RomanArmyTalk
New forum/Community - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Community (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Round Table (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: New forum/Community (/showthread.php?tid=18184)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

New forum/Community - jvrjenivs - 01-18-2011

Congratulations to the staff and especially for Jasper with the new version of RAT. As usual you did a good job and we'll can only be very thankful for all the work you (and the other staff/moderators) put into this forum. Well done.

Thank you very much and keep up the good work!

Re: New forum/Community - Robert Vermaat - 01-18-2011

I agree: it must have been a lot of work to upgrade this! Well done.

Re: New forum/Community - Tormenta - 01-18-2011

Great! Well done.

Re: New forum/Community - Ammianus - 01-18-2011

Yes, thanks for all the hard work!
It's great Confusedmile:

Re: New forum/Community - Jyrki Halme - 01-18-2011

Otherwise fine, just can`t change my old e-mail address working so I would get notifications etc.

Re: New forum/Community - Titvs Statilivs Castvs - 01-18-2011

Congratulations for this hard work! I'll have to get used to it.:-P

[spoiler]Just one thing, some smileys are displayed 3 times when you create a message.:wink: [/spoiler]

Re: New forum/Community - Titvs Statilivs Castvs - 01-18-2011

Congratulations for this hard work! I'll have to get used to it.:-P

[spoiler]Just one thing, some smileys are displayed 3 times when you create a message.:wink: [/spoiler]

Edit: spoilers are way funnier now! Big Grin :lol:

Re: New forum/Community - Praefectusclassis - 01-18-2011

You're all very welcome. Jyrki: please let me know via email or PM what your email address should be.

Jasper

Re: New forum/Community - hansvl - 01-18-2011

Wow what a change. It will take forever for me to get used to it. Well that what I said of version 3 as well :grin:

Great job Jasper

Hans

Re: New forum/Community - John Conyard - 01-19-2011

Well this certainly is a change, and I am sure it took a great deal of work. It does seem very similar to a facebook type idea to advertise yourself and to join groups advertising what you do.

I am very interested in sharing information about the Roman army, and I hope I can still do that without people I have never met wanting to be "my friend". How sad would that be! I suppose there is no chance of maximising the information on the army, and cutting out the un-necessary "social networking"?

Re: New forum/Community - Praefectusclassis - 01-19-2011

Hi John
We'll all have to figure out how usefull all functions are, but the forum 'as is' is pretty much the same as RAT, no changes there. You now just have an option to form a Group, announce your events and have your own gallery on the site here. All that, however, is completely optional.

Re: New forum/Community - John Conyard - 01-19-2011

So no chance of strengthening the forum and the discussion content, and minimising the social side?

In my experience if people discuss topics privately in groups, such as on facebook, a forum loses content and it's focus. So for example if I set up a Roman Cavalry Club on a facebook part of the site, then why post on the forum?

I appreciate I speak to my friends rather than write to them using facebook, so I probably don't understand such a medium. But I would regret the discussions on military equipment becoming less informed.

I've just had my first friends request, from someone living 2 miles away! They must be daft.

Re: New forum/Community - Praefectusclassis - 01-19-2011

Hi John
Group discussions are off at the moment. Better?

Re: New forum/Community - Gaius Julius Caesar - 01-19-2011

This is an excellent change to the forum, Congratulations on the hard work put nto developing this, I'm sure it will add a new dimension to the forum.
I like the fact I was able to select a photo at random for my avatar, without having to beg for help right from the start.

Can't comment on it being similar to FB as I can't see that(as of yet) but look forward to exploring the new functions here!

Thanks again!Cool

Re: New forum/Community - jvrjenivs - 01-19-2011

Quote:Can't comment on it being similar to FB as I can't see that(as of yet) but look forward to exploring the new functions here!
Just hit the 'Community' button in the top menu bar Wink