RomanArmyTalk
Interested in Roman Riding? - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Reenactment (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Roman Re-Enactment & Reconstruction (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Thread: Interested in Roman Riding? (/showthread.php?tid=15626)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Re: Interested in Roman Riding? - John Conyard - 08-11-2010

Yes Hal wears a breaching strap. Most of us use humane girths but we do have on lovely woven girth with no buckles, just a hoop.

I think Xenophon mentions a neck strap, and primarily they are probably something to catch hold of in an emergency, and secondly for decoration. But they can also be used to help support the weight of a heavy metal breastplate.

I don't like standing martingales. The only evidence I know of for a strap running from the saddle to the horse's breast strap to the bridle is in a relief carving of Asadu and Sa'dai from Dura, around the 2nd or 3rd century AD. The costumes are typically Palmyrean. It is now in the National Museam in Damascus. But it may just be a typical horse hair decoration from the bridle hanging downwards towards the breast strap. It is unclear.

Re: Interested in Roman Riding? - Lepidina - 08-11-2010

Quote:Most of us use humane girths but we do have on lovely woven girth with no buckles, just a hoop.

I think Xenophon mentions a neck strap, and primarily they are probably something to catch hold of in an emergency

What is a "humane" girth? Are you implying that woven girths aren't humane?

And don't horses have manes? I've only used a neck strap on horses with a roached mane or not enough of a mane to get a grip on if I needed it.

Re: Interested in Roman Riding? - Vindex - 08-11-2010

Quote:
John Conyard:2hyysiu0 Wrote:Most of us use humane girths but we do have on lovely woven girth with no buckles, just a hoop.

I think Xenophon mentions a neck strap, and primarily they are probably something to catch hold of in an emergency

What is a "humane" girth? Are you implying that woven girths aren't humane?

And don't horses have manes? I've only used a neck strap on horses with a roached mane or not enough of a mane to get a grip on if I needed it.

Humane girths are designed to prevent pinching which you can get with leather/synthetic modern girths and buckles.

My OMG strap was essential for hunting as we go out plaited...A handful of mane has saved me on plenty of occasions , however!

Re: Interested in Roman Riding? - John Conyard - 08-11-2010

I don't imply anything. I would tell you what I believed. Although it is true that a certain proportion of the British public think that sitting on a horse is cruel.

A humane girth is a general term over here for a girthing system which allows the weight to be distributed evenly, eliminating rubbing or chaffing and making over girthing difficult. I am sure you will find examples on the web.

Horses do have manes although many Greek and Roman horses were hogged to allow weapons to be used more easily. I cetainly hate trying to find the reins in a mass of mane after taking a shot while heading towards something unpleasant.

I suspect Xenophon reccomended neck straps since in effect riding without saddles using weapons in rough terrain can be tricky. And they make a great platform to which to add decoration. When falling off I grap anything, mane, neck, ears, a more positive attitude to staying on or whatever.

Re: Interested in Roman Riding? - Gaius Julius Caesar - 08-11-2010

I would sgree with that sentiment. I was dumped off a horse that went down on its knees, and jolted me off balance.
When it got up and continued to gallop with me hanging on to the side of her neck like a limpet, the decision to allow my self to be discarded
before I ended up under its neck seemed the beter part of valour. The thought of it tripping over me seemed a less atractive choice
than the loss of pride from a fall.....wasn't too far at that point any way.

But a couple of more options for grabbing onto (plus a bit more horse savvy) probably would have allowed me to regain my seat.

Re: Interested in Roman Riding? - jvrjenivs - 08-31-2010

Last week John was so kind to take me to the stables and got me having a go in Roman saddle. It was fantastic. I liked it very much and didn't find any problem with the lack of stirrups. I've to say I already think I prefer riding without over the use of stirrups. After a week at York I joined the Comitatus at their last event at sewerby Hall. Many thanks for all this to the Conyards, Amy and the rest of Comitatus. You all gave me a great experience.

Of course some pictures:

[Image: CIMG0791.jpg]

[Image: CIMG0799.jpg]

[Image: CIMG0797.jpg]

[Image: CIMG0793.jpg]

Re: Interested in Roman Riding? - Ammianus - 08-31-2010

You did a fantastic job - not everyone can get that horse going! Glad you enjoyed it.
Riding without stirrups certainly encourages you to become a better rider.
Some nice pictures Smile

Re: Interested in Roman Riding? - John Conyard - 09-03-2010

It has certainly been a busy few weeks. It was good to meet Jurjen and take him for a spin on two different horses.

[attachment=2:27wm9xnw]<!-- ia2 028.JPG<!-- ia2 [/attachment:27wm9xnw]

A week later Byron spent an afternoon on Murph in a four horned saddle. But he has all the pictures. Smile

My 6 year old Harry had a go on Murph and Hal. He really enjoyed himself. Horse archery next!

[attachment=1:27wm9xnw]<!-- ia1 IMG00075-20100901-1658.jpg<!-- ia1 [/attachment:27wm9xnw]

Hal went to a 15th century battle with me, and we basically looked pretty and ran around a bit. We watched the jousters who lumber around in straight lines failing to hit bloody large targets. Hal did very well and the gun fire and drums didn't unsettle him.

[attachment=0:27wm9xnw]<!-- ia0 191.JPG<!-- ia0 [/attachment:27wm9xnw]

And I am enjoying riding a new horse, a hunting cob who seems really rather good if over-looked. So two horses to train this winter Big Grin

It has been a special summer.

Re: Interested in Roman Riding? - Gaius Julius Caesar - 09-03-2010

I certainly enjoyed the experience, and look forward to doing it again soon.

I don't have any photos of myself, but did send the videos of you, Catherine and Harry to Amy.
I may appear inadvertently in one...

Again many thanks to you all for a great weekend at Sewerby and then the following week with the horse riding etc!

Re: Interested in Roman Riding? - jvrjenivs - 09-03-2010

Thanks for posting that picture, John. It was good to meet you to and stay at the Sewerby Hall event. I enjoyed it pretty much. I'm still tired and overloaded with good impressions Smile

Re: Interested in Roman Riding? - John Conyard - 09-03-2010

I've just watched the footage Byron, cheers. Harry fell off so gracefully Smile

Jurjen, your cavalry will take over the continent. Big Grin

Re: Interested in Roman Riding? - Gaius Julius Caesar - 09-03-2010

Yes, he managed it in slow motion and with style!! Smile Definate future star there!

Re: Interested in Roman Riding? - Robert - 09-06-2010

Do not worry, Jurjen, there has been in interesting development with the "Gromeinen" (they're out!), so you detachment may well ride again! One day you will have a horse of your own, for sure. I really appreciate the attitude of Comitatus, by the way, they do spread knowledge and joy to all comers. Thanks lads!

Re: Interested in Roman Riding? - John Conyard - 09-06-2010

Roman riding is a bit of a passion!

I think it was good for Jurjen to see how we organise the horses, train them, run the public shows etc. And it was good for us to have his perspective.

All good stuff.

Re: Interested in Roman Riding? - Ammianus - 09-06-2010

Quote:I really appreciate the attitude of Comitatus, by the way, they do spread knowledge and joy to all comers. Thanks lads!

*Cough* Ahem, and ladies... Big Grin

[attachment=0:3f34t894]<!-- ia0 IMG_4353 - Copy.JPG<!-- ia0 [/attachment:3f34t894]

Seeing how far roman riding has developed here in Britain it would be nice to see more expanding in Europe. Jurjen, good luck!