RomanArmyTalk
Interested in Roman Riding? - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Reenactment (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Roman Re-Enactment & Reconstruction (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Thread: Interested in Roman Riding? (/showthread.php?tid=15626)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Re: Interested in Roman Riding? - Gaius Julius Caesar - 01-09-2011

Quote: Late roman gear just looks superb :twisted: ....
also personal taste! :wink:

Re: Interested in Roman Riding? - John Conyard - 01-09-2011

Virilis you bad tempered old goat! :evil: A thousand historians will be despairing at your words. Any study of Roman morale relies on primary sources, so let us applaud Byron for reading a book, and the books he is going to read. The educated person should be able to use their knowledge to come to a conclusion, and I firmly expect Byron to agree with the rest of us after his course of reading. :twisted:

I am pleased you like the look of the late Roman army. I remember you joining Comitatus to access group equipment, and I hope you use it. Recreating a late Roman cavalry man means you can combine missile and shock action and become the “perfect” Roman horseman. Maybe Jurjen will be able to give you the opportunity to try it sometime. Big Grin

Re: Interested in Roman Riding? - Virilis - 01-09-2011

Oh yes, John, I have been watching in awe Jurjen's progress with this cavalry thing! In fact a late roman horseman with a lance, good spatha, composite bow and plumbatae is "the man" in the battlefield :wink: ...

Re: Interested in Roman Riding? - jvrjenivs - 01-09-2011

Quote: Maybe Jurjen will be able to give you the opportunity to try it sometime. Big Grin

Sure. You're always welcome, Jyrki!

Quote:Oh yes, John, I have been watching in awe Jurjen's progress with this cavalry thing! In fact a late roman horseman with a lance, good spatha, composite bow and plumbatae is "the man" in the battlefield :wink: ...

Big Grin

Think I've to get some more work done on my Late Roman cavalry kit then Big Grin ) My 4th century kit is getting better. Working on some new items to improve it, and then it's back to first century kit and the stables.

Re: Interested in Roman Riding? - agrimensor - 01-10-2011

looking very good Jurjen, even better as on that camel !! It will smell a lot less, have a lot of fun with the horses, next a donkey and saddle for 8 men.
greetings

Re: Interested in Roman Riding? - M. Demetrius - 01-10-2011

Er, that's brilliant! I can't help picking up on the word order...8 men with a saddle on their backs, donkey on top.
(I'm not being critical. I always look for puns and misplaced modifiers. Hilarious to my crinkly brain. 8) )

I know what you mean, though. What did a donkey pack frame look like? I can't remember seeing one in pictures, though there must be one somewhere. No doubt it's reasonably similar to the ones still used today. The donkey body hasn't changed since Roman days, eh? That would be amazing to see: 8 men in kit marching, and a donkey carrying the gear, probably with an attendant holding the donkey bridle? A great addition to the impression. Go for it!

Re: Interested in Roman Riding? - jvrjenivs - 01-10-2011

Quote:I know what you mean, though. What did a donkey pack frame look like? I can't remember seeing one in pictures, though there must be one somewhere. No doubt it's reasonably similar to the ones still used today. The donkey body hasn't changed since Roman days, eh? That would be amazing to see: 8 men in kit marching, and a donkey carrying the gear, probably with an attendant holding the donkey bridle? A great addition to the impression. Go for it!

Euhm, then I would say: bin there, done that! With Legio XV primigenia, back in 2008.

[Image: 03_Olfen.jpg]

[Image: 06_Holsterhausen.jpg]

But yeah,that was with a modern donkey pack frame. I'm planning on making a proper replica some day, but first we need to get the horses equipped Big Grin

Re: Interested in Roman Riding? - agrimensor - 01-10-2011

Jurjen I knew you did that. Just teasing :roll: Maybe a nice idea for others. Idea
see you soon.
Vale

Re: Interested in Roman Riding? - M. Demetrius - 01-11-2011

Yes! Totally amazing and wonderful.

Re: Interested in Roman Riding? - Vindex - 01-11-2011

Quote: What did a donkey pack frame look like?

Ooooh...I wonder????? :wink:

Re: Interested in Roman Riding? - John Conyard - 01-11-2011

I cannot remember where I got this from. I think it is eastern and vaguely historic. Certainly a good design to follow.

[attachment=0:3m1j1snd]<!-- ia0 asaddle5.jpg<!-- ia0 [/attachment:3m1j1snd]

Re: Interested in Roman Riding? - jvrjenivs - 01-15-2011

Today I was able to try the saddles on our warhorses Big Grin D

[Image: paardrijden2.jpg]

[Image: paardrijden1.jpg]

Re: Interested in Roman Riding? - M. Demetrius - 01-15-2011

That's a VERY Late Roman tunic you're wearing. Looks more than comfortable in cool weather. And your calcei are very interesting looking. Where can we order some of them? :wink: :roll:

I'm really glad to see Roman cavalry growing in popularity. I know I live in Texas, but nobody I know who reenacts is interested in Roman cavalry, just American Civil War and Texas Independance eras. Oh, well.

Re: Interested in Roman Riding? - Gaius Julius Caesar - 01-15-2011

There's a opening for you then Dave!
Nice horses Jurjen, glad to see they fit a decent sized horse!
I can't wait to get riding again.

Re: Interested in Roman Riding? - M. Demetrius - 01-15-2011

Yes it is. I have no delusions of beginning to learn how to take care of horses, starting at age 60, and while I have a place to put one, it's pretty small for a horse, so I'd have to board him somewhere. I do know enough to know where they got the phrase "Eats like a horse", though. :wink: I might be able to encourage one or more to do some Roman stuff, if ever we can get the local Romans on their feet more often to do something that attracts the public attention. Working on that right now.