RomanArmyTalk
Soldiers, cities & civilians in Roman Syria - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Research Arena (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: References & Reviews (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Soldiers, cities & civilians in Roman Syria (/showthread.php?tid=1592)

Soldiers, cities & civilians in Roman Syria - Guest - 03-21-2001

Title: <i> Soldiers, cities & civilians in Roman Syria</i><br>
Author: Nigel Pollard<br>
ISBN: 0-472-11155-8<br>
Publisher: University of Michigan Press.<br>
Place and year of publication: Ann Arbor 2000<br>
Number of pages: 349<br>
<br>
In this book, based on the author's doctoral dissertation, the impact of the Roman army on Syria, Mesopotamia and Osrhoene is described in various respects. Its three main subjects are the involvement of the eastern Roman army in the towns, the interaction between soldiers and civilians and the economic impact of the Roman army on the eastern provinces.<br>
<br>
It examines the continuing close relationship between the army and the cities throughout the empire starting with bases initialy sited in close proximity to urban centres to the development of fortress cities built for both military purposes as well as doubling as civilian urban settlements. In addition it focuses on the diverse relationships between the military and the civilians, both formal and informal. Evidence relating to a wide range of spheres of interaction is carefully considered. The intrusive characteristics of the army and it separate institutional identity in particular are given much attention. Social, legal, cultural, linguistic, religious and economic differences would be factors dividing even locally recruited troops from the civilian population. Regarding the economic impact of the Roman army a number of observations are made that challenge the traditional view of the Roman army as a benefiting provincial economy and stress the burden of the military presence.<br>
<br>
The book is well written and researched. The author gives a good account of available evidence and the problems regarding interpretation, displaying necessary caution in drawing conclusions, yet questioning some widely held perceptions regarding the Roman army's role in the Romanisation and as an economic stimulus. The second and third parts of the book treat many subjects of interest and make it a deserving read.<br>
<br>
Sander van Dorst<br>
<br>
Related reading material<br>
<br>
(1) Eastern Roman army and interaction between the military and the civilian population<br>
<br>
Alston, R., <i> Soldier and society in Roman Egypt</i> (London 1995) 263p.<br>
Isaac, B., <i> The limits of empire. The Roman army in the East (rev. ed.)</i> (Oxford 1993) 519p.<br>
Kennedy, D., 'The military contribution of Syria to the Roman imperial army' in: D.H. French and C.S. Lightfoot (ed.), <i> Bar(i) 553: The eastern frontier of the Roman empire</i> (Oxford 1989), 235-246.<br>
MacMullen, R., <i> Soldier and civilian in the Later Roman Empire</i> (Cambridge Mass. 1963).<br>
<br>
(2) The Roman east<br>
<br>
Ball, W., <i> Rome in the East. The transformation of an empire</i> (London 2000) 523p.<br>
Millar, F., <i> The Roman Near East 31BC-AD337</i> (Cambridge Mass. 1993) 585p.<br>
Stoneman, R., <i> Palmyra and its empire</i> (Ann Arbor 1994) 246p.<br>
<p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://pub45.ezboard.com/bromanarmytalk.showLocalUserPublicProfile?login=sandervandorst>Sander van Dorst</A> at: 3/21/01 8:03:46 pm<br></i>

Re: Soldiers, cities & civilians in Roman Syria - Praefectusclassis - 03-21-2001

Hi Sander,<br>
<br>
Sounds like an interesting book. Is there anything in it about the Classis Syriaca or any of the other parts of the Roman fleet?<br>
Greetings<br>
<br>
Jasper <p></p><i></i>

Re: Soldiers, cities & civilians in Roman Syria - Guest - 03-22-2001

Salve,<br>
<br>
The Roman navy does not feature prominently in the book. The recruitment of sailors is covered though, as is the role of the fleet in logistical support. Some loose references are also made to naval personel in the description of interaction with the civilian population. The most attention to the navy is given in one of the appendices, the catalogue of sites from the principate, where several pages are devoted to the naval base at Seleucia Pieria.<br>
<br>
Regards,<br>
<br>
Sander van Dorst <p></p><i></i>

Re: Soldiers, cities & civilians in Roman Syria - Praefectusclassis - 03-22-2001

Salve!<br>
(Sigh!) As usual the navy is a side-show...<br>
Would you say it's worth parting with 50 odd dollars for it, or should I get it from the University library?<br>
<br>
Greetings<br>
<br>
Jasper <p></p><i></i>

Re: Soldiers, cities & civilians in Roman Syria - Praefectusclassis - 03-22-2001

Salve!<br>
(Sigh!) As usual the navy is a side-show...<br>
Would you say it's worth parting with 50 odd dollars for it, or should I get it from the University library?<br>
<br>
Greetings<br>
<br>
Jasper Oorthuys<br>
<br>
Ooops, sorry, Ezboard fooled me. I got an error and thought the message wasn't posted.<br>
Please don't take this as a cheap way to rise in the ranks! <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://pub45.ezboard.com/ujasperoorthuys.showPublicProfile?language=EN>Jasper Oorthuys</A> at: 3/22/01 10:23:33 pm<br></i>

Re: Soldiers, cities & civilians in Roman Syria - Guest - 03-23-2001

Salve,<br>
<br>
That depends on whether you want to own every book published on the Roman army or not. If you are only interested in the navy bits, it is probably better to lend it from the library and copy the dozen pages or so where sailors or the fleet are mentioned.<br>
<br>
Vale,<br>
<br>

syria & dura europos - richsc - 03-23-2001

Sander, would books on Dura Europos be relevent to the Syrian picture? I have one book from the first excavations there, and there are quite subsequently that talk about the cultural aspects of the city. <p></p><i></i>

Re: syria & dura europos - Guest - 03-23-2001

Salve,<br>
<br>
They would most certainly do. The evidence from Dura is given much attention in the book by Pollard.<br>
<br>
The related reading material cited is not comprehensive, but more a loose selection from related books and articles that I have on the shelf myself. Please do add any related titles that you think are relevant also. Pointers to yet more books on subjects are always welcome.<br>
<br>
Regards,<br>
<br>

Simon James on Dura Europos - richsc - 03-23-2001

In addition to writing about DE, Simon James has a website:<br>
www.le.ac.uk/archaeology/stj/index.html<br>
<br>
He very kindly sent me some copies of his articles on museum and display reconstruction, which are really interesting. In particular he presents multiple possible interpretations of the reconstruction of excavated buildings. <p></p><i></i>