RomanArmyTalk
On This Day... - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Research Arena (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Roman Military History & Archaeology (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: On This Day... (/showthread.php?tid=17129)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

Re: On This Day... - Robert Vermaat - 12-28-2010

December 25, 333 AD: Constantine elevates his fourth son Constans to the rank of Caesar.

December 25, 350 AD: the former magister peditum Vetranio who earlier claimed the purple on behalf of Constantia, sister of Constans and Constantine II is attacked by Constantius II (who had to break off his Persian campaign for that). Vetriano submits to Constantius and is stripped of the purple, but spared.

December 25, 820 AD: Death of Leo V the Armenian, Roman Emperor (b. 775), assassinated by supporters of Michael the Amorian, one of his most trusted generals and successor. Michael, having been freed by his partisans only hours before entering the church with friends disguised as priests and monks, drew their daggers to stab Leo. The emperor tried to flee and call for his guards, but the doors were locked and his guards were slain by the conspirators. Unarmed, Leo tried to defend himself with a large wooden cross in one hand and an incense burner with the otherin a battle which lasted for an hour. Finally Leo succumbed to the wounds inflicted upon him, and Michael was immediately proclaimed Emperor on the spot, still wearing the chains from the prison.

Re: On This Day... - Robert Vermaat - 12-28-2010

December 28, 457 AD: Final accession of Julius Valerius Maiorianus (Majorian) by recognition of Leo.

Re: On This Day... - Robert Vermaat - 01-03-2011

December 30, 39 AD: Birth of Titus Flavius Vespasianus (30 December 39 – 13 September 81), Roman emperor (79-81).

December 31, 192 AD: Death of Lucius Aurelius Commodus Antoninus (b. 31 August 161), Roman Emperor from 180 to 192. His mistress Marcia poisoned his food but he vomited up the poison; so the conspirators sent his wrestling partner Narcissus to strangle him in his bath. Upon his death, the Senate declared him a public enemy (a de facto damnatio memoriae) and restored the original name to the city of Rome and its institutions. Commodus' statues were thrown down. His body was buried in the Mausoleum of Hadrian.

December 31, 535 AD: Belisarius completes the conquest of Sicily by defeating the Gothic garrison of Syracuse.

January 1, 153 BC: Roman consuls begin their year in office.

January 1, 45 BC: The Julian calendar takes effect for the first time.

January 1, 69 AD: The Roman legions in Germania Superior refuse to swear loyalty to Galba. They rebelled and proclaimed Aulus Vitellius Germanicus as emperor.

January 1, 193 AD: The Senate chooses Pertinax against his will to succeed Commodus as Roman Emperor.

January 1, 417 AD: The empress Galla Placidia is bethrothed to the magister militum Constantius.

January 2, 366 AD: The Alamanni cross the frozen Rhine into Gaul.

January 3, 106 BC: Birth of Marcus Tullius Cicero (January 3, 106 BC – December 7, 43 BC).

Re: On This Day... - D B Campbell - 01-03-2011

Quote:December 31 ...
Would you please edit this one to include 31 December AD 405, Robert? :wink: ("Crossing of the very-cold-but probably-not-quite-frozen Rhine by the Vandals, a year earlier than usually claimed.")

Re: On This Day... - Robert Vermaat - 01-04-2011

Quote:
Vortigern Studies:j0lvgf5n Wrote:December 31 ...
Would you please edit this one to include 31 December AD 405, Robert? :wink: ("Crossing of the very-cold-but probably-not-quite-frozen Rhine by the Vandals, a year earlier than usually claimed.")
Hi Duncan. Nope. The 366 entry is a different one from the one that you have in mind. See this post of 22 April, 2006 where I posted the sources for that one. Only Prosper talks about a date (II k. Ian.) but we can't even be sure whether that was the 'big one' or not. In my timeline I have therefore refrained from copying all the modern authors who A) follow Gibbon in repeating the (certainly wrong) fact that the Rhine was frozen and B) follow a conflation of several other occasions (such as the crossing of 366) of which we know the date.

But IF a date would be mentioned, it would have to be January 2 406, based on Prosper only. I know Kulikowsky argued for a 405 date, arguing that the entry was moved in the text because otherwise 406 would have been a blank entry (but as that happened more often, this can only be speculation on his part) and that the British rebellion of 406 was a reaction to the invasion of the barbarians. Either that information is wrong, or the invasion of Gaul happened indeed in early 406. Either way, I see no reason to follow Kulikowski in this case.

Re: On This Day... - Robert Vermaat - 01-08-2011

January 4, 46 BC: Battle of Ruspina (now in Tunesia): Julius Caesar defeats his former general Titus Labienus, who later sided with Pompey. The battle was a costly affair for Caesar, who lost almost a third of his forces.

Re: On This Day... - D B Campbell - 01-09-2011

Quote:January 4, 46 BC: Battle of Ruspina.
Thanks, Robert. I had no idea that it was January 4 ... and I really ought to have known that! :oops:

Re: On This Day... - Robert Vermaat - 01-10-2011

January 9, 475 AD (approx.): The Roman emperor Zeno is confronted with a rebellion by his mother-in-law Verina and her lover, the ex-magister officiorum Patricius, her brother Basiliscus, the Isaurian generals Illus, Trocundes and the Ostrogothic general Theodoric Strabo.
Zeno is forced to flee from Constantinople to Isauria with his wife and mother, some Isaurian friends and the imperial treasure.

Re: On This Day... - M. Demetrius - 01-10-2011

At least he had time to grab the treasure...and leave the mother-in-law! Big Grin

Re: On This Day... - Robert Vermaat - 01-12-2011

January 10, 49 BC: Julius Caesar leads the Legio XIII Gemina across the Rubicon, from Cisalpine Gaul into Italy, ignoring the law and thereby start ing war. One report mentions Caesarcommenting: "Alea iacta est" (usually translated as "The die is cast").

January 10, 69 AD: Lucius Calpurnius Piso Licinianus is appointed by Galba to deputy Roman Emperor.

January 10, 402 AD: The emperor Arcadius elevates his son Flavius Theodosius to the rank of Augustus at age 1.

Re: On This Day... - Robert Vermaat - 01-12-2011

January 11, 347 AD: Birth of the Emperor Theodosius I "the Great" (d. 395).

January 11, 381 AD: The Visigothic king Athanaric and his followers surrenders to Theodosius in Constantinople.

January 11, 532 AD: Start of 8 days serious rioting (Nika-revolt) in Constantinople by the two main circus factions. The riots turn into a rebellion when the aristocracy forces Justinian to name Hypatius (a nephew of Anastasius) emperor.

January 11, 812 AD: Death of the Roman Emperor Staurakios (ruling from July 26 to October 2, 811). After succeeding his father Nikephoros I after the latter's death in the Battle of Pliska, his rule was cut short by a severe wound suffered in the same battle. His brother-in-law Michael I Rangabe forced him into retirement in a monastery, where he died soon after.

January 11, 844 AD: Death of the Roman Emperor Michael I Rhangabes. After forcing his brother-in-law emperor Stauriakos to abdicate, Michael ruled from 811 to 813. After a serious defeat against the Bulgarian army under Krum at the battle of Versinikia near Adrianople in June 813, Michael’s position was seriously weakened. To prevent a rebellion, Michael preemptively abdicated in favor of the general Leo the Armenian. Michael became a monk (under the name Athanasios), while his sons were castrated and relegated into monasteries (one of them eventually becoming Patriarch of Constantinople). Michael eventually died peacefully.

January 11, 1055 AD: Death of the Roman Emperor Constantine IX Monomachos, (b. 1000). He ruled from June 11, 1042 to January 11, 1055, a period considered to have been disastous because of his weakening of the Romano-Byzantine forces. In 1053, Constantine foolishly disbanded the Armenian troops to save money, leaving the eastern frontier open to Turkish raids and invasions.
Internally, his rule was weakened by the final schism between the Greek and Roman churches, at a time when Constantine planned to ally with the Pope against the Normans, who had conquered southern Italy. Constantine failed to solve the conflict, fell ill and died a year later.