RomanArmyTalk
Going to Tripolitania - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Research Arena (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Roman Military History & Archaeology (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Going to Tripolitania (/showthread.php?tid=15637)

Pages: 1 2

Going to Tripolitania - Medicus matt - 08-18-2009

Being sent to Libya soon so what archaeology is worth seeing other than Leptis and Sabratah?
Anything in Tripoli itself? Any museums of note?

Re: Going to Tripolitania - Jona Lendering - 08-18-2009

Quote:Being sent to Libya soon so what archaeology is worth seeing other than Leptis and Sabratah?
Anything in Tripoli itself? Any museums of note?
The Limes Tripolitanus is the main archaeological monument in Libya, but tourist operators are not really interested in it because, hey, that means they have to work. So they send people to easily accessible sites like Lepcis, which is moderately interesting, or Sabratha, which is overestimated, or the National Museum, which is indeed great. But try to get to the forts of Bu Njem or Gheriat al-Garbia, and make sure you visit Ghirza. These are the things that are, unlike Lepcis and Sabratha, unique.

Books to read:
  • *David Mattingly, Roman Tripolitana (1995 London)
    *Erwin Ruprechtsberger, Die römische Limeszone in Tripolitanien und der Kyrenaika, Tunesien - Libyen (1993 Aalen; Limes Museum)
Write me a p.m. for the phone number of a reliable driver who can bring you to Ghirza and the other monuments.

Re: Going to Tripolitania - Medicus matt - 08-18-2009

Many thanks Jona.

Re: Going to Tripolitania - Medicus matt - 09-04-2010

Well, so far I've only done the 'obvious' things but I thought they were pretty damned impressive.

I've loaded all of my photos from visits to Sabratha and Leptis Magna, plus pics from Tripoli Museum....

[url:2esr9j18]http://s418.photobucket.com/albums/pp263/medicusmatt/Leptis%20Magna/[/url]
[url:2esr9j18]http://s418.photobucket.com/albums/pp263/medicusmatt/Sabratha%202010/[/url]
[url:2esr9j18]http://s418.photobucket.com/albums/pp263/medicusmatt/Tripoli%20Museum/[/url]

I'm saving the great trek into the interior until it's a little cooler than the 42-46 C that it has been of late.

Re: Going to Tripolitania - D B Campbell - 09-05-2010

Quote:I've loaded all of my photos from visits to Sabratha and Leptis Magna ...
If you come across IRT 541 at Lepcis, I would value a decent photo!
This is the only one I can find:[attachment=0:2zugqx4l]<!-- ia0 IRT541.jpg<!-- ia0 [/attachment:2zugqx4l]

Re: Going to Tripolitania - MARCvSVIBIvSMAvRINvS - 09-06-2010

Beautiful photos !!

Would one day love to visit these cities, but am unsure on how the guides or proprietors would react if id decided to wear my toga praetexta on my visit...

M.VIB.M.

Re: Going to Tripolitania - Medicus matt - 09-06-2010

Quote:
Medicus matt:u48q3f6c Wrote:I've loaded all of my photos from visits to Sabratha and Leptis Magna ...
If you come across IRT 541 at Lepcis, I would value a decent photo!
This is the only one I can find:[attachment=0:u48q3f6c]<!-- ia0 IRT541.jpg<!-- ia0 [/attachment:u48q3f6c]

I'll be returning to Leptis shortly so will see what I can do.

Re: Going to Tripolitania - SMC - 09-06-2010

Hope the trip to Libya is going well. Tocra (Tucheira) between Ptolemais and Berenice is worth a visit. There are Lellenistic and Roman fortications of the city still extant. There are some ruins of early churches as well. I can send you a ground plan if you want. Look forward to seeing more pictures, expecially of late Roman fortifications.

All the best,
Stephen

Re: Going to Tripolitania - Medicus matt - 09-07-2010

Quote:Hope the trip to Libya is going well. Tocra (Tucheira) between Ptolemais and Berenice is worth a visit. There are Lellenistic and Roman fortications of the city still extant. There are some ruins of early churches as well. I can send you a ground plan if you want. Look forward to seeing more pictures, expecially of late Roman fortifications.

All the best,
Stephen

I'm based on the outskirts of Tripoli and getting over to the east is tricky at the moment (for reasons too tedious to go into..and I promised The Queen that I wouldn't). However, a few of us are planning on taking a couple of weeks to go over to Cyrenaica early next year so will put it on the list of places to go.

Off to look at a newly discovered set of early Christian catacombs this weekend.

Re: Going to Tripolitania - john m roberts - 09-07-2010

I'm still waiting to see quality photos of the fabulous gladiator mosaics discovered in Libya a few years ago. They were removed from the site and taken to a museum for conservation and as far as I know nobody has seen them since. If you can get a line on where they are, and maybe even get some pictures, many of us would be eternally grateful.

Re: Going to Tripolitania - Medicus matt - 09-07-2010

Quote:I'm still waiting to see quality photos of the fabulous gladiator mosaics discovered in Libya a few years ago. They were removed from the site and taken to a museum for conservation and as far as I know nobody has seen them since. If you can get a line on where they are, and maybe even get some pictures, many of us would be eternally grateful.

Look at the file containing my pics from Tripoli museum. I think you'll find what you're looking for there....the first dozen or so images.

I've got much higher res pics if you want to see them but I'd have to put them on a disc for you.

Re: Going to Tripolitania - john m roberts - 09-08-2010

Matt:
That is the familiar Zliten mosaic that has been published many times. The one I refer to was found around 2005 and there was some discussion about it in the Ancient Combat Sports forum in that year. apparently it is of surpassing workmanship but was taken to the Mosaic Museum where it hasn't been seen since. Here is the London Times article.
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/w ... 532700.ece
If you can track it down and get some pictures, your elevation to godhood is assured.
John

Re: Going to Tripolitania - Medicus matt - 09-10-2010

What, this one?

[attachment=0:39x32r40]<!-- ia0 eni_north-africa-03.jpg<!-- ia0 [/attachment:39x32r40]

They started the conservation work late last year and the mosaics are due to go on show in a purpose built museum in the next month or so. I take people over to Leptis every couple of months so I'll keep an eye on the situation.

Re: Going to Tripolitania - D B Campbell - 09-10-2010

Quote:Look at the file containing my pics from Tripoli museum.
No Severan sculpture in the museum?! :? I thought old Septimius would've been there.

Re: Going to Tripolitania - john m roberts - 09-13-2010

Quote:What, this one?

[attachment=0:gcaiovlv]<!-- ia0 eni_north-africa-03.jpg<!-- ia0 [/attachment:gcaiovlv]

They started the conservation work late last year and the mosaics are due to go on show in a purpose built museum in the next month or so. I take people over to Leptis every couple of months so I'll keep an eye on the situation.
That's the one! Many of us would love to see some closeup, detailed pics of it, along with the other Games-themed mosaics found with it.