RomanArmyTalk
Vergina Cuirass - Measurements - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Research Arena (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Greek Military History & Archaeology (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: Vergina Cuirass - Measurements (/showthread.php?tid=17309)

Pages: 1 2

Vergina Cuirass - Measurements - rocktupac - 08-10-2010

Does anyone have the measurements/dimensions of the iron cuirass from Vergina?

Re: Vergina Cuirass - Measurements - Astiryu1 - 08-10-2010

Where is it kept on display? I can't find anything! :|

Re: Vergina Cuirass - Measurements - Dan Howard - 08-11-2010

Manning Imperial has done the best reconstruction I've seen. I don't know whether it was made using measurements taken from the original or whether it was made to fit the person who commissioned the work.

Re: Vergina Cuirass - Measurements - MARCvSVIBIvSMAvRINvS - 08-11-2010

One of the members of this board is in posession of this cuirass..

Matt Amt or someone else..

M.VIB.M.

Re: Vergina Cuirass - Measurements - Giannis K. Hoplite - 08-11-2010

No,this cuirass is owned by Athanasios Porporis,leader of the Australian group "Ancien Hoplitikon of Melbourne". It was made to his measurements,as it can also be seen if you compare it with frontal photos of the ancient cuirass.
His comments about how it wears is that it can be comfortably worn for many hours ndespite its weight (can't remember how much),and that in his opinion it wasn't meant to be a cavalry cuirass. It makes sence since it was found with greaves and a hoplite shield.
Khairete
Giannis

Re: Vergina Cuirass - Measurements - MARCvSVIBIvSMAvRINvS - 08-11-2010

Ah thank you for the info!! i knew i saw it on a photo on rat with a lot of other armour in a house, so must have been his.

M.VIB.M.

Re: Vergina Cuirass - Measurements - PMBardunias - 08-12-2010

I'm curious to know if the original is truly double-breasted of if the underlayer does not go all the way across the chest. From the limited images I have seen it does not look like the whole underlayer survived and I wonder it is just being assumed that it went all the way across.

Re: Vergina Cuirass - Measurements - MeinPanzer - 08-13-2010

Quote:His comments about how it wears is that it can be comfortably worn for many hours ndespite its weight (can't remember how much),and that in his opinion it wasn't meant to be a cavalry cuirass. It makes sence since it was found with greaves and a hoplite shield.
Khairete
Giannis

Why doesn't he think it wasn't meant to be worn by a cavalryman? Also, the shield and greaves don't tell us anything about how the cuirass was intended or could have been worn, because it's well known that Macedonian kings took full complements of arms with them on campaign which included arms and armour suitable for fighting both on horseback and on foot.

Quote:I'm curious to know if the original is truly double-breasted of if the underlayer does not go all the way across the chest. From the limited images I have seen it does not look like the whole underlayer survived and I wonder it is just being assumed that it went all the way across.

From Manolis Andronicos, Vergina. The Royal Tombs and the Ancient City, Ekdotike Athenon S.A., Athens, 1992:

Quote:The body of the cuirass is made up of four sheets, one covering the chest, one on either side and one over the back; a fifth section which however consisted of only a metal border and which must have been covered with cloth and leather was found on the underside of the part which covered the chest.

It's hard to tell what he means by "only a metal border," since the clearest image of the reconstructed cuirass seems to show that this plate on the underside is solid from the upper edge at least down to the level where the armhole ends. I do think it spans the entire width of the chest, though.

Re: Vergina Cuirass - Measurements - Giannis K. Hoplite - 08-13-2010

Quote:Why doesn't he think it wasn't meant to be worn by a cavalryman?
Because he said he once tried a horse with this cuirass and it was impeding him. He could sit,but he wasn't feeling secured enough on the horse's back and he said he couldn't grip himself safely enough. He isn't a very experienced rider,but his has ridden horses.

Quote:Also, the shield and greaves don't tell us anything about how the cuirass was intended or could have been worn, because it's well known that Macedonian kings took full complements of arms with them on campaign which included arms and armour suitable for fighting both on horseback and on foot.

Yes,what i mean is that one can't use the arguement that Macedonian kings were cavalry leaders,thus this quirass should be a cavalry one. There have been found traces of an organic cuirass in the tomb, basicly the gold rings and rosettes for its suspention. This cuirass could certainly be worn on horseback,as is shown on the Alexander mosaic,and numerous other depictions of t&y cuirasses worn on horseback. So it seems plausible to me that both cavalry and infantry gear was barried with the king,and in this case,the iron cuirass might have been infantry one. Porporis has justified that it isn't so heavy as to not be worn for hours by a foot soldier.
Khaire
Giannis

Re: Vergina Cuirass - Measurements - rocktupac - 08-13-2010

OK, back on topic Big Grin

Does anyone have the measurements of the iron cuirass?

**ALSO: What about the height of the skeleton of the person thought to be Philip II? I don't have my Andronicos book or other publications handy (I'm in the process of moving). Thanks all!

Quote:
Quote:Why doesn't he think it wasn't meant to be worn by a cavalryman?
Because he said he once tried a horse with this cuirass and it was impeding him. He could sit,but he wasn't feeling secured enough on the horse's back and he said he couldn't grip himself safely enough. He isn't a very experienced rider,but his has ridden horses.

Well, that's simply his opinion, and certainly not a pronouncement on whether ancient riders did or did not use such a cuirass on horseback. We know, for instance, that early Sarmatians rode with muscle cuirasses that weren't specifically designed for cavalrymen, though many people today state that they would hinder a rider too much to be worn.

Quote:Yes,what i mean is that one can't use the arguement that Macedonian kings were cavalry leaders,thus this quirass should be a cavalry one. There have been found traces of an organic cuirass in the tomb, basicly the gold rings and rosettes for its suspention. This cuirass could certainly be worn on horseback,as is shown on the Alexander mosaic,and numerous other depictions of t&y cuirasses worn on horseback. So it seems plausible to me that both cavalry and infantry gear was barried with the king,and in this case,the iron cuirass might have been infantry one. Porporis has justified that it isn't so heavy as to not be worn for hours by a foot soldier.
Khaire
Giannis

I doubt that one of the two cuirasses was specifically for fighting on foot while the other was specifically for fighting on horseback. In fact, though its weight may not have been too much of a hindrance for a man on foot, it was almost certainly better managed on horseback, so this one probably was worn by the king as a cavalryman. The organic cuirass was probably used in hotter weather, or in a situation where flexibility would be needed, like when mounting a siege ladder.

Quote:OK, back on topic Big Grin

Does anyone have the measurements of the iron cuirass?

Andronicos doesn't list them in his general publication of the Vergina finds (quoted above), and I haven't found much in the way of specific dimensions elsewhere. You might have to go back to the original Greek publications of the finds.

Quote:**ALSO: What about the height of the skeleton of the person thought to be Philip II? I don't have my Andronicos book or other publications handy (I'm in the process of moving). Thanks all!

For the skeleton, check any of a number of osteological studies on the skeleton in Tomb II. Make sure to read E. N. Borza and O. Palagia, "The Chronology of the Royal Macedonian Tombs at Vergina," JdI 123 (2008), which is the latest study of the finds from the tombs. It is now certain that the individual in Tomb II is Philip III Arrhidaios, and NOT Philip II. This also pushes the dating of the cuirass and helmet inside to a couple of decades later.

Quote:Well, that's simply his opinion, and certainly not a pronouncement on whether ancient riders did or did not use such a cuirass on horseback. We know, for instance, that early Sarmatians rode with muscle cuirasses that weren't specifically designed for cavalrymen, though many people today state that they would hinder a rider too much to be worn.
I didn't state it was anything more than this. However i wonder, how many have really worn an accurate muscled cuirass? How many of them rode a horse? In the reenacting world a have seen very -i mean very- few muscled cuirasses that aproach the ancient ones.
Quote:I doubt that one of the two cuirasses was specifically for fighting on foot while the other was specifically for fighting on horseback.
At least is is certain that there were indeed cuirasses that were designed for cavalry only (Xenophon calles his a cavalry cuirass that hindranced him too much when he dismounted and ran with a shield together with the other hoplites)
I don't see why some cuirasses couldn't be designed only for infantry. Especially for this particular cuirass we can speculate much,since we don't have any other finds nor mentions of such a cuirass.
Quote:In fact, though its weight may not have been too much of a hindrance for a man on foot, it was almost certainly better managed on horseback, so this one probably was worn by the king as a cavalryman. The organic cuirass was probably used in hotter weather, or in a situation where flexibility would be needed, like when mounting a siege ladder.
This is assumtion no better than the one Porporis made, who actually wore at least a good recontruction. Any weight can be better mannaged on horseback,this doesn't mean that the heavier cuirasses were always for cavalrymen. Indeed in an army you would see a foot man with muscled cuirasses and cavalrymen with lighter ones.
Where and when the organic cuirass was to be worn we certainly can't say. Many people have assumed things about it that clearly don't hold true. Like that it was worn by the poorer that couldn't afford a metal one,or that it offered much worse protection, or that it let the air come in etc etc. The fact is that Alexander in one of his most famous depictions sice ancient times was chosen to be wearing it in eternity on horseback. And i'd like to note that it doesn't even have much of it covered in scales. The small portion on the belly could even have leather scales (the colour is a bit peculiar and not so sure to be representing iron)

Something that may be a bit stretched but i think not unworthy of mentionning is that although the gold borders all around the cuirass are in perfect shape and after the restoration (which doesn't include any filling of missed parts of the gold), the only spot that shows destruction of the bordering is on the outer edge of top of the left shoulder. Exactly where a shield touches either when carrying it on the shoulder or when fighting (often shields are shown protruding almost horizontally rested on the shoulder). This might be a clue that the cuirass actually saw usage by an shielded man.
Khaire
Giannis

Quote:I didn't state it was anything more than this. However i wonder, how many have really worn an accurate muscled cuirass? How many of them rode a horse? In the reenacting world a have seen very -i mean very- few muscled cuirasses that aproach the ancient ones.

Good questions, and I doubt that many have. That doesn't stop many from proclaiming that it wasn't feasible.

Quote:At least is is certain that there were indeed cuirasses that were designed for cavalry only (Xenophon calles his a cavalry cuirass that hindranced him too much when he dismounted and ran with a shield together with the other hoplites)
I don't see why some cuirasses couldn't be designed only for infantry. Especially for this particular cuirass we can speculate much,since we don't have any other finds nor mentions of such a cuirass.

Well, I think it was probably more that the default cuirass was designed for infantry, and then there were special cavalry cuirasses, but yes, there clearly were distinct types. However, what about the form of this cuirass makes you think that it was designed for fighting on foot specifically?

Quote:This is assumtion no better than the one Porporis made, who actually wore at least a good recontruction. Any weight can be better mannaged on horseback,this doesn't mean that the heavier cuirasses were always for cavalrymen. Indeed in an army you would see a foot man with muscled cuirasses and cavalrymen with lighter ones.
Where and when the organic cuirass was to be worn we certainly can't say. Many people have assumed things about it that clearly don't hold true. Like that it was worn by the poorer that couldn't afford a metal one,or that it offered much worse protection, or that it let the air come in etc etc. The fact is that Alexander in one of his most famous depictions sice ancient times was chosen to be wearing it in eternity on horseback. And i'd like to note that it doesn't even have much of it covered in scales. The small portion on the belly could even have leather scales (the colour is a bit peculiar and not so sure to be representing iron)

You're absolutely right, and this is kind of the point I was trying to make (though I don't think I did a very good job of it). Too many pronouncements are made about what type of cuirass/shafted weapon/shield can and cannot be used in certain situations, when in fact the evidence often points to wild variations in usage which often don't follow reasonable assumptions. The ancients may have been more inclined to follow fashion rather than reason in a lot of cases when it came to selecting arms and armour.

Quote:Something that may be a bit stretched but i think not unworthy of mentionning is that although the gold borders all around the cuirass are in perfect shape and after the restoration (which doesn't include any filling of missed parts of the gold), the only spot that shows destruction of the bordering is on the outer edge of top of the left shoulder. Exactly where a shield touches either when carrying it on the shoulder or when fighting (often shields are shown protruding almost horizontally rested on the shoulder). This might be a clue that the cuirass actually saw usage by an shielded man.
Khaire
Giannis

I would be very wary of using this as evidence without examining the state of the gold borders before restoration. Images of the cuirass as found in situ show that the left shoulder was by far the least well-preserved part of the cuirass, so the state of the gold borders there could have been affected by the oxidization and breaking apart of the yoke. Even if this were evidence of this cuirass being used with a shield, it could have been used equally on foot and on horseback, or 75% of the time on horseback and the rest on foot with a shield, so such wear again doesn't tell us all that much about its usage.

Good thoughts
Quote:However, what about the form of this cuirass makes you think that it was designed for fighting on foot specifically?
Well,i can only assume. Personaly i don't find anything on its form that makes me think it empedes a cavalryman. If i knew that it does,then i would speculate that it's too unflexible. And even if the muscled cuirasses were also as unflexible, i'm sure they had better fit. Ilso,the muscled cuirasses can reach as low as to cover the belly,but they were curved enough over the thighs to allow the legs to bend efficiently. And it's evident that the ancients did think at some point that the long version of the muscled cuirass was a bit uncomfortable for riders. Also,i have a suspicion that with this cuirass you have problems with your arm movements. The shoulder guards are wider than any muscled cuirass one. This can cause problems on raising your arms forward (also upwards,but you rarely need to raise your spear hand vertically). On horseback all these may make this cuirass seem combersome and unsafe. After all, Porporis didn't state that he couldn't sit, but he felt too unsafe on keeping balance. He said that if he was at risk of falling, he couldn't grip well enough to prevent it. Just assumptions though.
Quote:I would be very wary of using this as evidence without examining the state of the gold borders before restoration. Images of the cuirass as found in situ show that the left shoulder was by far the least well-preserved part of the cuirass, so the state of the gold borders there could have been affected by the oxidization and breaking apart of the yoke. Even if this were evidence of this cuirass being used with a shield, it could have been used equally on foot and on horseback, or 75% of the time on horseback and the rest on foot with a shield, so such wear again doesn't tell us all that much about its usage.
Very true,even if it was proven that it was caused by a shield, it wouldn't mean that it could't be worn on horseback too.
However i have seen the photos of the cuirass before restoration. Actually on the floor of the tomb. It was n very bad shape it is true. But gold won't get oxidised no matter how much the iron all around it will. This is why it has been preserved so well in all the rest of it. Even if cut to pieces,the gold ought to have been able to be retrieved and restored. Instead,it hasn't. I agree this is not solid evidence,not near to it, but i posted it to raise thoughts, since i have seen the cuirass in person and this detail is not visible in any photos i have seen.
About the inner chest layer,i left with the impression that it covers all of it, though this might have been because i have been believing so before visiting the museum.
Khaire
Giannis

[Image: 2084437593_7110b4ba21.jpg]
[Image: 26IntGrkFestUk2006.jpg]

Re: Vergina Cuirass - Measurements - Paullus Scipio - 08-14-2010

Ruben wrote:
Quote:Well, that's simply his opinion, and certainly not a pronouncement on whether ancient riders did or did not use such a cuirass on horseback. We know, for instance, that early Sarmatians rode with muscle cuirasses that weren't specifically designed for cavalrymen, though many people today state that they would hinder a rider too much to be worn.
I'm assuming this comes from examples found in tombs? Do you have illustrated examples?

Quote:Giannis wrote: At least is is certain that there were indeed cuirasses that were designed for cavalry only (Xenophon calles his a cavalry cuirass that hindranced him too much when he dismounted and ran with a shield together with the other hoplites)

Well, I think it was probably more that the default cuirass was designed for infantry, and then there were special cavalry cuirasses, but yes, there clearly were distinct types. However, what about the form of this cuirass makes you think that it was designed for fighting on foot specifically?

To help clarify matters, the 'thorakes' Xenophon refers to was in fact an Infantry type, borrowed from a Hoplite when Xenophon raised his troop of extemporised cavalry, probably a bronze muscled cuirass ( Xen. Anabasis III.3 - the outfitting of 50 cavalry- and III.4, heavy going wearing the armour and carrying a shield on foot....). This demonstrates that Infantry-type 'spolades'/Tube-and-Yoke armour and bronze 'thorakes' could be worn on horseback.
However, as Giannis has pointed out, this was not ideal because a rider sits a horse with hips splayed and this is very uncomfortable, and often very difficult in body armour that fits snugly over the hips of a man standing on foot. As a result, specialised cavalry cuirasses in all periods have been developed that better suit a man astride a horse. They are normally splayed out at the hips, and generally have larger arm-holes to allow freer movement of the arms.
'Spolades' type Tube-and-yoke corselets are also modified for specific mounted use. The waist-line from which the flexible 'pteryges' hang is raised from waist to diaphragm, and the shoulder pieces/yoke/'epotides' are often narrower, again to allow freer arm movement ( see e.g. the example painted in the tomb of Lyson and Kallikles).

Once the observer knows what to look for, the differences between 'foot' and 'horse' corselets and cuirasses are easily seen. It can be readily seen that the iron cuirass in question from the 'Philip' tomb is not a cavalry cuirass, and as reported by Porporis, is probably difficult to wear mounted.....