RomanArmyTalk
Rubicon - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Recreational Arena (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=18)
+--- Thread: Rubicon (/showthread.php?tid=155)

Pages: 1 2

Rubicon - Gaius Decius Aquilius - 06-19-2003

I finally talked the wife into giving up her old 93 Mazda pickup. She told me she wanted a Jeep, so I went to the Jeep dealership yesterday. I looked around and was approached by the usual salesperson, this one named Melanie or something. I was particularly intersted in seeing the new Rubicon, just because of the name. I was shown one ($31,000 minus the promotional Limited Time Rebate) and told it was the Extreme Off-Road 4x4 Hardcore verson of the Jeep Wrangler. I told her I was at the dealership because of the name. She told me she didnt know what it meant. So I gave her the two drachma rundown on Julius Caesar, and making the (correct) assumption that she was a product of the New Mexico school system, had never heard of of Caesar or the Roman Empire. She said she would tell future customers, and thanks. I got this mental image of Russell Crowe in his gladiator gear fording a river in a Rubicon with a determined look on his face. I asked Melanie(?) if the dealership was interested in filming a commercial with a Rubicon full of the local IX Hispania storming up and down the countryside in armor complete with standard. She went to the boss and after some discussion said they would get back to me.<br>
<br>
For those of you who are into advertising, here's your big break...<br>
<br>
Gaius Aquilius<br>
Who wants a red one with air conditioner, Dana 44 axles and a removable hardtop.<br>
<br>
<p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://pub45.ezboard.com/bromanarmytalk.showUserPublicProfile?gid=gaiusdeciusaquilius@romanarmytalk>Gaius Decius Aquilius</A> at: 6/19/03 9:33 pm<br></i>

Re: Rubicon - Praefectusclassis - 06-19-2003

Brilliant!<br>
Pity you need an unnamed legio XIII, but who's counting? There's a beautiful painting by Conolly of this legion crossing the bridge across the Rubico. <p>Greets<br>
<br>
Jasper</p><i></i>

Re: Rubicon - Gaius Decius Aquilius - 06-19-2003

Jasper,<br>
All the more reason for Dan Peterson to fire up Deepeeka to start cranking out Montefortinos... cant be incorrect in the commercial. I had the page open to Peter Conolly's painting when I wrote the above post, by the way...<br>
<br>
Gaius Aquilius<br>
Who will go back to the dealership and ask when the Jeep Praetorian edition will be comming out. <p></p><i></i>

The Rubicon - scythius - 06-19-2003

Avete, omnes!<br>
<br>
Gaius Aquilius wrote:<br>
"Who will go back to the dealership and ask when the Jeep Praetorian edition will be comming out. "<br>
<br>
Ha!<br>
<br>
The Praetorian Edition - I am assuming this will be for ferrying senator's wives around - and *not* for actual **driving**<br>
<br>
<wink!><br>
<br>
Scithius<br>
Decanus~CON~I<br>
LEG IX HSPA - COH III EXPG - CEN I HIB<br>
<br>
<p></p><i></i>

Re: The Rubicon - Gaius Decius Aquilius - 06-19-2003

The Praetorian edition, I am told, will be purple, have gold trim, plush upholstery, and will sulk, locking its self in four wheel drive, if not given a donative on a regular basis.<br>
<br>
Gaius <p></p><i></i>

Re: The Rubicon - Praefectusclassis - 06-20-2003

More likely, if not given a donative on regular basis, it will await an opportunity to run you over, kidnap your wife and drive away to a new owner who will give it donatives. <p>Greets<br>
<br>
Jasper</p><i></i>

Re: The Rubicon - Caius Fabius - 06-20-2003

Peter Connolly said (July of 2002) that the "Rubicon" painting is inaccurate, in the light of his further studies on pila and weapons and needs to be redone, when he can find the time... <p>"Just before class started, I looked in the big book where all the world's history is written, and it said...." Neil J. Hackett, PhD ancient history, professor OSU, 1987</p><i></i>

Re: The Rubicon - Anonymous - 06-20-2003

I remember a very old commercial for Lancia automobiles that stated that if Caesar was alive, he would drive a Lancia..<br>
At that time Lancia built a nasty little bombshell called the Aurelia B-20.<br>
2,5 liter V6, 118 HP, 1.100 kilograms in weight, top speed of 185 kmh.<br>
In 1955...<br>
<p></p><i></i>

The Montefortinos are coming! - Daniel S Peterson - 06-20-2003

Gaius, your prayers may be answered. Out of the blue, the elder statesman of Deepeeka, CAPT Agarwal, called me this morning to discuss progress on upcoming Trojan War and Macodonian lines, and said he would buy the bronze sheet! If this occurs, I will personally oversee the production of both simple Casarean, and fancy roped edged Punic War era Montefortino helmets.. this coming September in India (if not summoned to Iraq in the meantime).<br>
<br>
Dan <p></p><i></i>

Re: The Montefortinos are coming! - Gaius Decius Aquilius - 06-20-2003

YES!<br>
<br>
And I must get a plume color that matches the Jeep! I will buy one of each helmet. At least.<br>
<br>
Gaius<br>
Who will buy a libation for the Gods and drink it watching videos of questionable artistic merit. <p></p><i></i>

montefortino - John Maddox Roberts - 06-20-2003

One of them roped-edge Montefortinos has my name on it. Dibs. <p></p><i></i>

Re: Rubicon - Uwe Bahr - 02-07-2007

Avete omnes,

Jasper wrote

Quote:There's a beautiful painting by Conolly of this legion crossing the bridge across the Rubico.

I know and have all relevant books of Connolly but don't know that very picture. Could somebody enlighten me - or -pleeeeeze Tongue P P - post or send the picture?

Greets - Uwe

Re: Rubicon - Graham Sumner - 02-07-2007

Uwe

The painting is in 'Warfare in the Ancient World' Edited by General Sir John Hackett (1989)

Graham.

Re: Rubicon - Uwe Bahr - 02-08-2007

Thank You, Graham,

can You recommend this book and does it have have many illustrations by Connolly?

At least I don't know the Rubicon-picture and also the cover illustration (looks like Assyrian riders in a siege battle) is completely new for me.

Greets - Uwe

Re: Rubicon - Praefectusclassis - 02-08-2007

Hi Uwe,
It has a number of C's illustrations, ten or so. The chapters are all written by academics, so it's quite high level. And the introduction is indeed by General Sir John Hackett, former brigadier of 4th Parachute Brigade at Arnhem!