RomanArmyTalk
Interested in Roman Riding? - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Reenactment (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Roman Re-Enactment & Reconstruction (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Thread: Interested in Roman Riding? (/showthread.php?tid=15626)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Re: Interested in Roman Riding? - John Conyard - 05-09-2010

"A History of British Native Ponies" by Anthony Dent and Daphne Machin Goodall (1988) first published as the "Foals of Epona" in 1962 gives a good old fashioned introduction into our native breeds.

Hal got to try Murph's bridle today and I liked the result. He's still thinking about it :lol:

Re: Interested in Roman Riding? - LUCIUS ALFENUS AVITIANUS - 05-09-2010

Hello,

One of the saddle strap was bad ajusted, slips and catches the prepuce skin of my Haflinger. I was riding full equiped and in that moment, the horse beginns to jump with the the four legs, like in Texas Rodeo. As the horse was very crazy, and i can't get sure both of us falls against a near wall, i have jumped out of the saddle and falls in my back. I'm fine, but quite contusioned...

Re: Interested in Roman Riding? - John Conyard - 05-10-2010

All experience is hard won. I hope the horse is OK and get well soon.

I was talking to one client who positively liked the potentially dangerous side of recreating Roman cavalry. He said the more dangerous it looked, the more the crowd liked it. I understand what he means but it is not what we are trying to achieve.

Re: Interested in Roman Riding? - LUCIUS ALFENUS AVITIANUS - 05-10-2010

of course! I want to show a cavalryman reenactor, not a real roman cavalryman, because i'm not a real roman cavalryman. The control of the horse was quite more hard that the admisible today. I love both horses which i have ride, and dont want to make any pain to them. Even i dont want to use spurs. I don't want to make a impressive show, i want to show the equipment of a roman cavalryman, and show simple movements. The "rodeo" was produced by an accident, not searched!!! Big Grin

The horse is fine (well... you hopes the horse were fine, but i supose you hopes me too... :wink: ). The strap pinches his prepuce, but when a friend hs pull of the strap, the horses get normal, without any wound.

Re: Interested in Roman Riding? - Robert Vermaat - 05-11-2010

Quote:The horse is fine (well... you hopes the horse were fine, but i supose you hopes me too... :wink: ).
Of course we do Cesar! But you already told us that you were OK, but not about the horse.. :wink:

Re: Interested in Roman Riding? - Lessa - 05-11-2010

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=7 ... 8157298481

roman riders, Legio IIII Flavia, Sardinia, during "AD SIGNA MILITES" in Sassari.

Re: Interested in Roman Riding? - John Conyard - 05-26-2010

Hal was returned to work after a two week break. He was losing too much weight and just turning to muscle and bone. After lots of high protein food he is back to where he should be. I was expecting him to be a real fire cracker after the break, but instead he was lazy in the sunshine. He is also getting used to a new bit and bridle so nothing is easy.

One of the horns of my saddle was working lose from the rest of the frame. I've replace many horns over the years and this one had split down the wood grain. Looking around my garage for some suitable close grained wood I decided to use horn instead. I now have a horn actually made from horn. it will be interesting to see how it copes with the stresses and strains. I made my first bridle at the same time, and I can see how making bridles may become addictive.

I want seven Roman cavalry for Sledmere in the middle of June, but we are running a stallion alongside geldings, mares and a gelding who thinks he is stallion. It all gets very messy. Hal is too busy kicking the other horses to concentrate on kicking the infantry.

Re: Interested in Roman Riding? - M. Demetrius - 05-26-2010

John, I really appreciate your running commentary. It's amazing how you are able to explain things to a non-horseman and cause it all to make sense. Be careful, though. As we age, the flying is just as easy as ever, but the landings get more sloppy.... :wink:

Re: Interested in Roman Riding? - Marina - 05-27-2010

Messy? Well thats one way to put it. I could do without the wake up calls! Big Grin

Re: Interested in Roman Riding? - LUCIUS ALFENUS AVITIANUS - 05-31-2010

Salve,

Finally, i have made my debut as cavalryman (explorator) at Tarraco Viva festival (Tarragona, Spain). It was very funny, i have represented an explorator who carry the new of the victory of Vespasian.

Some pictures:

[Image: wachtamrein.jpg]

[Image: wachtamrein2.jpg]

And yes, gallop in a roman saddle is funny!!!

Re: Interested in Roman Riding? - M. Demetrius - 05-31-2010

Another fine looking cavalryman. And the horse, too!

Re: Interested in Roman Riding? - LUCIUS ALFENUS AVITIANUS - 05-31-2010

Here, with my friend and teacher, Alin Jon Pop dressed as a cursor or message carrier. At the back, a roman acueduct.

[Image: mars.jpg]

Re: Interested in Roman Riding? - LUCIUS ALFENUS AVITIANUS - 06-01-2010

One detail of the helmet:

[Image: 29652_1400299139153_1582534615_9277.jpg]

And one more of Estrella my female horse:

[Image: P5295458.jpg]

With Estrella, riding is incredibly easy and fun.

Re: Interested in Roman Riding? - jvrjenivs - 06-01-2010

I think I shouldn't look into this topic any more. You're making me so jealous.

Anyway, again great pictures Cesar. I've been working on my iacula bag, which will be ready in due course. Some more display items ordered and on their way, so probably some pictures of my impression soon.

Re: Interested in Roman Riding? - John Conyard - 06-05-2010

The photos look great Cesar. The kit looks good and it is worn well. We do up our breaching straps much looser than yours, they don't really do much.

Such photos should encourage others to have a go.