RomanArmyTalk
14th/15th August - Hardwick Country Park - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Reenactment (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Events (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=28)
+--- Thread: 14th/15th August - Hardwick Country Park (/showthread.php?tid=17305)

Pages: 1 2

14th/15th August - Hardwick Country Park - John Conyard - 08-10-2010

This coming wekend, the 14/15 August, Comitatus are going to Hardwick Country Park near Sedgefield. The Romans are leaving Britain, again!

We are not too sure what is going on. The organiser has booked various Roman things and is still changing our arena etc. Having agreed to do cavalry, infantry artillery and living history currently we we don't have the room to anything, but things may change :roll:

At worst come and watch the horses walk around, and the infantry mime shooting bows, and wave at the campsite you cannot reach Big Grin

At best watch the skills of the cavalry, marvel at the infantry, and enjoy the tented encampment.

Re: 14th/15th August - Hardwick Country Park - Vindex - 08-10-2010

Brennivs mentioned this on the recent Plumbata thread.

Hoping to catch this as I pass through on my way oop North... Big Grin

Re: 14th/15th August - Hardwick Country Park - ioannes sebald - 08-11-2010

As i'll be there again this year (and this time,in kit Confusedhock: ),i'll wander on over your way,if that's all right,and chew the cud for a while,just look for an Optio with a confused look on his face :lol: .

Re: 14th/15th August - Hardwick Country Park - John Conyard - 08-12-2010

You would be welcome. What period are you doing? Are you with the "celts"? I'll be near the big tent with the horse parked outside. We can share a cup of wine.

Re: 14th/15th August - Hardwick Country Park - ioannes sebald - 08-12-2010

Thanks very much! Big Grin lol: ) and an Optio of the Numerus Concangiensium,circa 400 C.E,i might just take you up on the wine offer but i'll have to "manipulate" my vow of abstinence first :wink: ,looking forward to it all.

Re: 14th/15th August - Hardwick Country Park - brennivs - tony drake - 08-12-2010

Ioannes you better keep of the wine Big Grin lol: :lol: should be a great weekend. I may even turn up in late kit but I love my Falx too much Big Grin
Vindex up to now there will be an arena set up for the displays as well as Roman, Celts they is also Maximvs drilling the younger soldiers and a Potter. We will be doing a Artillary display and talks on Artillary, Medicne, Arms N Armour we have a Calvary man doing a demonstration on horsemanship. I might be doing a bit of armouery and might borrow a sword from Steve my mate and do a talk on swords Big Grin D D
Regards Brennivs Big Grin

Re: 14th/15th August - Hardwick Country Park - Gaius Julius Caesar - 08-12-2010

Never thought I would see the day you needed to borrow a sword from anyone Tony!

Re: 14th/15th August - Hardwick Country Park - brennivs - tony drake - 08-12-2010

Are yes Gaivs but since I made them and they too my knowledge the only ones in Brittania a chance for the public to see other types of swords used with in the Army Big Grin wink:

Here is a website advertising the event Big Grin
http://www.thisisdurham.com/site/whats- ... rn-p471911

Re: 14th/15th August - Hardwick Country Park - Vindex - 08-12-2010

Thank you for the info.

Hopefully get there some time on Sunday...hope the weather forecast improves Sad

Re: 14th/15th August - Hardwick Country Park - ioannes sebald - 08-13-2010

Quote:Ioannes you better keep of the wine Big Grin lol: :lol: should be a great weekend. I may even turn up in late kit but I love my Falx too much Big Grin
Vindex up to now there will be an arena set up for the displays as well as Roman, Celts they is also Maximvs drilling the younger soldiers and a Potter. We will be doing a Artillary display and talks on Artillary, Medicne, Arms N Armour we have a Calvary man doing a demonstration on horsemanship. I might be doing a bit of armouery and might borrow a sword from Steve my mate and do a talk on swords Big Grin D D
Hi,Brennivs Big Grin lol: .If you want to swing the Falx around AND turn up in late kit,well,there was a unit under the Magister Militum Praesentalis in Asia Minor,titled Falchovarii,which might (possibly) have used the Falx (but don't quote me on the day :wink: ).

Re: 14th/15th August - Hardwick Country Park - Gaius Julius Caesar - 08-14-2010

Hope you guys are getting the good weather there. The sun has come back here after a few days of absence.....! Big Grin

Re: 14th/15th August - Hardwick Country Park - Vindex - 08-16-2010

My thanks to Tony Drake (brennivs), John Conyard and member's of their respective teams for answering all my questions at the weekend...however, it has just raised more!! Lots of food for thought.

Re: 14th/15th August - Hardwick Country Park - brennivs - tony drake - 08-16-2010

Gaivs thanks for thinking of us Big Grin D D Lovely park to walk round will upload pictures asap.
Lost two bolts in the nettles and yes I went looking for them in a tunic and Calligi :lol: :lol:
Vindex will send the Plumbata info through works internal post Vey nice to see you there Big Grin D

Re: 14th/15th August - Hardwick Country Park - Ammianus - 08-17-2010

The weather was merciful and we were certainly kept busy during the day with lots of shows and people around the campsite.

The photo below is me and Murph Smile
And also a nice one of some archery.

[attachment=1:2xmx949c]<!-- ia1 IMG_6159 - Copy.JPG<!-- ia1 [/attachment:2xmx949c]
[attachment=0:2xmx949c]<!-- ia0 IMG_5987 - Copy.JPG<!-- ia0 [/attachment:2xmx949c]