RomanArmyTalk
New Greek Helm - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Reenactment (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Greek Re-Enactment & Reconstruction (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=32)
+--- Thread: New Greek Helm (/showthread.php?tid=17817)

Pages: 1 2

New Greek Helm - Brennus - 11-07-2010

I came across a new catalogue item on the Manning Imperial site. I'm no expert on the Greek stuff (i'm a bit more of a Celtophile) but I thought I would share it with you guys. I think it looks pretty neat. yay? or Nay?
[url:1n8esbm6]http://www.manningimperial.com/item.php?item_id=581&g_id=3&c_id=56[/url]

Re: New Greek Helm - Gregory J. Liebau - 11-07-2010

I believe that was commissioned by Barcid here on the forum. He threw a picture of it in my recent thread on pilos helmets and mentioned it as being Hellenic, mid-4th century BC. It has a crest style that is particularly common in Italy during this era.

-Gregory

Re: New Greek Helm - Brennus - 11-07-2010

Quote:I believe that was commissioned by Barcid here on the forum. He threw a picture of it in my recent thread on pilos helmets and mentioned it as being Hellenic, mid-4th century BC. It has a crest style that is particularly common in Italy during this era.

-Gregory
Thanks for the link. I havn't seen the actual helm this was based off of before. Well, if it is indeed Barcid's piece then he got one nice helm 8)

Re: New Greek Helm - barcid - 11-08-2010

Thanks Brennus, the original can be seen here edited by moderator due to violation of forum rule # 4 ... looks cool with some plumage

[Image: 2zfjwps.jpg]

Re: New Greek Helm - PMBardunias - 11-09-2010

Dave, I'd love to see that helmet worn if you have any images.

Re: New Greek Helm - Brennus - 11-09-2010

Lookin' sharp 8)

Re: New Greek Helm - barcid - 11-10-2010

a couple of happy snaps for you cheers dave

[attachment=0:1vn5iuln]<!-- ia0 003.JPG<!-- ia0 [/attachment:1vn5iuln][attachment=1:1vn5iuln]<!-- ia1 002.JPG<!-- ia1 [/attachment:1vn5iuln]

Re: New Greek Helm - Paullus Scipio - 11-10-2010

WHOAH !! Confusedhock: .....Lookin' good Dave.....love the authentic beard ! :lol: :lol:

Re: New Greek Helm - PMBardunias - 11-10-2010

That is an excellent helmet! I love how much height it adds, you look truly fearsome and are impervious to downward strikes Smile Though, I must say I am oddly tempted to toss wreaths around the peak like the "Coneheads" from the old Saturday Night Live. Come to think of it, Guttman had a helm with such a wreath around it!

Re: New Greek Helm - Giannis K. Hoplite - 11-10-2010

Waaa! It's so impressive when worn! Is it stable enough? What will you complete the body protection with? If i remember correctly,you're going for a sacred band carthaginain impression,right?
Khaire
Giannis

Re: New Greek Helm - barcid - 11-11-2010

Hi Guys thanks Big Grin yes its a bit out of the ordinary not enough pilos helms being worn me thinks.

i do cut a crusty old fearsome cartho' in my cone head hat :lol:

it is quite snug & stable i wear my felt pilos under it with some cloth stuffed in the crown of the helm to reduce bounce affect.

re body armour not decided yet ,depends on quotes that im awaiting ....short list is Etruscan style lamellar , bronze muscle cuirass or plain Linothorax .

plan is to recreate an impression of a Punic settler Hoplite in Sicily mid 4th. cent BC in support of the Sacred Band. 8)

Re: New Greek Helm - M. Demetrius - 11-11-2010

Quote:Sacred Band
Church Orchestra? :lol: :wink:

Re: New Greek Helm - PMBardunias - 11-11-2010

Quote:re body armour not decided yet ,depends on quotes that im awaiting ....short list is Etruscan style lamellar , bronze muscle cuirass or plain Linothorax .

You probably know better than I, but it has been put forth that the 'Etruscan' armor was actually borrowed from the Carthaginians and the "lamellar" is simply the long rectangular scale seen so commonly in Assyrian contexts. The reference to Carthaginians in iron armor might be this type.

Re: New Greek Helm - Giannis K. Hoplite - 11-11-2010

But what which Etruscan lameral are we talking about? If you mean the Mars of Todi and the like frescos,they almost certainly were leather rather than iron or bronze.
Khairete
Giannis

Re: New Greek Helm - PMBardunias - 11-11-2010

Quote:If you mean the Mars of Todi and the like frescos,they almost certainly were leather rather than iron or bronze.

Yes, I agree based on the color images, perhaps rawhide. But if they were based on Carthaginian imports, wealthy Carthaginians may well have had the same armor made of iron or bronze. In the near east bronze, iron , and rawhide scales are all common- sometimes mixed in the same armor. The Assyrian armor looks like, but is probably not lamellar. It consists of scales on a leather shell with the scales also laced together.