae Victis. My current interest however is a non Roman series about a WW1 pilot by Hugault. Fantastic artwork in that series too!

I always stock up on books like this whenever I travel to continental Europe because they are not available in shops in the UK but of course you can get them now via Amazon. Comic books are generally regarded as only for Children in the UK but of course the content of these books is definitely not aimed at them. In fact it always amuses me that you can get them everywhere you go in places like France and Germany and often they are next to the children's books. A situation which would probably cause heart failures over here and outrage in the press!

Indeed I think illustration in general is appreciated better in the rest of Europe than in the UK.

Graham.

That's interesting that you think so. Germany is usually regarded as a developing country when it comes to comics (the French are huge there, Spanish and Italian are all right too). I'm very active on a German comics forum and I hear and see a lot - a lot of complaints, mainly! Most comic artists here - and illustrators too - work in advertising as a "day job" and do the more fun bits on the side.

Show your Roman artwork - Koyuncu - 02-20-2014

I adore you GoldSeven, I wish I had one percentage of your talent. Good luck and keep them coming for our eye health. Smile

Show your Roman artwork - Alexand96 - 02-20-2014

Wow, I wonder why all of the comics over here seem to be such fictional, fantastical garbage...I'd just love to see a Roman triarius impale a superhero about now. America is quite obsessed with its fictional superheroes, unfortunately.

Beautiful work, by the way. I'd love to see more and hear more recommendations...if I can get them that is.

Show your Roman artwork - Flavivs Aetivs - 02-20-2014

If superman can stop bullets with his chest than why does he duck when you throw a pistol at him?

Awesome work!

Show your Roman artwork - tiberius aemilius naso - 02-21-2014

It has been probably already recommended in the past, but there is a non Roman but Ancient history comic that i can't stop to recommend: Age of Bronze, by Eric Shanower. A still ongoing reconstruction of the Homeric cycle, trying to show the conflict as real (no gods involved) in an archeological accurate Mycenean/Hittite setting (while i am sure some here in RAT could point lots of inaccuracies :razz: ). And at the same time integrating the different literary traditions/versions. Amazing work with astonishing artwork.

[Image: piqw.gif]

http://www.age-of-bronze.com/

Show your Roman artwork - Flavivs Aetivs - 02-21-2014

Not a Roman drawing, but I thought it was worth posting.

This is Scolopendra Gigantea - life sized drawing too. The largest recorded measurement of size was 12", but the caves of Peru contain specimens up to 15". The Centipede (although not this particular species) has been around for almost 480 million years - their cousin the millipede appearing as the first land animal approximately 480 million years ago. S. Gigantea is not the largest to have ever lived, as one species of centipede in the Carboniferous period grew to over 3 feet, but it is the largest land-dwelling Arthropod alive today. They have been known to catch and eat not only other insects, but also mice, birds, and bats.

This species is also closely related to it's European cousin: Scolopendra Cingulata, which grows to a comparably modest 7" long. On a side note, I believe that S. Cingulata and other myriapods may have possibly been the influence for Roman Manica.

[attachment=9102]ScolopendraGigantea.jpg[/attachment]

(If you click on it, then right click on the pop-up and hit "View Image" it should let you see the full-size version.)

Show your Roman artwork - AMELIANVS - 02-21-2014

Quote:They have been known to catch and eat not only other insects, but also mice, birds, and bats.
:o :!:

I've never expected to see Scolopendra Gigantea being commented here :grin: -nice theory with that manica.

Show your Roman artwork - AMELIANVS - 02-21-2014

Quote: Germany is usually regarded as a developing country when it comes to comics

By Frenchmen maybe but believe me- situation in Germany is like paradise if compared with small Czech market.Here comic medium was even directly prohibited or at least heavily restricted for decades as communist regime saw it too much American...which was of course nonsense because comic have very strong and long tradition in Europe especially in FrancoBelgian lands.

I know all abowe mentioned series and Eagles of Rome is my favorit.I think Marini showed himself to not be only great artist but also-despite expectation-very good screenwriter and storyteller.

Murena is also great but Eagles seems to me(only my subjective feeling of course)more lively while Murena is technically perfect but with somewhat cold "academic" feeling.

Vae Victis is very talkative series with rather hollywod Romans(but it is already much older in date than rest of mentioned).

Age of Bronze is great too.

I had to mention also Apostata from Ken Broeders(whom I translated to myself from original and it is my favorite alongside eagles),but many other series exist,some of them even set into late Roman era like Apostata.