RomanArmyTalk
Customizing my helmet - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Reenactment (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Roman Re-Enactment & Reconstruction (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Thread: Customizing my helmet (/showthread.php?tid=15296)

Customizing my helmet - tiberivs - 06-11-2009

My helmet need something, and i try to give it a personal touch.
i try to use cold enamelles ware

Re: Customizing my helmet - LUCIUS ALFENUS AVITIANUS - 06-11-2009

A little risky...perhaps? Big Grin

Re: Customizing my helmet - tiberivs - 06-11-2009

it is, but sometimes you have to risk it. otherwise it cost me only a new helmet.

Re: Customizing my helmet - pvblivs cordvs - 06-13-2009

Saw it before you got home. Curious of how it's going to look for real
Cheers,
Wim van Broekhoven, CORBVLO

Re: Customizing my helmet - tiberivs - 06-13-2009

Quote:Saw it before you got home. Curious of how it's going to look for real
Cheers,
Wim van Broekhoven, CORBVLO

You see it tomorrow in Arnhem by the show, i will bring it along

Re: Customizing my helmet - hispano - 06-18-2009

I really like your work because I've had to look for the same solution for the "pierced metals" (can't translate it) in the celtiberian daggers. In these if you don't put anything under you would see the dagger's blade through the holes, or if it is in the handel the sandwhiche's wood. If I paint the wood it isn't at the same height, so I chose to put coloured leather. You can see the result in these dagger's from La Osera (Avila, Spain) and Numancia (Soria, Spain) necropolis. Not everyone accepts this solution, but I think that the holes are to illuminate and give a decorative effect.

Same thing happens with the roman belts' pierced plates from republican age, I've seen some people put metal in them, but I think that their objective is to leave the belt's colour visible.

I think your solution is very adequate and they probably used it as you have in metal works, but because it is organic there are no rests left.

[Image: celtiberiandagger2.th.jpg]
[Image: celtiberiandagger3.th.jpg]
[Image: celtiberiandagger4.th.jpg]
[Image: celtiberiandagger1.th.jpg]

Re: Customizing my helmet - Marcus Mummius - 06-18-2009

Hi José, Enamel isn't an organical material :wink:

I know of several helmets that have enamel preserved in rivet cups, but no examples of helmets with large zones of enamel. I do not think traces of enamel were found on Italic D helmets. But perhaps you know of evidence that I haven't heard of, Gerard?

Vale

Re: Customizing my helmet - Robert Vermaat - 06-23-2009

I just saw the helmet up close tonight and I must say that for a first try, it looks impressive. Two pictures as promised:

[Image: PICT0796.jpg]

[Image: PICT0797.jpg]

Re: Customizing my helmet - hispano - 06-24-2009

Quote:Hi José, Enamel isn't an organical material :wink:

Now I understand, I supposed enamel is leather because it gives the same visual impression, and now I searched for the translation, and of course it is not organic :oops: Luckily for me I'm not cyborg with sinthetyc skin

Re: Customizing my helmet - Marcus Mummius - 06-24-2009

Quote:
Marcus Mummius:2e86iq57 Wrote:Hi José, Enamel isn't an organical material :wink:

Now I understand, I supposed enamel is leather because it gives the same visual impression, and now I searched for the translation, and of course it is not organic :oops: Luckily for me I'm not cyborg with sinthetyc skin

No problem, glad I could help :wink: