RomanArmyTalk
The Straight Wire fibula - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Reenactment (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Roman Re-Enactment & Reconstruction (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Thread: The Straight Wire fibula (/showthread.php?tid=15634)

The Straight Wire fibula - Lucius Antonius Aquinas - 08-17-2009

Salve!

Here's my latest work that I finished just today. It's a straight wire fibula from La Tene III period and it's made from 4mm thick silver wire.

Re: The Straight Wire fibula - Gaius Julius Caesar - 08-17-2009

Very elegant work!

Re: The Straight Wire fibula - scott - 08-18-2009

Very simple, very beautiful! Nice work.

Re: The Straight Wire fibula - M. Demetrius - 08-18-2009

Made of silver? Very simple and beautiful. From the look so fit, it would fit into just about anybody's kit, male or female. Were any of the originals made from bronze? Iron?

Re: The Straight Wire fibula - Lucius Antonius Aquinas - 08-18-2009

Most straight wire fibulas that I've seen are made from bronze but nowdays thick bronze wires are hard to come by. I got hold of 8mm thick wire that I cold hammered last week to make myself a torque. I can tell you that it's really hard stuff and breaks easily. You just have to heat it up and quench it time after time.

Re: The Straight Wire fibula - Gaius Julius Caesar - 08-18-2009

I thought you had to let bronze cool slowly before working? :?

Re: The Straight Wire fibula - Lucius Antonius Aquinas - 08-18-2009

Well in my experience the fast cooling makes bronze soft and malleable. Too slow cooling affects the crystal structure of bronze and actually hardens it, thus making any heat treatment void. I usually heat the bronze to dull red and let it cool in air for a while untill it's not red anymore. Then I quench it in water and start working. I bet that cooling bronze in normal air temperature isn't going to harden it but if you let it cool in a forge covered in coals for many hours, well that's a different ballgame.

Re: The Straight Wire fibula - Gaius Julius Caesar - 08-18-2009

Well, thats what I was meaning....cool in the air...but I am no expert, and tend to forget things if I am not practicing them frequently.
Thanks for the tip though, I didn't realise you could cool it in water to speed things up!

Re: The Straight Wire fibula - Robert - 08-19-2009

Very nicely done! Is there evidence for these in iron as well? I like the simple, elegant shape.

Re: The Straight Wire fibula - Medicus matt - 08-19-2009

Quote:Well, thats what I was meaning....cool in the air...but I am no expert, and tend to forget things if I am not practicing them frequently.
Thanks for the tip though, I didn't realise you could cool it in water to speed things up!

You anneal ferrous metals by allowing them to air cool from cherry red but not bronze!
You should quench copper and copper alloys (and gold and silver i think?)to anneal them. If you leave them to cool slowly then they harden up.

Re: The Straight Wire fibula - caiusbeerquitius - 08-19-2009

Quote:You anneal ferrous metals by allowing them to air cool from cherry red but not bronze!
You should quench copper and copper alloys (and gold and silver i think?)to anneal them. If you leave them to cool slowly then they harden up.

Exactly.

Re: The Straight Wire fibula - Gaius Julius Caesar - 08-19-2009

So straight out of the fire into the water?

Re: The Straight Wire fibula - caiusbeerquitius - 08-19-2009

Yes.

Re: The Straight Wire fibula - Medicus matt - 08-19-2009

Yes. Not too hot though, cherry, not orange.

Re: The Straight Wire fibula - Gaius Julius Caesar - 08-19-2009

Thanks!