RomanArmyTalk
Forts / cities in the Crimea - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Research Arena (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Roman Military History & Archaeology (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Forts / cities in the Crimea (/showthread.php?tid=17023)

Pages: 1 2

Forts / cities in the Crimea - Epictetus - 06-21-2010

Does anyone know the history of Charax, or any other settlements in the Crimea? This Ukranian website says a bit about the excavations at Charax and that it was a military and civilian site. It also says Vespasian was the one who ordered its construction. Wikipedia even lists what legionary detachments were based there (no sources, of course). Other sites I've seen call it a colony, but I wonder if they are using a general term and not the Roman legal term.

Does anyone know its legal status? Was it actually a legally-defined colony, or simply a protectorate of sorts?
Does anyone know the status of the troops based there?

Re: Forts / cities in the Crimea - D B Campbell - 06-21-2010

Quote:Does anyone know the status of the troops based there?
The archaeology is inevitably in Russian, so I am not at all familiar with it. If you want to search, it's called Ai-Todor (or Aj-Tor) and it lies near Yalta; it is only a hypothesis that it is Ptolemy's Charax (unless our Russian colleagues know differently?). The site is evidently large (more of a town than a fort), but I'm not aware of the evidence for a colony. As for the military units:

AE 1997, 1332 is a jigsaw of fragments from the right-hand side of an inscription, which has been plausibly dated to AD 166; it almost certainly refers to the XIth Claudia Legion:
  • [Imperatoribus Caesar]ibus
    [M(arco) Aurelio Antoni]no et
    [L(ucio) Aurelio Vero Au]gustis
    [Armeniacis Part]hicis [ma]
    [ximis Medicis imp(eratoribus)] IIII op[era --]
    [------------------------------] tegulis
    [------------------------------]anus
    [---------------------------- p]er vexillat(ionem)
    [-----------------------curam] agente
    [-- (?centurione) leg(ionis)] XI Cl(audiae)
So that's Wikipedia's "detachment of the Legio XI Claudia at the end of the 2nd century". AD 166!

Wikipedia also states that "The Roman colony was protected by a vexillation of the Legio I Italica".
A series of tile fragments were published as CIL III 14215, one of which reads:
  • PER L A C >(centurionem)
    leg(ionis) I It(alicae) praep(ositum)
    vex(illationis) Moes(iae) inf(erioris)
As you will realise, this is not necessarily evidence of the Ist Italica Legion's presence, and certainly not of their "protection". In fact, we only have proof of the presence of one of the legionary centurions as praepositus ("commander") of a building gang sent there. (It is reasonable, but not provable, to assume that he was leading a crew of legionaries, since auxiliaries could equally well have manned the tile kilns).

Re: Forts / cities in the Crimea - Nathan Ross - 06-21-2010

Quote:Wikipedia even lists what legionary detachments were based there (no sources, of course).

A quick search of the Epigraphik-Datenbank turns up only one relevant inscription from Charax itself:

AE 1997, 1332 (Charax AD166) - [Imperatoribus Caesar]ibus / [M(arco) Aurelio Antoni]no et / [L(ucio) Aurelio Vero Au]gustis / [Armeniacis Part]hicis [ma]/[ximis Medicis imp(eratoribus)] IIII op[---] / [---] tegulis / [---]anus / [--- p]er vexillat(ionem?) / [--- curam] agente / [---] |(centurione) leg(ionis) XI Cl(audiae)

But there are a number of others from Kherson in the southern Ukraine; XI Claudia appears again, as does I Italica and a few other units, so we might presume that they formed part of the same garrison:

AE 1994, 01539 (Kherson) - pro] salut[e dddd(ominorum) nnnn(ostrorum)] / Augg(ustorum) e[t Caess(arum) Val(erius)] / Max[imianu]s p(rae)p(ositus) / vixi[llati]onis(!) le/[gionis I] Ital(icae) et / [legionis II He]rculia(e)

AE 1996, 01358 (Kherson, c250) - Imp(eratore) d(omino) n(ostro) [[Traiano]] / [[Decio Aug(usto)]] II et Vettio / Grato co(n)s(ulibus) M(arcus) Ratin(ius) M(arci) f(ilius) P() / Saturninus |(centurio) leg(ionis) I Ital(icae) / [[Decianae]] praepositus / vexillat(ionis) Chersoniss(itanae) / scholam principalium / a solo labsa(!) de suo / aedificavit

CIL 03, 00782 (Kherson) - D(is) M(anibus) / Aur(elius) Salvianus / tub(icen) leg(ionis) XI Cl(audiae) / qui militavit / annos XIIII vi/xit annos XXXVI

CIL 03, 13751b (Kherson) - D(is) M(anibus) / Aurel(ius) / Vale(n)s / et Aeliu(s) / Iulius / milites / c(o)h(ortis) I Cili(cum) / qui mili(taverunt) / an(n)is / XVIIII

D 09160 (Kherson) - M(arcus) Maecilius / mil(es) c(o)ho(rtis) I Bra(caraugustanorum) / mil(itavit) an(nos) X cen(turia) / Bicani / h(eres) f(ecit)

AE 1909, 00166 (Kherson) - I(ovi) O(ptimo) M(aximo) / M(arcus) Anto/nius Va/lens mil(es) / coh(ortis) II / Lucensiu(m) / vixit ann(os) / XXV mil(itavit) ann(os) V / h(eres) f(aciendum) c(uravit)

LNCh 00021 (Kherson) - /tius Valens / mil(es) leg(ionis) V Mac(edonicae) / fratri b(ene) m(erenti) / posuit

AE 1967, 00432 (Kherson) - cl(assis)] / Fla[viae Mo]/esic(a)e vi[xit] / annis XX [mil(itavit)] / annis [3]/cus mi[l(es) 3] / f[ac(iendum) cur(avit?)]

So that's a start. The Charax inscription puts (a vexillation of) XI Claudia there under Marcus Aurelius; Legion I Italica seem to have been in the area only somewhat later, perhaps third century to a period simultaneous with the tetrarchic II Herculia. Could V Macedonia predate them? Of course, there could have been vexillations from any number of legions, at various times. I believe there's a vexillation of XII Fulminata attested over in Caucasian Iberia under Vespasian.

There's also this longer inscription, partly in Greek and again from Kherson, which appears to concern troop vexillations in the Chersonese. Perhaps somebody could check it for useful information?:

CIL 03, 13750 - [e(xemplum) e(pistulae). quae sint officia militu]m agentium? in vexillatione Chersonessitana? de capitulo? lenocini, quod su/[bicitur ostendet tibi exem]plum sententiae? Arri? Alcibiadis? tunc? trib(uni) praepositi? eiusdem? vexill[a]/[tionis, ne quid advers]us? tam intentionem ? eius quam manifeste determinatam partem ad? ius? p[er]/[tinentem? milites agant]. et? quoniam? idem? Alcibiades videri? non {po} potest? sub tempus ventu[rum?] / [intentionem? exagg]e?randae vectigalis quantitatis ? sponte ? suscepisse? cum sententiam? sub? iu[di]/ [cii forma -- iam] pridem? et? dixerit? et proposuerit et omnibus annis fisco pariaverit? dubium n[on] / [est, quin hanc vectigalis] quan{i}ti<t>atem et circa discipulinae? rationem et observare et obtin[ere] / [necesse sit. eius sententiae] exemplum aperta manu scriptum, unde de plano recte legi possit, iuxta [--] / [---] positum esse cura. // e(xemplum) e(pistulae). quid scripserim Atilio? Primiano tr[ib.]. / [--- de commenta]rio commilitonum, quod ad me {e} idem tribunus propter capitulum len?[o]/[cini miserat, subieci et s]ecundum formam sententiae Arri Alcibiadis tunc trib(uni)? dictae om[nia] / [agere iubeo, ne quid advers]us discipulinam vel cum iniuria aut contumelia paganorum commit[tere] / [audeant]. // e(xemplum)? (epistulae)? quid ad decretum Chersonessitanorum rescripserim c[rimi]/[nantium? milit]es, subici praecepi et rursum admoneo caveatis, ne sub obtentu h[--] / [vectigalis quantitate]m iam pridem placitam ac custoditam cum dispendio vestrae exsist[ima]/[tionis augeant vel cives i]nquietent vel innovare quid temptent?

- Nathan

Re: Forts / cities in the Crimea - Nathan Ross - 06-21-2010

Ach, Duncan seems to have beaten me to it! Tongue

Re: Forts / cities in the Crimea - D B Campbell - 06-21-2010

Quote:But there are a number of others from Kherson in the southern Ukraine ...
Thanks for those, Nathan. You're quite right -- Sevastopol (Chersonesus Taurica) seems to have been a major base well into the Tetrarchy, manned by troops from Moesia Inferior (hence, detachments from legiones I Italica and V Macedonica). There's a book, which I haven't seen: J.C. Carter (ed.), Crimean Chersonesos: City, Chora, Museum and Environs (2003).

Re: Forts / cities in the Crimea - Epictetus - 06-22-2010

Excellent! Thanks!

Are there any instances where legion troops were based permanently outside the borders of the Empire? For example, when Armenia was a protectorate, were legions based there? I'm trying to figure out what exactly these settlements and bases in the Crimea were. I'm wondering if they were officially attached to a province - similar to how Malta was attached to the administration of Sicily, for instance, although that isn't the best example.

Re: Forts / cities in the Crimea - Nathan Ross - 06-22-2010

Since the attested troops in the Crimea all appear to have come from legions based in Moesia Inferior, it would seem possible that the region was under the jurisdiction of either the governor of that province, or of the prefect of the Classis Moesica, which seems to have had bases in the Crimea, and to have used legionaries from the Moesian garrison as marines.

One inscription from Moesia Inferior records fighting in the Crimean region, mid third century:

AE 1991, 01378 (Moesia Inferior, c.235) - leg(ionis) I Ital(icae) [[Al]]ex[[andrianae]] / militavit b(ene)f(iciarius) co(n)s(ularis) et / cornicul(arius) proc(uratoris) / quot(!) tiro proficiscens / in bello Bosporano / voverat et adiuvante / numen(!) eius multis / periculis in barbarico / liberatus sit merito / votum posuit

While another has (I think) a 'legate of the Bosphoran (kingdom)', presumably detached from the officium of the governor of Moesia Inferior:

CIL 06, 29694 (Rome) - P(ublius) Cornelius / Serapio / sibi et / L(ucio) Cornificio [3] / Telemasti F[3] / leg(ato) Bospor[anorum

There was also, in the Flavian and Trajanic era, an equestrian official in charge of the region, the Procurator (regionis) Chersonesi:

CIL 03, 00726 (Thrace, early 2nd century) - C(aio) Manlio [3] f(ilio) Q(uirina) / Felici trib(uno) mil(itum) leg(ionis) VI[I] / C(laudiae) P(iae) F(idelis) adlect(o) in decur(ias) / iudic(um) selector(um) a divo / Tito praef(ecto) fabr(um) Imp(eratoris) / Caesaris Nervae Trai(ani) / Germ(anici) Dacici II praef(ecto) class(ium) / Pann(oniae) et Germ(anicae) proc(uratori) Aug(usti) reg(ionis) / Chers(onesi) proc(uratori) Aug(usti) XX hered(itatium) / d(ecreto) d(ecurionum)

CIL 03, 12053 (Alexandria, late 1st/early 2nd century) - C(aio) Minicio C(ai) f(ilio) Vel(ina) Italo / praef(ecto) coh(ortis) V Gall(icae) eq(uitatae) et I Breucor(um) / et II Varcianor(um) eq(uitatae) c(ivium) R(omanorum) trib(uno) mi[l(itum)] [le]g(ionis) / V[I] Vict[r(icis) p]raef(ecto) a(lae) I sing(ularium) c(ivium) R(omanorum) proc(uratori) / Chers(onesi) proc(uratori) provinc(iae) Asia[e] proc(uratori) / provinciar(um) Lug(u)dunensis / et Aquitanic(ae) praef(ecto) annon(ae) / praef(ecto) Aeg(ypti) / A(ulus) Pedanius Maes(ianus) / |(centurio) leg(ionis) III Gallic(ae)

This abstract to a (Russian) paper on the subject, meanwhile, might provide some more clues on the actual pattern of military settlement:

On the defence of Tauric Chersonesos by the Roman allies

Quote:Résumé / Abstract
The paper presents a critical review of epigraphic and archaeological evidences concerning the Roman military presence in the chora of Chersonesos in the 2nd and the 3rd cc. AD. Some sites and discoveries are discussed: the late Scythian settlement Alma Kermen with the finds of roof tiles stamped by the legio XI Claudia, the tombstone of a Roman legionary soldier said to have been found on the northern shore of the Sevastopol Bay, inscribed fragmentary votive tablets found near Saki, cemeteries in the valleys of the Belbek and Chernaya rivers with ceramic material dated to the Roman period, small shrine at Mayachny Point, Roman sentry-post on Kazatskaya hill, tower-like structure on Suzdalskaya hill, farmhouse 150 in the Heraklean Peninsula with finds of roof tiles stamped probably by a late Roman legion, architectural remains on Bezymyannaya hill, tower-like structures along the edge of Sapun Gora as described by P.S. Pallas in late 18th c., fortified sites in Khomutova, Yukharina, and Berman ravines (balkas). To the best of our belief, the only sites reliably testifying the Roman military presence around Chersonesos in the early centuries AD are Kazatskaya hill and Balaklava-Kadykovka. The available evidences point to the inhabitants of the fortified and non-fortified farmhouses and village-sized settlemets in the chora of Chersonesos as civil population, including possibly Roman veterans. The authors come to the conclusion that the Roman detachments in south-western Crimea had their headquarters in Chersonesos and few bases and sentry-posts on the outskirts of the Chersonesan territory. No system similar to the Roman limes was needed to provide sufficient protection of the frontier and to contribute to peaceful relations between the Greek and neighbouring indigenous populations.

- Nathan

Re: Forts / cities in the Crimea - D B Campbell - 06-22-2010

Quote:There was also, in the Flavian and Trajanic era, an equestrian official in charge of the region, the Procurator (regionis) Chersonesi:

CIL 03, 00726 (Thrace, early 2nd century) - C(aio) Manlio [3] f(ilio) Q(uirina) / Felici trib(uno) mil(itum) leg(ionis) VI[I] / C(laudiae) P(iae) F(idelis) adlect(o) in decur(ias) / iudic(um) selector(um) a divo / Tito praef(ecto) fabr(um) Imp(eratoris) / Caesaris Nervae Trai(ani) / Germ(anici) Dacici II praef(ecto) class(ium) / Pann(oniae) et Germ(anicae) proc(uratori) Aug(usti) reg(ionis) / Chers(onesi) proc(uratori) Aug(usti) XX hered(itatium) / d(ecreto) d(ecurionum)

CIL 03, 12053 (Alexandria, late 1st/early 2nd century) - C(aio) Minicio C(ai) f(ilio) Vel(ina) Italo / praef(ecto) coh(ortis) V Gall(icae) eq(uitatae) et I Breucor(um) / et II Varcianor(um) eq(uitatae) c(ivium) R(omanorum) trib(uno) mi[l(itum)] [le]g(ionis) / V[I] Vict[r(icis) p]raef(ecto) a(lae) I sing(ularium) c(ivium) R(omanorum) proc(uratori) / Chers(onesi) proc(uratori) provinc(iae) Asia[e] proc(uratori) / provinciar(um) Lug(u)dunensis / et Aquitanic(ae) praef(ecto) annon(ae) / praef(ecto) Aeg(ypti) / A(ulus) Pedanius Maes(ianus) / |(centurio) leg(ionis) III Gallic(ae)
Don't confuse the Thracian Chersonese with the Tauric Chersonese. The former had been "Romanised" since before Augustus -- hence, the involvement of the equestrian procurators that you have found; the latter was the Bosporan Kingdom (Crimea), which the Romans evidently felt was fair game, as it lay within easy reach of the Moesian legions.

Re: Forts / cities in the Crimea - Nathan Ross - 06-22-2010

Quote:Don't confuse the Thracian Chersonese with the Tauric Chersonese.

Ah, ok, that is confusing! :o The Thracian Chersonese (ie the Dardanelles) did have Imperial domains, so would have needed procurators as you say. I was misled by the mention of a cornicularius procuratoris in one of the other inscriptions (AE 1991, 01378, above), but now I see that the dedicatee's service in this role is distinct from his 'initial service as a recruit' in the Bosphoran war, with it's 'many dangers in the barbarian lands' - the procurator would have been in Moesia Inferior, I suppose?

- Nathan

Re: Forts / cities in the Crimea - clibanarius - 06-22-2010

See these maps of Roman military sites in Crimea.

Re: Forts / cities in the Crimea - Gaius Julius Caesar - 06-23-2010

Thanks for the maps, that is interesting information.

Re: Forts / cities in the Crimea - D B Campbell - 01-09-2011

Just came across this news item (4/1/2011): "Polish archeologists discover Roman fort in Ukraine. Roman legionary quarters have been discovered on the Crimean peninsula on the Black Sea by Polish archeologists. A team of Polish archeologists ... have discovered a house of a Roman legionary consisting of several spacious rooms in Balaklava in the Crimea. ..."

Er ... didn't we already know that there was a fort at Balaclava? :?

Re: Forts / cities in the Crimea - clibanarius - 01-09-2011

Quote:Er ... didn't we already know that there was a fort at Balaclava? :?

Yes, we know, but it's news for the Polish media Smile

Re: Forts / cities in the Crimea - Matthew Amt - 01-10-2011

Oh, yeah, I ran across that appalling little article a couple days ago. Gave no indication why a house should be thought to belong to a legionary, nor why a house implied the presence of a fort! I can only assume the writer left out all the important details. Why even bother to write something like that? Obviously the archeologists would never jump to conclusions...

Matthew

Re: Forts / cities in the Crimea - clibanarius - 01-11-2011

If anyone interested to learn more about the Roman military camp in Balaklava look here:
http://www.sevmonument.ru/readarticle.php?article_id=6
http://ancientrome.ru/publik/zubar/zubar02.htm
Who does not know Russian language can use Google translator.