RomanArmyTalk
Show your Roman artwork - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Reenactment (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Roman Re-Enactment & Reconstruction (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Thread: Show your Roman artwork (/showthread.php?tid=20975)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40

Show your Roman artwork - Flavivs Aetivs - 11-14-2013

No, its just likely. He was rich as hell. He also broke several laws anyways during his reign - notably the one about the limit on Bucellarii.

Show your Roman artwork - Graham Sumner - 11-14-2013

Cheaper and what we would call today 'fake designer' purples were indeed very common. Think of all those trimmings on late Roman tunics. Many of the women in the earlier Egyptian portraits are wearing purple tunics and cloaks. Roman writers however often sneer at people for wearing these 'cheap' imitations. The purple dye trade was very lucrative with the very best coming from Tyre.

Wearing clothes dyed with the very expensive purple might get you into hot water on occasions but then it seems it depends on how insecure or mad the emperor might be at the time. Nero once had a woman in the audience at one of his recitals stripped because she was wearing a purple tunic. I guess if a man of importance had turned up wearing a purple tunic and cloak, Nero's reaction might have been very different.

When Julian heard that a man had been arrested for making himself imperial purple robes he dismissed the case and even sent him some purple shoes as a sign he was not threatened. At other times as Robert has mentioned a man was ruined because one of the guests at a party he had thrown had reported he could make purple robes like the emperors from all the purple edging on his tablecloths.

However in general I would think it was perhaps a more a case of whether you could even afford to wear pure purple clothes rather than not being allowed too.

In the example of your older tunic Robert I would have thought it would be more in keeping with later Roman clothes that the main tunic would have been reddish with the edging around the cuffs and the roundels being in purple.

Graham.

Show your Roman artwork - Robert Vermaat - 11-15-2013

Quote:In the example of your older tunic Robert I would have thought it would be more in keeping with later Roman clothes that the main tunic would have been reddish with the edging around the cuffs and the roundels being in purple.
You are right. But this old tunic began life as a white one, but after running colours I was forced to dye it - purple was the best choice available. Sad The red pieces on the lower arms were the result on patching activities...

Show your Roman artwork - AMELIANVS - 11-15-2013

Robert I agree that I should perhaps use this color more carefully and I agree that even cheaper version of purple might be out of limits of average money possibilities of average soldier of limitanei background and that even "fake" purple might potentially endangered anyone who wore it.

Show your Roman artwork - Flavivs Aetivs - 11-15-2013

He could be a Dux. Problem solved.

I have one coming up soon, December 4th in Honor of International Cheetah Day.

Tried something a little more 6th century.

Until then, I've been doing Sci-fi drawings. I have a few I put up on my Deviantart account, but this forum is for Roman stuff so I didn't put them here.

Show your Roman artwork - AMELIANVS - 11-15-2013

Not only he could be dux...I think now he is actually an emperor! :lol:

6th century sounds very interresting!

Show your Roman artwork - AMELIANVS - 11-20-2013

Few questions maybe somebody would know-Is it possible bulls were sacrificed directly in the Mithraeum?For what I know majority of ancient religions were traditionally executing its sacrifice rituals below open sky on the other hand this was a "secret" cult so maybe such sacrifices were also held in secret?Moreover Many Mithraea seems to imitated open sky inside of it so maybe this was also to allow to made such rituals inside?

Question 2-Do you know about some research on history of condition of Roman Colosseum?How did it looked like as centuries passed.For example was Colosseum in the sixth century virtually intact or was it already severely damaged at some parts?

Show your Roman artwork - PhilusEstilius - 11-20-2013

Pavel
I think looking at the size of the Mithraeum along Hadrian's Wall it would be very difficult to get a bull inside any of them at all, such as this one at the fort of Brocolitia.

Show your Roman artwork - Flavivs Aetivs - 11-20-2013

No offense, but with all the chicken heads it looks kind of like a Roman Chick-Fil-A

Show your Roman artwork - Diocle - 11-20-2013

Quote:Few questions maybe somebody would know-Is it possible bulls were sacrificed directly in the Mithraeum?For what I know majority of ancient religions were traditionally executing its sacrifice rituals below open sky on the other hand this was a "secret" cult so maybe such sacrifices were also held in secret?Moreover Many Mithraea seems to imitated open sky inside of it so maybe this was also to allow to made such rituals inside?

Question 2-Do you know about some research on history of condition of Roman Colosseum?How did it looked like as centuries passed.For example was Colosseum in the sixth century virtually intact or was it already severely damaged at some parts?
From what I studied the building was heavily damaged during the Renaissance by Papal Aristocarcy to build wonderful palaces in Rome ...

'Quod non fecerunt barbari fecerunt Barberini'

(Barberini is the noble family who saked the Colosseum ...)

Show your Roman artwork - Koyuncu - 11-20-2013

Roman transport ship capable of carrying 250 tons.

[img width=600]https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/8242_10200410711382817_606375530_n.jpg[/img]

Show your Roman artwork - AMELIANVS - 11-21-2013

Quote:Pavel
I think looking at the size of the Mithraeum along Hadrian's Wall it would be very difficult to get a bull inside any of them at all, such as this one at the fort of Brocolitia.

Indeed,they would certainly experienced "little"problems with getting a bull inside.It seems most Mathraeums vere relatively small(although some biger also existed).

Quote:From what I studied the building was heavily damaged during the Renaissance by Papal Aristocarcy to build wonderful palaces in Rome ...

'Quod non fecerunt barbari fecerunt Barberini'

(Barberini is the noble family who saked the Colosseum ...)

O.K.So I take it as Colosseum was relatively intact till Renaissance times in its basic shape.This is why I would like to know what was its appearance in the sixth century:

Show your Roman artwork - Flavivs Aetivs - 11-21-2013

I'm pretty sure it was damaged beyond repair by an earthquake in the 6th century as well.

Quote:No offense, but with all the chicken heads it looks kind of like a Roman Chick-Fil-A

In the final painting there will perhaps remain only one chicken mask .-)