RomanArmyTalk
Icelandic Volcano: Final Nail in coffin for trip to Rome! - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Recreational Arena (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=18)
+--- Thread: Icelandic Volcano: Final Nail in coffin for trip to Rome! (/showthread.php?tid=16733)

Pages: 1 2 3

Icelandic Volcano: Final Nail in coffin for trip to Rome! - Gaius Julius Caesar - 04-15-2010

Well, thats the final straw, all flights cancelled, money down the drain for shipping gear to rome, and stuck in the north sea
until this thing blows over. Sad

Re: Icelandic Volcano: Final Nail in coffin for trip to Rome! - sulla felix - 04-15-2010

The Gods clearly did not want us to go Byron!

Let us hope Nijmegen finds more favour with the Gods.

Re: Icelandic Volcano: Final Nail in coffin for trip to Rome! - Praefectusclassis - 04-15-2010

That bites guys! But I'm right there with you wishing for better weather in June! Boat should have less trouble anyway.

Re: Icelandic Volcano: Final Nail in coffin for trip to Rome! - Gaius Julius Caesar - 04-15-2010

Well, I will be at work for that so this was my one big trip of the year,, a few thousand down the drain.

Re: Icelandic Volcano: Final Nail in coffin for trip to Rome! - sulla felix - 04-15-2010

I am sorry to hear that Byron - that really sucks.

Re: Icelandic Volcano: Final Nail in coffin for trip to Rome! - jkaler48 - 04-15-2010

At least you weren't planning a vacation to that wonderful seaside resort at Herculaneum in AD79 Smile .
I hope all your gear returns in good condition.

Re: Icelandic Volcano: Final Nail in coffin for trip to Rome! - Gaius Julius Caesar - 04-15-2010

Yeah thanks ~Baz.

I thought you were going out too anyway?

Yes very true, John. i know my gear is still safe, as it did not get shipped, but there was still the expenses of taking it to be shipped.
I could live with that part of it though if it had been shipped out there, as then at least, those who are there already would be able to participate in the parade.
But to have lost that bit as well as a holiday would have been a bummer, of the frst degree! Sad
Anyway, I am praying for a wind shift......

Re: Icelandic Volcano: Final Nail in coffin for trip to Rome! - Marcus Mummius - 04-15-2010

Quote:Well, I will be at work for that so this was my one big trip of the year,, a few thousand down the drain.

That really sucks! :evil: I'm very sorry for you.

Icelandic Volcano: Final Nail in coffin for trip to Rome! - ParthianBow - 04-15-2010

That stinks :evil: - sorry to hear that, Byron.

Wellit's not only me. Nunu has been shafted too.
Now they have extended the no fly untill 13:00 tomorrow, the chances of getting off intime to redeem anything are slipping away!

Re: Icelandic Volcano: Final Nail in coffin for trip to Rome! - MARCvSVIBIvSMAvRINvS - 04-15-2010

That is why a voyage by sea is so handy...........

;P

M.VIB.M.

Re: Icelandic Volcano: Final Nail in coffin for trip to Rome! - Gaius Julius Caesar - 04-16-2010

Well, I out at sea, and still can't get home. Maybe if this thing lasts too much longer....they may decide to alter the rules and allow sea transfers..

Re: Icelandic Volcano: Final Nail in coffin for trip to Rome! - jkaler48 - 04-16-2010

Last news I saw said it could last weeks and not impossible to go on for months to a year. Not very good for the world economy.

Re: Icelandic Volcano: Final Nail in coffin for trip to Rome! - Gaius Julius Caesar - 04-16-2010

Well, I'm hoping the wind shifts to a westerly, soon!

Re: Icelandic Volcano: Final Nail in coffin for trip to Rome! - jkaler48 - 04-16-2010

"Three previous eruptions of Eyjafjallajökull are known in the last 1100 years (historical time in Iceland). The most recent began in December 1821 and lasted intermittently for more than a year. The neighbouring volcano Katla erupted then on 26 June 1823. Other eruptions include an eruption in 1612 or 1613, and about 920 A.D."
Source is Icelandic Met office: http://en.vedur.is/earthquakes-and-volc ... es/nr/1852