RomanArmyTalk
Early greek kopis reconstruction - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Reenactment (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Greek Re-Enactment & Reconstruction (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=32)
+--- Thread: Early greek kopis reconstruction (/showthread.php?tid=15532)

Pages: 1 2

Early greek kopis reconstruction - Lýsandros - 07-27-2009

Greetings folks,

From the very first moment when I have decided to start with ancient greek reenactment, I knew I wanted to wield a kopis. This particular weapon was simply too strong to resist. Seeing that almost all kopis reconstructions I have seen for sale were those bulky falcatoid swords, I have decided it was a good time someone attempted to reconstruct an earlier kopis, which is a bit longer and way more slender. We have achieved this goal and as promised in the marketplace section, here is the thread about it:

This piece caught my attention, its from National Archeological Museum in Athens (as pointed out by Stefanos), I could not find any better picture, sorry:

[Image: 8efea614s10kopis.jpg]

The sword seems to be cast from bronze and then forged. As we lack the means to cast it, we have decided to take this as a template, but to move our reconstruction few years later, so that we could go for a blade made of steel and a composite handle, instead of a cast one.

We were a bit stuck on the handle selection and here are the versions that were considered:

[Image: img0131g.jpg]

A: is the ideal reconstruction of the handle. As i was limited by the final price of 800 euro, we could not go for the bird-shaped handle, which would have to be manually crafted, as casting was not an option.

B (right - as seen, not turned to the correct position upside down): the pommel is taken from a vase paintingand the handle would be assembled as a modern knife - this version was refused due to lacking historical evidence

B (left): same as the above but the handle will be reconstructed according to the original A - only the pommelis swapped to a different and more affordable version (thats the one we have decided for)

C: is a reconstruction of a handle from a vase painting - I was considering this one as well, but i have refused it in the end as it looked too common (too knivish) to me

D: the crossguard and the blade are made from one piece - this is the case in many falcata's from spain - this version was refused as there was no evidence such thing was done with kopis' in greece

So in the end, the blade will be taken from original (together with the slightly curved crossguard) and the handle will be replaced with version B (left).

After the decision was made, it took my friend Robert two weeks to handcraft the set. The blade is made from steel, the handle from olive wood with brass plating (should have been bronze,
i know Smile ) and copper detailing. The scabbard is also made from olive wood bound in leather, with brass fittings and copper decoration.

It is a fully functional sword and I can tell you the design of greek kopis is truly excellent! Ive held a lot of swords in my life, but this has to be the best slashing/cutting weapon Ive ever got to use.

You can find the pictures of the finished weapon below:

Overview picture of the weapon:
[Image: img1612x.jpg]

Close-up on the handle and scabbard top:
[Image: img1609x.jpg]

Point of the scabbard (front):
[Image: img1602x.jpg]

Point of the scabbard (back):
[Image: img1604x.jpg]

Feel free to comment Smile

Re: Early greek kopis reconstruction - Phalanx300 - 07-27-2009

A very nice sword, I'm not really that much into Kopis swords but this one looks excellent. Tongue

Is there perhaps also a picture of the entire sword?

Re: Early greek kopis reconstruction - Lýsandros - 07-28-2009

Sure, here you go:

[Image: img1616x.jpg]

Re: Early greek kopis reconstruction - Giannis K. Hoplite - 07-28-2009

Wow! Good job,excellent.
Just since you mentioned it,i think that there has actually been fond a kopis with the cross guard one piece with the blade. the handle looked "knivish" as you put it and John Piscopo owned it in his collection. it must have been posted somehwere in the Sword Forum.
So the cost of this is 800 euros? And how long is it?
Oh,and of course,the original you posted was not bronze but iron.
Khaire
Giannis

Re: Early greek kopis reconstruction - Lýsandros - 07-29-2009

Yes, the final cost was 800 euro. I will give you the precise length during the weekend, when I get home from Prague.

Re: Early greek kopis reconstruction - Kineas - 07-31-2009

Superb!

Nice reconstruction--nice rivets!

Re: Early greek kopis reconstruction - Lýsandros - 07-31-2009

So.. I have arrived at last! And I have done all the measurements for you, my dear friend Giannis Smile The sword is 80cm sheathed in the scabbard, 78cm when unsheated. The blade itself is 62cm long.
The length is very close to that of the original, as it can be easily estimated from the lenght of the handle, which should be slightly longer than an average hand holding it. Hope you get what I mean, I am not that good at explaining things Smile

Re: Early greek kopis reconstruction - Kineas - 07-31-2009

As this is very close to my ideal of the kopis, where is the balance? Is it just slightly blade heavy, or very blade heavy?

Re: Early greek kopis reconstruction - Lýsandros - 08-01-2009

The balance point is around 10cm from the "crossguard", which makes the sword definitely more blade heavy than all of my 15th century one handers. It is not too heavy though, it still makes for a comfortable handling and holding, without making you feel the weight of the blade too much. You can definitely feel the unmatched slashing power when you swing with it, though. It was just an experiment, but I really like this sword, it must have been very effective back then.

Re: Early greek kopis reconstruction - Giannis K. Hoplite - 08-08-2009

Lysandros,thanks for giving the measurements.It looks like an interesting sword! Perhaps something you would be interested to know, these swords were not single edged as many believe. They were something like 3/4 edged,since the blade on the top was edged all around like a normal xiphos. This also reduces the weight since the blade becomes thinner in all the edge.
Khaire
Giannis

Re: Early greek kopis reconstruction - Lýsandros - 08-08-2009

Interesting, how do we know that? Can you please provide any reference? If its true, it is very similar to several saber types from medieval hungary. The doubled edge would mean a change of balance that would give this weapon a completely different usage and fighting style possibilities. Intriguing.

Re: Early greek kopis reconstruction - Giannis K. Hoplite - 08-11-2009

Can you do a search about the iberean falcata in the greek part of the forum? There must be photos in one thread and at least in these swords,that are sometimes identical to the greek kopis,the blade was double edged on the top.
Khaire
Giannis

Re: Early greek kopis reconstruction - KRD - 08-19-2009

Great job on the reconstruction Lysandros! Giannis K. Hoplite is correct re: the double edge of the kopis. It (upper edge) usually runs approx 5 cm from the tip of the blade. It helped when stabbing. The beautiful kopis (bird-shaped handle) from the National Museum in Athens is, if I am not mistaken, 4th c. BC and made of iron not bronze.

K

Re: Early greek kopis reconstruction - Lýsandros - 08-19-2009

It must have belonged to a very influential man, I can imagine. I am very sad that I did not have a chance to visit the museum myself, but it is definitely in the long term plan. Is there any more information about it?

Re: Early greek kopis reconstruction - KRD - 08-20-2009

Yep, have more info on that if you want it. I have all the measurements for the kopis in question... unfortunately no accurate weight, though I can say it is beautifully weighted and perfectly balanced as you'd imagine.