RomanArmyTalk
new greetings! - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Reenactment (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Roman Re-Enactment & Reconstruction (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+---- Forum: Beginners section (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=31)
+---- Thread: new greetings! (/showthread.php?tid=20848)

new greetings! - Manius Acilius Italicus - 05-30-2012

Hello to all. I have finally taken the time to register with the group and looking forward to many conversations with fellow members. I am currently constructing most of the kit for a Roman General, handmaking all including a Gladius. I have many years of military service and law enforcement and retired as a Federal officer three years ago. Please drop me a line if you have time and help me get acquainted with all of you and your interests.

Re: new greetings! - ANTONIVS MAGNVS - 05-30-2012

Welcome Robert. Can't wait to see your stuff

Re: new greetings! - Manius Acilius Italicus - 05-30-2012

Thanks for the welcome Jay. I will have to get use to being a recruit again. I had that title almost 50 years ago, but rose quickly through the ranks.
I will share a photo of my kit when completed, but I expect a while to go yet, as I am just starting the finishing work on the Galea (Gallic G type) and the Gadius (Pompeii style). A lot of hours and many sore fingers! I would appreciate any help in getting up to speed with the Legion. Thanks again.

Re: new greetings! - ParthianBow - 05-30-2012

Hi Robert, and welcome to a great site. Look forward to your posts on how you're getting on with making all your gear.

Re: new greetings! - Manius Acilius Italicus - 05-31-2012

Thanks Ben. I hope I will have something to contribute to the group in the future.

Re: new greetings! - agrimensor - 05-31-2012

Hello Robert, much luck at reconstruction. There are lots of pictures here on RAT even of tribunes,legates and generals.
So keep posted on your work.

Thanks for the info. I researched a long time before I struck my first piece of metal. I have also been fortunate to find local sources of the materials I needed. Looking forward to being a part of the RAT.

Re: new greetings! - PhilusEstilius - 05-31-2012

[attachment=4083]00001109Small.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=4082]cuirass1Small.gif[/attachment]

[attachment=4081]point1Small.jpg[/attachment]
Robert
Welcome to RAT and I do take a bit of interest from where you mention that you are considering being a Roman General, I have to say that I have made Roman armour and equipment for over 30 years until I retired from all that.
I would like to point out that should you desire to make a muscle cuirass it is better to make a short one as per this one in a museum at Cagliari Sardinia. This one is from a statue of Drusus for as a General or Commander one needs to be able to sit a horse.
Here are some pic's of one that I made many years ago for the late Doug' Arnold who was the Commander of the 2nd Avgvsta here in England, with of course a picture to show why a short one is better.

Re: new greetings! - Cavok - 05-31-2012

Hi Robert,
Welcome, took me ages to get all my stuff sorted but never give up is the name of the game.

I never aspired to being much more than a trooper, keeping all that brass clean is not for a para, its much more fun getting it dirty than polishing, paperwork and cocktails in the mess.

Apparently Tacitus reckons I killed a General in AD69, in a revolt. However while admittedly a bit revolting it wasn't me honest.

Can't wait to get on the field in Holland this weekend.

Brian you must be reading my mind. That is exactly the armor I had in mind and infact I already have the steel ready to be pounded out. Keep me in mind, as I will post my finished products as I complete each one and let me know what you think of them. Today I am grinding on my Galea and maybe will get to finish grinding down the Gladius I have (I work on several projects at the same time to keep it from getting boring. I didn't want to spend a fortune on my kit, so as of now I am probably five times over into it than I would be buying some of the junk I have seen online, not even counting the tremendous number of hours of work. I would like to assist and advise any new (or possibly veteran) troops who want to construct their own equipment. There is nothing like looking at a premium product and knowing that you made it with your own hands.

Thanks for the greetings. My kit manufacturing goes and and well I might add. I have also been a field trooper and learned from the bottom up. One thing I learned in both military and law enforcement training was to "Never give up or you die"! I have practiced that all of my adult life and still here.
As for that General in AD69, maybe he needed to be purged. I have served under many really bad officers who I thought should have been drummed out of the service.
I am half Italian and the other half Scottish and English and have found ancestors in practically every war I can find records on. I guess it is in the blood.
Have a great time in the field this weekend and send some photos. Wish I were there.

Re: new greetings! - PhilusEstilius - 06-01-2012

It may very well be true what you say about officers for when I was in the military there was a saying, that you will make many acquaintances but very few friends, and will meet many officers but very few gentlemen.

Re: new greetings! - Manius Acilius Italicus - 06-01-2012

To those words of wisdom, I can only say amen!