RomanArmyTalk
Peter Connolly - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Reenactment (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Dis Manibus (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=29)
+--- Thread: Peter Connolly (/showthread.php?tid=20739)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Peter Connolly - mcbishop - 05-03-2012

Sadly I've just heard that Peter Connolly died yesterday. He drew the Corbridge Hoard for me, shared the driving round Italy once, could never remember my cat's name (and pretended the same with my kids), and told me tales of Russell Robinson (with whom he had also toured Italy). A great guy and a much better artist than he would ever admit (although he would always tell you he was better than 'Mr Prontaprint'... about whom the less said the better). He deserved much better publishers than the ones he got; luckily, the rest of us recognised his abilities and valued him for them.

Best bit of my tour of Pompeii with him was getting him to pose in front of the buildings he painted for his book whilst his on-site recreation of the siege of Alesia for me is something I shall always treasure.

Mike Bishop

Re: Peter Connolly - Nathan Ross - 05-03-2012

Sad news indeed. Sad

Re: Peter Connolly - Graham Sumner - 05-03-2012

Sad news indeed. My condolences to his wife and family.

He was a great source of inspiration and his books were invaluable contributions to Roman studies. He had me pose for one of the legionaries in his book on Maximus so I will treasure that memory along with the encouragement and kind comments he made about my own work.

He will be missed but not forgotten.

Graham.

Re: Peter Connolly - Statius - 05-03-2012

Indeed thoughts with his family at this sad time.

His illustrations went a long way to inspiring my love of all things Roman Militaria at a very early age.

Re: Peter Connolly - M. Caecilius - 05-03-2012

My condolences to his family and friends.

It's truly sad news. He was a great illustrator and artist, and his work, on military as well as civilian matters, certainly contributed to drawing many people to ancient history. He will truly be missed.

Re: Peter Connolly - MARCvSVIBIvSMAvRINvS - 05-03-2012

Very sad to hear this, my condolences to his family, you Mike, anyone who knew him and the ESG.

I had the pleasure of meeting him a few times and thought him to be a gentle, kind and always interested as well as interesting man.

M.VIB.M.

Re: Peter Connolly - Americus - 05-03-2012

I have thoroughly enjoyed his illustrations as well as his writings. He will be missed.

My condolences to his family.

Re: Peter Connolly - Gaius Julius Caesar - 05-03-2012

His book on Ancient Rome and Greece was a favorite of mine.
Sorry to hear he has passed away!

Re: Peter Connolly - Ammianus - 05-04-2012

A truely sad loss. I loved his "Roman Cavalryman" book and his drawings and saddle reconstuctions were at the top of the field. :-(

Re: Peter Connolly - Praefectusclassis - 05-04-2012

There goes probably the greatest inspiration to all of us...

Re: Peter Connolly - Vindex - 05-04-2012

A sad event - but what a legacy! Introducing so many of us to experimental archaeology and a talent for bringing the past back to life in his illustrations.

Re: Peter Connolly - Robert Vermaat - 05-04-2012

Sad to hear, he was an inspiration to us all, and his books are still to be found everywhere - that must be some testament to his talents. I love his artwork.

Wikipedia has still not altered his page..

Re: Peter Connolly - Magnus - 05-04-2012

"Greece and Rome at War" was my first real Roman book...I hate when good people pass away.

Re: Peter Connolly - Alexand96 - 05-04-2012

Truly sad, his children's books help spark my love for Greece and Rome, and Greece and Rome at War will always be a favorite.

Of course, I never even came close to meeting him, but he always seemed to be the type of person who would be fascinating to speak with, and count as an acquaintance.

Re: Peter Connolly - Celer - 05-04-2012

Salve

I think Vindex put it best. Peter Connolly may have left us, but as long as people read his books he will live on. He inspired so many of us in our interests that there is little chance of him being forgotten for a long time.

Sad news, but lets celebrate his wonderful achievements.

Vale

Celer.