RomanArmyTalk
Gladiatorial mosaics from Cos - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Research Arena (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Ancient Combat Sports (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Thread: Gladiatorial mosaics from Cos (/showthread.php?tid=19517)

Pages: 1 2

Gladiatorial mosaics from Cos - hoplite14gr - 09-14-2011

Courtesy of a local friend

Enjoy!

Re: Gladiatorial mosaics from Cos - Longovicium - 09-14-2011

Very nice - thank you! Do you know what date these are?

Re: Gladiatorial mosaics from Cos - hoplite14gr - 09-14-2011

There is a 5th cent basilika near them but it is open to debate if they are from 4th cent A.D. or earlier.

Kind regards

Re: Gladiatorial mosaics from Cos - Statius - 09-19-2011

Would love to see some close up's of this mosaic. Haven't seen them published in any of the standard Gladiatorial Reference books.

Re: Gladiatorial mosaics from Cos - Conal - 09-19-2011

Quote:Courtesy of a local friend

Enjoy!

Any chance of posting so that I can download for reference please?

Re: Gladiatorial mosaics from Cos - Olaf - 09-20-2011

I also found some pictures of the Gladiator Mosaic on Flickr:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/40060535@N05/galleries/72157622918615776/

But the Venator facing the bull with Scutum and Gladius is very interesting.
Most later Venatores are shown using spears, so a Venator fighting as a Scutarius without helmet is something extraordenary.

Re: Gladiatorial mosaics from Cos - hoplite14gr - 10-02-2011

Please allow me to to correct my self.

The date accoreding to the Cos Island official website is 3rd A.D.

Conal and Mark please P.M. and I will sent you the photos though email

Kind regards

Re: Gladiatorial mosaics from Cos - Musivarius - 10-06-2011

Thanks for posting these up, it's a real shame they can't just put a bit of wax on these mosaics so people could see how the colours really look. :?

Re: Gladiatorial mosaics from Cos - Paul Elliott - 10-06-2011

The guy with the whip is wearing a (very) short 4thC style tunic, with long sleeves, double banded cuffs and short shoulder clavii.

Re: Gladiatorial mosaics from Cos - Statius - 10-06-2011

The third J-peg has a photo of two Secutors/Provocators (?) fighting with scutum and gladius's and the figure furthest to the left appears to be wearing a Coif of some description! Very interesting indeed, never seen anyhing like that.

Re: Gladiatorial mosaics from Cos - Nathan Ross - 10-06-2011

Quote:The guy with the whip is wearing a (very) short 4thC style tunic, with long sleeves, double banded cuffs and short shoulder clavii.

It looks almost as if the hem of the tunic is gathered up and tied between his legs, or at the back somehow. Maybe to keep his legs bare, for some reason?

Quote:the figure furthest to the left appears to be wearing a Coif of some description! Very interesting indeed, never seen anyhing like that.

Hmm, it does look like that. I may need to revise my belief that Romans never really wore coifs... Confusedhock:

Re: Gladiatorial mosaics from Cos - Statius - 10-06-2011

Quote:
Mithras post=297343 Wrote:The guy with the whip is wearing a (very) short 4thC style tunic, with long sleeves, double banded cuffs and short shoulder clavii.

It looks almost as if the hem of the tunic is gathered up and tied between his legs, or at the back somehow. Maybe to keep his legs bare, for some reason?

Quote:the figure furthest to the left appears to be wearing a Coif of some description! Very interesting indeed, never seen anyhing like that.

Hmm, it does look like that. I may need to revise my belief that Romans never really wore coifs... Confusedhock:

The only other reference I know of the Roman use of Coifs is the Ebenezer Frescos at Dura which are also dated to the 3rd Century. I certainly know of no other pictoral reference to a Gladiator or Gladiatorial class wearing a Coif. It is difficult to tell from the photos which material is portrayed and if the Coif is metal or organic.

Very interesting mosaics though!

Re: Gladiatorial mosaics from Cos - hoplite14gr - 10-07-2011

I asked the person who provided the photos and studied fotos.

No "lines" showing "a form of quilting" on the coif

I err towards coif because it seems to me a very strange depiction of some type of helemet.

No info also on the condition of the colors or fading estimation.
That makes me wanting to avoid speculation on the material.

Kind regards

Re: Gladiatorial mosaics from Cos - john roberts - 10-07-2011

In the Greek eastern part of the Empire several types of gladiator seem to have worn huge helmets with a heavy fabric "arming cap" beneath it. Often the lower edge of this padding can be seen beneath the brim of the helmet at back, giving the impression of a double neckguard. I think this gladiator has lost or discarded his helmet leaving on the coif-like arming cap.

Re: Gladiatorial mosaics from Cos - Nathan Ross - 10-07-2011

Quote:The only other reference I know of the Roman use of Coifs is the Ebenezer Frescos at Dura which are also dated to the 3rd Century.
There's also an illustration in, I think, an illustrated manuscript of Vergil (group of standing soldiers - others could probably correct me on the source). But I've doubted in the past that either these or the men from the Dura fresco were intended to represent Romans. Not that I've got much more than gut instinct to inform me on that view!

John M Roberts's idea of an arming cap (sub-cassis?) seems quite convincing though.