RomanArmyTalk
LIX Scotland: Legio IX? - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Research Arena (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Roman Military History & Archaeology (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: LIX Scotland: Legio IX? (/showthread.php?tid=19199)

LIX Scotland: Legio IX? - richsc - 07-21-2011

As our guide drove us through Lix Scotland he mentioned that the town was named for an inscription not interpreted until much later, and that it was interpreted as Legio IX. Lix is west of Sterling and the fellow itself as evidence of the legion's presence, but I could not find anything about it. Any one know?

Re: LIX Scotland: Legio IX? - Gaius Julius Caesar - 07-21-2011

Thats a new one...I look forward to seeing replies to this!

Re: LIX Scotland: Legio IX? - D B Campbell - 07-21-2011

Quote:As our guide drove us through Lix Scotland he mentioned that the town was named for an inscription not interpreted until much later, and that it was interpreted as Legio IX.
Get yourself a new guide! Smile

The placename Lix probably derives from the Gaelic lic, meaning a hard slope. Other similarly derived Scottish placenames are Licks, Lycks, Leeks, Leaks and Lik. (The example you noticed belongs to three sheep farms: East, Middle and West, which probably accounts for the plural form of the name, Lix or Licks, rather than Lik.)

Now, if your guide had taken you to the village of Lviiii, ... :wink:

Re: LIX Scotland: Legio IX? - Jona Lendering - 07-21-2011

Quote:Now, if your guide had taken you to the village of Lviiii, ... :wink:
The strange sound you heard at 13.03 GMT was me, laughing.

Re: LIX Scotland: Legio IX? - markusaurelius - 07-23-2011

Quote:The strange sound you heard at 13.03 GMT was me, laughing.
:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Re: LIX Scotland: Legio IX? - Vindex - 07-24-2011

Your guide was probably just trying to cash in on Centurion/The Eagle movies one imagines...

Re: LIX Scotland: Legio IX? - Gaius Julius Caesar - 07-24-2011

Actually, Scotland was a bastardisation of Scuta-land....latin for the Source of Scuta for the Roman Army! :-| Honest! :-| Trust me........

Re: LIX Scotland: Legio IX? - Vindex - 07-24-2011

Quote:Actually, Scotland was a bastardisation of Scuta-land....latin for the Source of Scuta for the Roman Army! :-| Honest! :-| Trust me........

Nice one Centurion! :wink:

Re: LIX Scotland: Legio IX? - Robert Vermaat - 07-25-2011

Brilliant. Just goes to show the instant nonsense people can come up up, or dare to, against an audience they think doesn't know anything..

Just watched some Dutch tv travel show where they visited Macedonia, showing some monument (modern) to Alexander. The celeb (I think, don't know the guy) was elaborating about how Alexander managed to conquer the world (repeating his lines as if he had NOT just learned them the evening before: "Alexander was a military genuis. he invented the long spear, whereas before him, they had only fought with swords".. and more of that. Squirming but unable to do anything about it, I changed the channel. :roll: