RomanArmyTalk
Show your Roman artwork - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Reenactment (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Roman Re-Enactment & Reconstruction (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Thread: Show your Roman artwork (/showthread.php?tid=20975)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40

Show your Roman artwork - Diocle - 04-12-2013

Quote:
Graham Sumner post=335110 Wrote:Hello Carlo

I really like the new work. One reminded me of something I painted.

So attached is something I did more years ago than I care to remember. It was meant to show an Antonine period legionary and like you I tried to capture the famous thousand yard stare of a soldier who had seen and possibly done terrible things.

It was never published at the time and I only now have a photocopy which is too shiny to photograph and a bit big for my scanner so the image is slightly blurry and missing the end of the pilum.

Graham.

Great work!
You are a great painter Mastro Graham! But not only this, in your works, behind the faces and the postures, I can read a story,...as any good artist, your images are like books, while you are watching you start imagining the story of the character....the good paintings are like novels (but better of course!) we can read them entering in their world.
Thank you very much Mastro Graham, for the fantastic illustration and for your words about my works!

- Thank you all, dear friends for your nice comments, about my drawings! Confusedmile: I'm very happy you like them.

@ Robert, your suggestions are really perfect! ....and your comments very generous with me!

@Magister: Hunnic Bucellarii of Aetius...a little Romanized but not too much, with bow, lamellar armors (also mail might be good!), a long 'contus', some kind of strange helemet (Roman? Germanic? Spanghenhelm? or something more 'Hunnic'?), leather or fabric covers for the legs, and a good and cruel Hunnic honest face! ;-)

Show your Roman artwork - Diocle - 04-12-2013

Quote:Carlo, you're late Romans are some of the most interesting....and intriguing I've seen. Your depictions actually make me interested in how these men fought, and how they were kitted out. Awesome illustrations!!

May I make a humble request if you find the time and need subjects to bring to life? Perhaps one of the legendary General-statesmen of the late Republic? Even a Populares such as Marius or Caesar is acceptable...although Sulla Felix is eminently more desirable :wink:

Alexand, your nice comments about my work deserved a 'particular' thank you, so here He is....

Sulla Himself, the face was inspired by the famous sculpture, he wears a simple bronze Muscula and a Hellenistic Helmet; Sulla has just won the final struggle with Marius and he is ordering the death for the poor soldiers of Caius Marius:

[Image: Sullabis.jpg]

Show your Roman artwork - Flavivs Aetivs - 04-13-2013

Alright, Right now I'm working on my next piece, a Hunnic Retainer and Roman Guard in Aetius' camp, Southern France, 439. The Hun wears a Pileus Pannonicus, Lamellar Cuirass, and the Roman a Burgh-Castle Type Helmet and a Chainmail Hauberk.

Show your Roman artwork - Diocle - 04-13-2013

Good choices MMFA! Confusedad: I love lamellar armors! Cool

Show your Roman artwork - Diocle - 04-13-2013

Dear friends sorry but I've done another drawing, it's more a sketch about another obsession: The Roman Mail or Scale Coif!!!!!!

So this is my interpratation of the subject: I imagined the man during a long guard near the walls of Dura Europos, probably he's thinking about his home, .... he's a legionary and unlike the mysterious men depicted in the frescos of Dura, he wears a Lorica Segmentata Newstead over a padded linen subarmalis, no pteruges, long trousers without bindings (being in the South), a rectangular shield and the spatha on the lefts side ... and finally a mail coif of scales!!! Confusedhock:

I don't know if the Romans really used this form of protection for the head, but it's strange, unusual and very, very intriguing!

This is a sketch so, as always, please be merciful with me! :razz:

[Image: scansione0003-2.jpg]

Show your Roman artwork - Gaius Julius Caesar - 04-13-2013

I am of the opinion the coifs seen are of the plumata type, i.e. ring/scale combo, with a padding liner,
either a separate hood or integral to the armour.. That is just my thoughts on it.

Show your Roman artwork - AirAssault7 - 04-13-2013

Hmm, I like it Diocle, but it seems like the shield is a wee bit too small... I think it should be taller. Also, I've recently been reading the Ancient Warfare magazine where they discuss legionary equipment during the 3rd century and they mention the possibility that the Gladius was still around during this time, only it was referred to as "semi-spatha." By the way, it's Gallienus from TWC. Tongue

Show your Roman artwork - AMELIANVS - 04-13-2013

Hi Carlo.
I think they very likely used mail/scale hoods(looks somewhat medieval,isn't it?).Apart from Dura frescoes,it is also shown on 4/5century roman illuminations.
Body shape is essentially ok.Shield might be little more bigger...but I don't know how big is soldier who wields it :lol:
What I like the most here,is your shading.Mainly on his trousers( such trousers are rather untypical for a roman soldier of 200-250,I mean too much baggy like that of later fashion of 4-7 century). and on segmentata-that very bright spot of light.
In my mind I see colors in this way:
Coif-bronze scales
padded linen subarmalis-sandy white or pure white
Tunic-red with purple decorative clavi
Shield-yellow framing with yellow numerals and yelow(or green)
wreath on red center.
And so on...
But you're the author,so you should know best Smile

Show your Roman artwork - Diocle - 04-14-2013

Pavel I almost thought the same colors!!! While the shield's colors were different in my mind, anywy thanks for the suggestions and the kind words, I'm not good at coloring like you... so it' will require time, for this reason I used GIMP... it seems watercolour!

I'll use it, as a map for colouring and I'll use your suggestion about the shield, because I like more your choices, anyway take a look it's very natural, GIMP is a great program, the work took only few minutes!:

[Image: GuardDutycoloredGIMP.jpg]

Instead this is an unfinished try using my watercolors and guaches, but I'm not convinced...
[Image: provacolore.jpg]

@FGC thanks for your suggestions, about the shield I looked at some reenactors' photos, probably the issue here is that it should be more visually wider....

Show your Roman artwork - Alexand96 - 04-14-2013

Quote:
Alexand96 post=335104 Wrote:Carlo, you're late Romans are some of the most interesting....and intriguing I've seen. Your depictions actually make me interested in how these men fought, and how they were kitted out. Awesome illustrations!!

May I make a humble request if you find the time and need subjects to bring to life? Perhaps one of the legendary General-statesmen of the late Republic? Even a Populares such as Marius or Caesar is acceptable...although Sulla Felix is eminently more desirable :wink:

Alexand, your nice comments about my work deserved a 'particular' thank you, so here He is....

Sulla Himself, the face was inspired by the famous sculpture, he wears a simple bronze Muscula and a Hellenistic Helmet; Sulla has just won the final struggle with Marius and he is ordering the death for the poor soldiers of Caius Marius:

[Image: Sullabis.jpg]

Diocle, that is fantastic!! His facial features are spot on, and I love his simple yet hellenized kit. Bravo!

Show your Roman artwork - Diocle - 04-15-2013

Thank you very much Alòexand, when I finished the work I felt less hate toward Sulla! :lol:

Now a work in progress but I love it wery much, it is an omage to MMFA, infact actually this is the Ultimus Romanorum Himself, the Magister Militum Flavius Aetius, with his Hunnic bucellarii:

[Image: Aetius11.jpg]

Show your Roman artwork - Gesiþ - 04-15-2013

Quote:Thank you very much Alòexand, when I finished the work I felt less hate toward Sulla! :lol:

Now a work in progress but I love it wery much, it is an omage to MMFA, infact actually this is the Ultimus Romanorum Himself, the Magister Militum Flavius Aetius, with his Hunnic bucellarii:

[spoiler][Image: Aetius11.jpg][/spoiler]

Good job, although that one hun in the back has a shrunken face.

Show your Roman artwork - AMELIANVS - 04-15-2013

Hey Carlo, this is superb!

Show your Roman artwork - Flavivs Aetivs - 04-15-2013

Quote:Good job, although that one hun in the back has a shrunken face.

The Huns were ugly fellows, were they not?

Awesome work Diocle, I usually depict Aetius as wearing Scale though, as he does in my Avatar. Ii find the emblem of an eagle rather appropriate on that Hun's shield - his name literally meant "Golden Eagle"

Show your Roman artwork - Flavivs Aetivs - 04-16-2013

Finished my depiction of A Hunnic Bucellarius and a Roman of the Seguntienses. Will edit this post when its uploaded.

Starting one of Aetius and his guard unit fighting the routing goths at Mons Colubrarius. It will feature horses!