RomanArmyTalk
Marine Umbo - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Reenactment (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Roman Re-Enactment & Reconstruction (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Thread: Marine Umbo (/showthread.php?tid=20095)

Pages: 1 2

Marine Umbo - Caivs Marivs Scipio - 01-11-2012

Already showed it on Facebook, but I'd like to share it here as well. Big Grin

I spend (too much) time to decorate a umbo with a dolphins and wreath pattern for my new Classis Augusta Germanica shield. The shield is still under construction (still painting), but till then I can use it on an other Pax Romana shield...

Re: Marine Umbo - Gaius Julius Caesar - 01-11-2012

:grin: Nice work.
I was thinking of trying to decorate one. Are the dots punched from inside or out? It is hard to seen on the photos!

Re: Marine Umbo - Caivs Marivs Scipio - 01-11-2012

I punched them from the outside (the visible side).
It took me about 20 hours, approximately 7000 dots.

Re: Marine Umbo - Gaius Julius Caesar - 01-11-2012

Thanks! In the second picture it gives the illusion of raised dots! Smile

Re: Marine Umbo - Robert Vermaat - 01-11-2012

Quote:I spend (too much) time to decorate a umbo with a dolphins and wreath pattern for my new Classis Augusta Germanica shield.
I think you can never spend time enough. Wink Looks fine.

Re: Marine Umbo - jvrjenivs - 01-11-2012

Looks good, I would say. And well, what is 20 hours? I've worked on some project lately which took me many more...

Re: Marine Umbo - PhilusEstilius - 01-11-2012

I was just looking at what Byron has said about the punctim dots and I was wondering if the punching has not been sanded down since it was done.
I have done a tremendous amount of this kind of work over many years, and I find that it becomes more authentic when rubbed down afterwards.

There are many Roman artifacts that I have found with metal detecting and I have found that all of this kind of work is very smoothe to the touch, in fact with a lot of Roman punctim much of it has been done in the wax before casting such as with many beltplates.

Re: Marine Umbo - P Sertorius Scaevola - 01-11-2012

Admirable effort! Is this based on an original find or is it to be considered as decorative art?

Thanks to all for the comments!

@Brian
The dots are 1 to 2 mm deep, but like all every piece of equipment it takes sanding and time to make it look authentic.

@Paul
Sadly enough I couldn't find any decorated ubmos with a marine theme. So it's decorated with (authentic) Roman pictures.
It seems there are just a few richly docrated umbos at the end of the 1st century AD.

Re: Marine Umbo - M. Demetrius - 01-11-2012

There is another umbo that depicts a repousse' fist clenched around the shaft of a trident, the trident is a central painting on the clipeus design.

Do you (or anyone) have a picture of that umbo?

Re: Marine Umbo - M. Demetrius - 01-13-2012

Yes. I'll dig it up and post it.

Re: Marine Umbo - M. Demetrius - 01-13-2012

Here is a modern repro of the scutum & umbo. I am pretty sure I have a picture somewhere of the sculpture/stele that it copies.
[attachment=2549]DSC02630.JPG[/attachment]

Re: Marine Umbo - Scipio_Africanus - 01-15-2012

Quote:I am pretty sure I have a picture somewhere of the sculpture/stele that it copies.

The sculpture/stele, that you speack about, isn't the bas-relief of Preneste ?

Sadly i haven't a good picture of it, but i'm pretty sure that it was what you were talking about Wink, concerning the modern reproduction.

By the way, and to stay on the main subject, fantastic job on the decoration of your umbo Gaivs Marivs Scipio.

Sebastien

Re: Marine Umbo - Caivs Marivs Scipio - 01-15-2012

Thanks all for the comments! 8)
Found a picture of the bas-relief.