RomanArmyTalk
New larger cheek plates - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Reenactment (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Roman Re-Enactment & Reconstruction (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Thread: New larger cheek plates (/showthread.php?tid=16355)

Pages: 1 2

New larger cheek plates - muskitear - 01-26-2010

I have had to make larger cheek plates for my helmet. (H) They were easy to make but putting new brass around the edges was a total nightmare.
I spent about £14 on 6mm brass tube. Gently clamped it in the vice and filed it flat bit by bit. Then tapped a sharp knife along it to make a slit.
I then annealed it and tapped it onto the edgde of a section of 20gague steel then tapped it flat.
I then proceeded to work it onto the edges of the cheek plates.
I had to heat it to go round the front detail on the plate and tap it on with a piece of dowling.
The brass at this point was kinking and I had to keep opening it up with a knife to keep it straight. I got there in the end but what a sodding palava. Any secrets i should know about??

Re: New larger cheek plates - muskitear - 01-26-2010

[attachment=0:2f099gej]<!-- ia0 100_0666.JPG<!-- ia0 [/attachment:2f099gej]

Re: New larger cheek plates - muskitear - 01-26-2010

[attachment=0:2z0yfj3i]<!-- ia0 100_0665.JPG<!-- ia0 [/attachment:2z0yfj3i]

Re: New larger cheek plates - jvrjenivs - 01-27-2010

lovely. And yes, it can be a realy nightmare. I myself have one cheekpiece left which need a new rim and already destoryed 2 pieces during the process. Maybe I'll give it another try later this week.

What I do is start at the front top and drill a 2mm hole in it, where I can attach the new edge to the plate with a 2 mm rivet (not secured, as you have to remove it for regularly re-annealing. Now I just go round the endge and see how far I reach. Just gently hammering and re-annealing at the hard points. Also, I start from sheet and start with making it to an U shape piece.

Re: New larger cheek plates - Matthew Amt - 01-27-2010

Well, it looks pretty good to me! We used tube for helmet edgings, too, way back when, first annealing and shaping, then slitting the inside with a Dremel, prying it open, and fitting into place. But I think we used thinner tube, 3 or 4 mm. With wider material comes more trouble with puckering. So whether you use sheet or tube, that may be part of the answer. Been a long time since I had to do anything like that, but I'd probably just go with sheet these days.

Keep at it!

Matthew

Re: New larger cheek plates - muskitear - 01-27-2010

Its all a learning curve. I did try with a very thin tube but it was too small. I think 6mm tube is pretty good once you have flattened it on a length the same guage steel....NOT too flat or it wont go on,
My helmet is the same as all the (H) I have seen and the ones we have in stock. Too small cheek plates. Its like buying a Rolls royce with Mini doors lol.

Re: New larger cheek plates - Gaius Julius Caesar - 01-27-2010

Actualy, I would say the same about the 'C' too. Apart from the earhole alignment problem, the cheek pieces are way too small.
But it is one of the best looking gallic helmets in many ways.... :roll:

Re: New larger cheek plates - Marcus Mummius - 01-28-2010

I suspect cheekguards are made that short to be able to fold them into the helmet for easy shipment.

A lot of people have the problem of deepeeka cheekguards being too short...

Re: New larger cheek plates - muskitear - 01-28-2010

I love my (H). Some of our guys have theirs stripped then tinned but I am trying to avoid that. I have burnished mine so much it looks tinned anyway. My (H) came from Medeival Arms. They do have some odd iffy trooper helmets on there but I think I was lucky. I paid £85 + £14 postage 2 yrs ago for it and £50 for a nice pilum incuding postage,
Armamenteria have the exact same helmet

Quote:I love my (H). Some of our guys have theirs stripped then tinned but I am trying to avoid that. I have burnished mine so much it looks tinned anyway. My (H) came from Medeival Arms. They do have some odd iffy trooper helmets on there but I think I was lucky. I paid £85 + £14 postage 2 yrs ago for it and £50 for a nice pilum incuding postage,
Armamenteria have the exact same helmet
[attachment=1:ewuc3iw9]<!-- ia1 100_0658.JPG<!-- ia1 [/attachment:ewuc3iw9][attachment=2:ewuc3iw9]<!-- ia2 100_0656.JPG<!-- ia2 [/attachment:ewuc3iw9][attachment=3:ewuc3iw9]<!-- ia3 100_0652.JPG<!-- ia3 [/attachment:ewuc3iw9][attachment=0:ewuc3iw9]<!-- ia0 100_0650.JPG<!-- ia0 [/attachment:ewuc3iw9]

Here's something I have been doodling with.

The photos are out of order the bottom one was prior to giving old Vespasien a buff on the polisher. Big Grin

Re: New larger cheek plates - jvrjenivs - 01-28-2010

wow, thats a nice imago. Did you make that yourself? Wonderful job!

Quote:wow, thats a nice imago. Did you make that yourself? Wonderful job!
Yes I made it from 18g steel sheet. I beat the dome on that ring its sitting on then chased out the flutes with a rounded off bolster chisel. I soldered the shell onto a copper base and have yet to make and solder the tubular bit to shove it on a pole. I like a challenge. I have a few pugios I will put on here later. Also I made my own lorica which I will put on here now I have figured out how to crop and resize the photos..You have to bear with me I am 65 on Febuary the 3rd LOL Big Grin lol:
We are getting the imagio tinned next week. We have every other standard except this one. They are usully expensive to have made. I was asked if I could make one. I copied it from a picture.

Re: New larger cheek plates - jvrjenivs - 01-28-2010

You mean the dome, or did you did the emperors face also yourself with punches? Want to make such a piece also, some day.

Quote:You mean the dome, or did you did the emperors face also yourself with punches? Want to make such a piece also, some day.
No I must confess the emperor is a casting. But am looking into using very thin brass sheet or shim to draw and then emboss pictures on. Once this is done I am going to melt down old pewter mugs and cast them..Another challenge.

Re: New larger cheek plates - Peroni - 01-28-2010

Quote:A lot of people have the problem of deepeeka cheekguards being too short...

The H and G were deveoped by Armae if you remember - Why they chose such a short cheek guard I don't know, but there are a lot of original pieces out there that are approximately the same size as the reconstruction. Personally, I too thing the H guards are too short, but each to their own. :wink: I would swap the G guards onto the H.

(I happen to have a spare set of G guards if anyone needs a pair! PM me.)

Like the imago Mike! coming along nicely!