RomanArmyTalk
Marathon 2014 - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Reenactment (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Events (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=28)
+--- Thread: Marathon 2014 (/showthread.php?tid=20483)

Pages: 1 2

Marathon 2014 - Kineas - 03-12-2012

Khaire,
I just wanted to come on here and say that we have officially started planning for Marathon 2014. Although it will not be a "big anniversary," we are using it as a springboard for Thermopylae, Salamis, and Plataea at the end of the decade.
On May 5th and 6th, we'll be meeting with officials from the Town of Marathon and also with members of the Ephorates towards all this planning. It is our goal to have 300 Hoplites and 50-100 Persian (and allied) impressions at Marathon 2014. We already have commitments that will vastly increase the Army of the Great King...
I expect we will look at the weekend of September 6-7 2014 as our target date--but I can also guarantee that it's too early to say for sure.
All of us who did Marathon 2011 have formed an association to move this forward, and we look forward to being joined by other groups who weren't able to make the last occasion. At the same time, we also hope that groups that concentrate on Roman reenacting might consider doing a second impression. We have a unique opportunity over the next ten years to recreate a pivotal moment in the history of the West--really, of the world--a clash of rival civilizations that allows for victories and defeats by BOTH sides and some really good, authentic reenacting on original sites and with the support of both local and international communities.
We're already aware of two good quality Persian groups forming--one in Europe and one in the US--my own group is working on an alternate impression as Egyptian Marines; there are Scythians, both mounted and dismounted, and Thracians.

Exciting times. Hope you are interested. Please contact me or Giannis if you are.

Re: Marathon 2014 - Kineas - 03-14-2012

Also please note Giannis's post on the Amphictyonia. You can find us at www.amphictyonia.org

Re: Marathon 2014 - John Conyard - 03-15-2012

Sounds like the schools will be back in the UK, which stops many people attending. School holidays make it easier for many.

Re: Marathon 2014 - Kineas - 03-15-2012

John--we (I?) will be as sensitive to that as I can. In North America, we routinely hold our kids out of school the first few weeks if we have something fun to do (like Marathon). I'm guessing that's a no go in the UK?

The real issue is that the Greeks really like to have us there when they can bring school groups to us--or so they have told us.

Ahh, reenacting. The word must mean "compromise" in some language.

Re: Marathon 2014 - Dan D'Silva - 03-15-2012

Quote:We're already aware of two good quality Persian groups forming--one in Europe and one in the US...
Do you know if they're ready to be contacted? I'd like to link to them from XMFM if they are.

Re: Marathon 2014 - John Conyard - 03-15-2012

Hi Christian. The client's demands come first. But as proffessional interpreters we will be working in UK schools that week. Time off would just cost us way to much. The client is limiting the number of re-enactors who can attend. But it is their call.

Re: Marathon 2014 - Cheyenne - 03-16-2012

Christian,

I would love to attend. I will be happy to form part of the religious dedication retinue and/or living history support. I'm not sure I could bring my horse over to take part... it's a bit too much of a long journey for her Sad

Re: Marathon 2014 - Kineas - 03-16-2012

Cheyenne (and anyone else lurking) The battles and military stuff are three hours a day. Living history is ALL DAY (and sometimes all night, but that's another wine-soaked story...)

Please come. Mind you, we were offered horses by local farmers...

Re: Marathon 2014 - Kineas - 03-16-2012

And John--I hear you loud and clear. Given that we have time to negotiate, tell me what in late summer early autumn 2014 would be good for you.

Re: Marathon 2014 - Quinthalas - 03-16-2012

Sounds fantastic !

Re: Marathon 2014 - Gaius Julius Caesar - 03-17-2012

Time to start saving... :grin:

Re: Marathon 2014 - John Conyard - 03-17-2012

August.

I had a nice chat with the Hoplite Association at TORM today. They were tempting me. Nice folks.

Local horses will be easily spooked and scared by colourful shields. But stationary horse archery should be OK and there are ways and means to make untrained horses perform at least or a while. It can be made to work.

Good luck with this.

Re: Marathon 2014 - Quinthalas - 03-23-2012

Quote:Time to start saving... :grin:

Yup indeedy Smile

Re: Marathon 2014 - Cheyenne - 03-27-2012

I would be up for coming out maybe a week before hand and doing desensitizing with horses if the owners would be happy with me putting a programme together for them. I would of course need an interpreter for such a venture however.

I will block off a couple of weeks for the work when the time comes around and as long as I am given a month or two to work out the needs of the horses, then I can do it.

Little Persephone will have been broken in by then, but I would need a fortune to have her flown over to Greece and I think the climate would be too much for her as a part bred British Native horse. And she would probably need turning away after breaking in so she can mature a bit.

I'd be very happy to be part of a living history display.. If I can drive from the UK with some others, maybe in a convoy... then it would be a proper adventure Smile

Re: Marathon 2014 - Theron_of _Sikyon - 03-30-2012

Thats far enough out that I might actualy be able to do it.

Edward