RomanArmyTalk
Interested in Roman Riding? - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Reenactment (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Roman Re-Enactment & Reconstruction (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Thread: Interested in Roman Riding? (/showthread.php?tid=15626)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Re: Interested in Roman Riding? - John Conyard - 04-17-2011

We had what passed for our first dress rehearsal today. It went very well, and I may even say I am pleased, if pushed.

We had a hard spring, with a lots of practice and little progress. We started working at a second yard with other horses to make sure we would be ready for the early May Bank Holiday. After a while we decided to switch yards and go with the new horse supplier. This was a major decision but the right one. It gives us access to a greater number of trained horses, and excellent instruction.

Generally we hope to put out less horses, but much better ones. This year we aim for quality in everything we do. We want to concentrate on 4/5th century kit. Every rider will be expected to do mobile horse archery in the cantabrian,

[attachment=603]033.JPG[/attachment]

and everybody should be able to manoeuvre with the kontos without reins. I want one large Hunnic style horse with a steppe saddle

[attachment=601]142.JPG[/attachment]

to act as a contrast with more "Roman" cavalry.

[attachment=600]020.JPG[/attachment]

I have ridden more horses in the past few weeks than I can remember. And I rather like concentrating on quality. It makes the shows much better, and teaches us more as riders.

[attachment=604]107.JPG[/attachment]

Re: Interested in Roman Riding? - jvrjenivs - 04-17-2011

Wow, that is a big change, especially this close to the season. But they pictures are looking wonderful. I'm glad we don't have any show planned this season, although I'll be discussing our first real show on wednesday, so maybe we should also get our kit ready for this summer.

Anyway, 2012 seems to going to be the real start for me, but with a big event right from the start. Big Grin Well, a lot of training ahead of me. Big Grin

Well, I'm off to the stables in a moment. Maybe tonight I can share some new pictures. Big Grin My new cavalry helmet, based on the xanten original is almost ready and we've fitted my Eining chamfron to my horses head. Let's see if she likes that one. Lot's of work, but an even bigger amount of fun, for sure.

Re: Interested in Roman Riding? - Ammianus - 04-17-2011

Yes it has indeed been a big change for us, but as John says it was very much the right decision.

My horse, Dylan :!:, was a solid horse who is happy with the contos - high low and swung around my head Confusedhock: , target runs, horse archery on a cantabrian and running at other horses. He has a brilliant attitude which means when he is going some where he will do it in the straightest line possible and if you arein the way then tough luck!

[attachment=605]12.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment=606]3.JPG[/attachment]

Also having been trained to jump over shield walls he has a very amusing habit of doing this at our infantry's shield walls. It's certainly added a certain something to the shows!

[attachment=607]4.JPG[/attachment]

Re: Interested in Roman Riding? - John Conyard - 04-17-2011

Yes it is a big change. But it was needed, both in terms of horses, and in terms of health and safety. We want the quality of the show to improve year on year and this was an excellent way of making it happen this year, and for the future. But for me health and safety were the major consideration.

The biggest change is that I ache. Riding in a steppe saddle with more Hunnic equipment makes my legs bend in a different way.

[attachment=608]043.JPG[/attachment]

Re: Interested in Roman Riding? - jvrjenivs - 04-18-2011

Quote:The biggest change is that I ache. Riding in a steppe saddle with more Hunnic equipment makes my legs bend in a different way.

Well, that is a good thing. I did fall off a couple of times yesterday and now also feel one of my legs as a result of that. Well, at least I'm finally really feeling I've been on horseback. Big Grin

Piccies of new kit have to wait till tomorrow. Olga didn't bring them yesterday. But we put some hasta heads on the shafts and started training with them. Well, they're long and heavy. But I'm happy with the first results.

Re: Interested in Roman Riding? - agrimensor - 04-18-2011

jurjen ,look very very good. hope your leg get well soon

Re: Interested in Roman Riding? - Virilis - 04-18-2011

John & Jurjen, I watch in awe, the standards of late roman re-enactment are getting higher and higher Big Grin !

Re: Interested in Roman Riding? - agrimensor - 04-18-2011

just for fun, borowed from my son this little decurion on his mount.;-) :-D

Re: Interested in Roman Riding? - agrimensor - 04-19-2011

Guys, and girls, I was talking to a collegea an archologist who does horseback riding saddlelees on icelandic ponys. We came to the question did the roman horses use the "tult" ? Which is a confortable way of riding horseback. Just something which crossed my mind because the icelanders are a smaller breed of horses and an old breed to.
So , am I wrong?

Re: Interested in Roman Riding? - Gaius Colletti - 04-19-2011

I plan on getting a few pictures of myself riding a horse, once I get the rest of my kit later this year, really much less of "Roman Riding" and more of just a photo shoot, but I was curious, I am building a first century legionnary kit and I know very little of Roman calvary, should I not wear a balteus with a hanging apron?

Naturally I don't find the balteus comfortable sitting down, I can't imagine the apron being any comfortable while riding a horse, nor did I find any pictures on this thread with anyone who appeared to be wearing a balteus with an apron. Perhaps someone could enlighten me. Thanks

Re: Interested in Roman Riding? - jvrjenivs - 04-20-2011

Quote:I know very little of Roman calvary, should I not wear a balteus with a hanging apron?

Well, I think that most evidence suggest cavalryman didn't use an apron. Good luck with your impression anyway.

I've been riding today again and it was going much better as last Sunday. Here a picture of me jumping over 50cm. Well, much to improve, but it was a good start Big Grin

[Image: jumping50cm.jpg]

Re: Interested in Roman Riding? - Robert - 04-20-2011

Hi Jurjen,

Although jumping is spectacular, I wonder if it would have been a common trait in cavalry tactics. I know some of you charge shield walls, but as far as I know, the cavalry was mainly used on the wings to really create havoc amongst archers, javelin throwers and other troops like those manning ballista and other projectile weapons stationed at the back of the front lines. This is where the speed of the horse really comes into play, as they were there before a shift of aim could be achieved. They were also great in clearing up any fleeing troops put to route, cutting them down as they fled from the battlefield.

Re: Interested in Roman Riding? - jvrjenivs - 04-20-2011

Well, of course jumping has less to do with cavalry tactics of the Romans. But it's a very good training to learn to ride. As you can see I'm also training with English saddle at the moment, all to get more feeling for my horse and how she moves.

Re: Interested in Roman Riding? - Robert - 04-20-2011

We are in total agreement yet again! I believe you are doing a great job in this and will happily support your ALA in all its efforts. Now, if only I could get those stables organized ...... :wink:

Re: Interested in Roman Riding? - John Conyard - 04-20-2011

I agree with what you say, yet sometimes ou do have to jump over natural obstacles. And it is fun!