RomanArmyTalk
Helmet - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Reenactment (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Roman Re-Enactment & Reconstruction (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+---- Forum: Beginners section (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=31)
+---- Thread: Helmet (/showthread.php?tid=19227)

Pages: 1 2 3

Helmet - Sempronius - 07-25-2011

Salvete everyone!

I'm new here as you can see from my post count. I've loved Roman helmets since I was a kid.

I am eager to purchase my first helmet but I'm lost as to whom the manufacturers are and of those which makes the best most accurate helms.

I'd like to stick with a trooper/heavy infantry circa 9AD..........yes that famous battle. I'd like to obtain a padded ready to wear pot.

Can someone lend any advice on the subject?

Thanks!

Re: Helmet - Gaius Julius Caesar - 07-25-2011

Avoid anything that looks like or has the label 'Trooper helm' Smile

Look ok Armamentaria's website in the traders section, those are the most reasonably priced accurate helmets available.
Depends where you are, Rusty Myers would be a safer option if you are in the states.

Depending on your budget, you may want to comission a custom made one, from Erik Konig, Matt Lukes, or someone....

Re: Helmet - jkaler48 - 07-25-2011

For 9 AD I would try a Gallic A or a Coolus C
Both are available in the US and Europe
Deepeeka makes a steel Gallic A and DSC a tinned bronzed one
Deepeeka makes a brass Coolus C and DSC has brass and bronze and tinned bronze
DSC often provides linings Deepeeka probably not.
Or if you have the cash a custom commission from one the RAT vendors will get you an exact fit with the specific features you desire.

Re: Helmet - Sempronius - 07-26-2011

Ok wow. I might look into a custom made lid. Perhaps one of the Coolus type. I might look into purchasing a gladius and scabbard somewhere.
Many thanks for the info!

Quote:For 9 AD I would try a Gallic A or a Coolus C
Both are available in the US and Europe
Deepeeka makes a steel Gallic A and DSC a tinned bronzed one
Deepeeka makes a brass Coolus C and DSC has brass and bronze and tinned bronze
DSC often provides linings Deepeeka probably not.
Or if you have the cash a custom commission from one the RAT vendors will get you an exact fit with the specific features you desire.

Is DSC, Deepeeka?

Can you recommend a RAT vendor for commissions?

The Erik Konig's helmets are incredible to say the least. I'm not familiar with Matt Lukes work.

Gallic A is a real possibility. Are Coolus type helmets considered auxiliary or heavy infantry?

Many thanks for your input.

Re: Helmet - Gaius Colletti - 07-26-2011

DSC is Daniyal Steel Crafts, and they do make very nice helmets, a step up from Deepeeka according to some members. I have the Gallic A from Deepeeka and it is a nice helmet by its own right, and if you have a larger sized head 7.5 or larger hat size, it is great. I do not have a Coolus C (though I think the Coolus B, C, or E would all be fine for that timeframe). I do have a Coolus E and it has a more shallow bowl and unfortunately I probably wont be keeping it because it is a little small for my (large) head.

Coolus helmets were traditionally considered to be helmets for auxiliary troops, at least in the later into the 1st century AD. Though plenty of reenactors portraying legionary heavy infantry are using Coolus helms more and more.

I am more familiar with Matt Lukes' work and I know he comes highly recommended from many RAT members. All his work is heavily researched before he begins custom projects

Re: Helmet - jkaler48 - 07-26-2011

DSC is Daniyal Steelcrafts

All of the RAT individual makers do excellent accurate work the major differences are probably going to be in time to complete and pricing. Some are often booked many months out.

Coolus types were probably worn by both Legionaries and auxillia troops from the time they were introduced until well after later types came into use.

I'm in contact with Matt right now. Looking in to various helmet types.

Re: Helmet - Gaius Colletti - 07-27-2011

Keep us posted, I'm interested to see what the final product is/looks like

Re: Helmet - Sempronius - 07-27-2011

Oh don't worry. I'll get on the waiting list for yellow brass helmet, which type I'm still on the fence. I'm talking with Matt right now it's either a Coolus very early 1st A.D. or something from the Dacian Wars.

I'm picking up a DSC Gallic A as well from Rusty.

Re: Helmet - Gaius Julius Caesar - 07-27-2011

The Gallic 'A'by DSC is my favorite helmet right now...it fits me!

Re: Helmet - Gaius Colletti - 07-27-2011

George, are you familiar with the care of iron/steel helmets? (I only ask because you are a newer member, I don't mean to sound patronizing if you are familiar). Especially with a very nice helmet like the DSC Gallic A, be sure to rub a thin coat of mineral oil on the helmet to protect it from rust (even the salt on your fingers can cause rust in the long term, and depending on your climate humidity can play a factor). Mineral oil is fairly cheap too, I pay $1.38 for a 16oz bottle, you can find it in the pharmacy section at your local grocer.

Mineral oil last a long time, and chances are if you are like me with a new helmet, you'll be handling the helmet so much the oil will probably come off from handling it rather than it actually evaporating.

Something to consider about the Dacian helmets is that while most are represented as being Italic with the crossbars on the top, there are plenty of example of Gallic helmets with the cross bars added over the "eye brows" and other ornamentation, showing what a hurry some of the metalworkers were in to protect the soldiers from the Dacian falx, which is rumored (I still am not completely convinced of its effectiveness) to peel Roman helmets like a can opener.

Re: Helmet - richsc - 07-27-2011

Just curious, where are you located, group wise?

Re: Helmet - Sempronius - 07-27-2011

Quote:Just curious, where are you located, group wise?

I'm in the Cleveland Ohio area in the U.S. To be honest I have no idea if there are any groups in this area.
I'm a big collector of military helmets and until recent concentrated mostly on WWII and Post War lids. I've always had a fascination with Roman gear and helmets ever since childhood. I guess that's what watching Spartacus will do as well as leafing through National Geographics book on Ancient Greece and Rome when I was a kid.

Re: Helmet - jkaler48 - 07-27-2011

If interested in joining a group you could see if this group is still active:

Legio XIV Gemina Martia Victrix, Cohors II
Greg Guy
P.O. Box 432
Georgetown, OH 45121-0432
[email protected]

Or just attend events as an individual (see the events section of RAT).
(I recommend Lafe AR)
Brass and Bronze helmets Including the tinned bronze Gallic A eliminate the rusting
issue.