RomanArmyTalk
Scutum hanger/Harness - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Reenactment (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Roman Re-Enactment & Reconstruction (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Thread: Scutum hanger/Harness (/showthread.php?tid=20618)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Scutum hanger/Harness - Cavok - 04-05-2012

Ok before I start this I would like to consult the fonts of knowledge in here!

Shield carrying harness, advice, tips, tricks and photo's The leather work is no problem.....how should the buckles look. are they very different for oval shield compared to the traditional rectangular scutum?

Any info greatly appreciated.

Re: Scutum hanger/Harness - John M McDermott - 04-05-2012

I use a strap that fastens on the handgrip. The trick is not so much the strap, but how you use it. I put the strap over my left shoulder (not my neck) so that the scutum hangs up to my armpit. I then drape my left arm over the scutum and hold it so that the bottom angles away from my legs. This way, I can carry it without it constantly banging my legs as I walk. This works with the Trajanic and Augustan scutii, but less well with the Republican and not at all with a domed scutum.

Re: Scutum hanger/Harness - agrimensor - 04-05-2012

@Steve, I'm currently making one belt fastend at the handgrip (can easily be removed) with a fastener the "horse harness"fastener some use on their baldrick. In my opinion this is a solution because this way you can discart the scutum quickly from your back and stil hold the grip. While your sword you put on and stays there all day.The scutum i carry over one shoulder,

Re: Scutum hanger/Harness - dengland - 04-05-2012

The AERA roman legion web site contains some reconstructions and drawings of the republican scutum.(partially based on the Fayum example) I recently constructed one and included the nine harness anchor rings but have not started the leather work as yet. Their reconstruction seems practical and well thought out. I'll probably use their drawings when I start my harness. I obviously have not tried carrying the scutum with the harness yet so take a look and see what you think.

Re: Scutum hanger/Harness - Magnus - 04-05-2012

I just use a strap, with two large hooks on the end that attach to the handle. I can easy un-hook it so I can use the scutum if need be.

Re: Scutum hanger/Harness - agrimensor - 04-05-2012

@ Magnus, for me in pricipal the same idea .

Re: Scutum hanger/Harness - Magnus - 04-06-2012

Yeah, works well eh? Here is a photo of mine...now I just whipped these up quick, but you could make them resemble the Cor B hooks, and they would be quite nice, and take up less room. Mine are just cut from 18 gauge steel and rivetted on to an 8 oz leather strap. I also attached a pic of how it attaches to the handle. A better made hook would leave room for your hand, although I am fine with this design.

Re: Scutum hanger/Harness - ANTONIVS MAGNVS - 04-06-2012

Interesting Matt. How long should that strap be? This is on my to do list. Is that rabbit fur inside?

Re: Scutum hanger/Harness - Magnus - 04-06-2012

It's sheep fur...you'll have to measure how long you need the strap, so that when it is mounted on your shoulder, the shield isn't hitting the ground. I usually use a piece of twine to check for the length.

Re: Scutum hanger/Harness - Cavok - 04-06-2012

Thanks guys keep it coming

Re: Scutum hanger/Harness - Crispvs - 04-08-2012

I use a simple strap and buckle arrangement. I decided that a 'quick release' mechanism should be part of my design brief, to allow the shield to be deployed at short notice on the march so designed this accordingly. A buckle is attached eight inches or so from each end of the main strap. The ends are both passed around the shield handle and secured through the buckles. The ends of the strap then act as vertical handles which I can simply pull down on to release the shield very quickly from the harness, as the action of pulling them down undoes the buckles. It is simple and uses nothing which has not been found in the archaeological record. It does necessitate letting go of anything which is held in the right hand though as the left hand is needed to hold the handle to stop the second strap tightening on the buckle once the first strap has been undone, as well as to stop the shield from being dropped. The straps therefore need to be undone with the right hand. I imagine shafted weapons could simply be rested against the right shoulder while this was done though thereby not reducing he soldier's effectiveness too much.

[Image: Harness4.jpg]

Here is my whole harness. Ignore the strap which can be seen in the top right corner of the shield. When I made the harness I was not sure how long the main strap should be and so made it in two parts joined which buckled together. In the event I found I had made it far too long and the apparent strap in the top right corner is simply the excess length. I made the chest strap in two parts which buckle together as well, mainly for ease of putting it on. As you can see, I overestimated the requisite length here as well. I sewed a loop into the end of each half of the strap which the main strap passes through. This worked fairly well, but the strap ended up moving about rather too much for my liking, requiring the odd adjustment, so when I make another I may sew the chest straps securely to the main strap rather than leaving them to 'float'.

[Image: Harness1.jpg]

Crispvs

Re: Scutum hanger/Harness - Cavok - 04-08-2012

Cheers mate...that looks great......now 200m to my saddler to see if he wants to donate me some leather!

Might make both sorts as I have 2 shields!

Happy Easter everyone

Steve

Re: Scutum hanger/Harness - caiusbeerquitius - 04-08-2012

Here is some good info on the system of the Fayum shield:
http://www.legxiii.at/fotos_reko_fayum.html

The Dura shields had similar staples and rings. That´s what I´d go for, as we seem to have a rather long continuity there.

Re: Scutum hanger/Harness - 66kbm - 04-09-2012

It all looks a little to complex to me...i'm not dissagreing with the archeological evidence but...
Soldiers like to keep things easy and simple and efficient.
I always did. Bin whats crap, alter what may work into something that does.
Kevin

Re: Scutum hanger/Harness - caiusbeerquitius - 04-09-2012

Huh? Nine ring-loops with staples are complex? Good the Romans didn´t have internal combustion reciprocating piston engines... ^^
Anyway, I´d go for the evidence and not for fantasy stuff.