RomanArmyTalk
Wearing the Cloak: - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Research Arena (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: References & Reviews (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Wearing the Cloak: (/showthread.php?tid=19964)

Pages: 1 2

Wearing the Cloak: - Graham Sumner - 12-14-2011

Hi

This book is now available.

Wearing the Cloak: Dressing the Soldier in Roman Times
edited by Marie-Louise Nosch and Henriette Koefoed

Wearing the Cloak contains nine stimulating chapters on Roman military textiles and equipment that take textile research to a new level. Hear the sounds of the Roman soldiers' clacking belts and get a view on their purchase orders with Egyptian weavers. Could armour be built of linen? Who had access to what kinds of prestigious equipment? And what garments and weapons were deposited in bogs at the edge of the Roman Empire? The authors draw upon multiple sources such as original textual and scriptural evidence, ancient works of art and iconography and archaeological records and finds. The chapters cover - as did the Roman army - a large geographical span: Egypt, the Levant, the Etruscan heartland and Northern Europe. Status, prestige and access are viewed in the light of financial and social capacities and help shed new light on the material realities of a soldier's life in the Roman world. 144p, 24 col & 34 b/w illus (Oxbow Books in association with the Centre for Textile Research, 2011)
ISBN-13: 978-1-84217-437-1
ISBN-10: 1-84217-437-1 Hardback. Publishers price GB £25.00, Oxbow Price GB £18.95

Table of Contents
1. Dressed for the occasion: Clothes and context in the Roman Army (Michael Alexander Speidel)
2. Purchase orders of military garments from papyri of Roman Egypt (Kerstin Droß-Krüpe)
3. Clothing supply for the military: a look at the inscriptional evidence (Jinyu Liu)
4. The Roman Military Belt (Stefanie Hoss)
5. Linen-clad Etruscan Warriors (Margarita Gleba)
6. Military textiles in weft and warp twining: fragments probably of pteryges from Masada, Israel, a greave from Dura-Europos, Syria, and several slings (Hero Granger-Taylor)
7. A Late Roman Painting of an Egyptian Officer and the Layers of its Perception: On the Relation between Images and Textile Finds (Annette Paetz gen. Schieck)
8. Warrior Costumes in Iron Age Weapon Deposits (Susan Möller-Wiering)
9. Painting a Reconstruction of the Deir el-Medineh Portrait on a painted Shroud and other Soldiers from Roman Egypt (Graham Sumner)

Graham.

Re: Wearing the Cloak: - John Conyard - 12-15-2011

I think this book is currently winning the most interesting book award 2011 on the Comitatus forum. Confusedmile:

Re: Wearing the Cloak: - Gaius Julius Caesar - 12-15-2011

Thanks for the info Graham! :grin:

Re: Wearing the Cloak: - jvrjenivs - 12-15-2011

seems I ordered yet another book... Thanks for putting it forward, Graham.

Re: Wearing the Cloak: - Vindex - 12-15-2011

Added to the increasing "must have's" list!

Re: Wearing the Cloak: - M. Demetrius - 12-15-2011

Not yet available on amazon US.
Cry

Re: Wearing the Cloak: - Cunicula - 12-18-2011

Oxbow have it, I pre-ordered it and it came a couple of weeks ago. It's on their US site too
It's completely fascinating, so much so that I've had to stop reading it on the train home since I missed my stop!

Graham, your chapter is an excellent finale to the book, and the painting on the cover is my favourite of all of yours!

Re: Wearing the Cloak: - Cheyenne - 12-18-2011

There seems to be a flurry of archaeological textile books available through Oxbow recently,

I bought

War and Worship: Textiles from 3rd to 4th-Century AD Weapon Deposits in Denmark and Northern Germany (ANCIENT TEXTILES SERIES)

Textile and Textile production in Europe: Prehistory to 400AD
(Not yet published)

I think this new 'wearing the cloak' one is going to be on the list for a purchase after christmas. I think there will be some overlap with the new work in the War and Worship book, but it still pays to access additional comprehensive work on comparative artwork etc too...

Horse is costing a bit, so i'm having to ration the ol' book depository at the minute.

Re: Wearing the Cloak: - Vindex - 12-18-2011

Quote:Oxbow have it, I pre-ordered it and it came a couple of weeks ago. It's on their US site too
It's completely fascinating, so much so that I've had to stop reading it on the train home since I missed my stop!

Graham, your chapter is an excellent finale to the book, and the painting on the cover is my favourite of all of yours!

Okay...convinced now :wink:

And since I have managed to secure a slightly better job for 2012, I can feel less guilty about ordering it...as well as one or two other books from Oxbow Confusedhock:

Re: Wearing the Cloak: - Gaius Julius Caesar - 12-18-2011

Here is a gathering of 'Men in Cloaks@... 8)
[attachment=2364]Temple20of20Mithras_jpg.jpg[/attachment]

I look forward to this one!

Re: Wearing the Cloak: - Graham Sumner - 12-18-2011

Hi Byron

Self service at Roman cafeteria's looks pretty basic! Big Grin

Hello Louise.

Glad to hear you liked the book and the paintings.

Graham.

Re: Wearing the Cloak: - Ghostmojo - 12-19-2011

Is that guy taking a leak? :wink: It could be the queue for the gents at Glastonbury! :lol:

Re: Wearing the Cloak: - Cheyenne - 12-19-2011

Pauls legs look like they may be a bit cold....

Your all very brave

Re: Wearing the Cloak: - Medicus matt - 12-19-2011

Quote:Pauls legs look like they may be a bit cold....

Has he got his hands under his cloak or is he just really, REALLY pleased to see Len?

"The last of the Jedi all agreed that it was time to call it a day."

Re: Wearing the Cloak: - Cunicula - 12-19-2011

Quote:There seems to be a flurry of archaeological textile books available through Oxbow recently

I think that's largely down to the Centre for Textile Research in Denmark
http://ctr.hum.ku.dk/about/and their fantastic research programme, a shot in the arm for ancient textile studies if ever there was one (and where the Archaeological Textiles Newsletter comes from these days). The common factor between all these publications is Scandiwegians!

Quote: I bought

Textile and Textile production in Europe: Prehistory to 400AD
(Not yet published)
I've had that one pre-ordered for so long that I've stopped believing in it!