RomanArmyTalk
The Saxon Shore - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Research Arena (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: References & Reviews (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: The Saxon Shore (/showthread.php?tid=15144)

The Saxon Shore - mcbishop - 05-15-2009

One of the consequences of running (and doing the recce for) a Saxon Shore tour for Andante Travels a while back was that I ended up with a lot of stuff rattling around on disc, on my bookshelves, and in my head that needed something doing with it. So, following the example of Per Lineam Valli, I have now created In Litore Saxonico which does pretty much the same thing but with the Saxon Shore, rather than with Hadrian's Wall. There you will find a Google Earth file (with all the usual MAGIC, PastScape, and RomanBritain.org goodness), Google Maps and Microsoft Virtual Earth links, and images and links all relevant to the topic. Actually, 'have now created' makes it sound like I've only just done it - in truth I did it ages ago but have only now got around to spending a couple of hours finishing it off! Make of it what you will.

Mike Bishop

Re: The Saxon Shore - Dan from Britannia - 05-16-2009

Excellent source material... nice to see it all under one roof, so to speak.

Quite a few of our events have been (and are still) in these areas [size=85:1jn7j735][We've worked at Pevensey, Burgh Castle, Brancaster, Reculver, & Richborough, I suppose you can sort of count Dover, even though it's under the town now and Brancaster's just a few gentle rolling banks... sadly we'd need scuba diving gear to have appeared at Felixstowe's 'Walton Castle' structure :lol: and Othona is now a Church & bird sanctuary], [/size]I'll let my lads know about this link, cheers.

On the subject of costal defences-
As a designer that uses Photoshop a fair bit, I have had a play with how I viewed Dover's surviving pharos (when new)... let me know how wrong/right I am:

Dan.

Re: The Saxon Shore - mcbishop - 05-16-2009

Quote:Quite a few of our events have been (and are still) in these areas [size=85][We've worked at Pevensey, Burgh Castle, Brancaster, Reculver, & Richborough, I suppose you can sort of count Dover, even though it's under the town now and Brancaster's just a few gentle rolling banks... sadly we'd need scuba diving gear to have appeared at Felixstowe's 'Walton Castle' structure :lol: .

Doable in wellies and a rowing boat at low tide annually, it would seem. Not much room for an audience though ;-) )

Quote:On the subject of costal defences-
As a designer that uses Photoshop a fair bit, I have had a play with how I viewed Dover's surviving pharos (when new)... let me know how wrong/right I am:

If you follow the Johnson reconstruction in Maxfield's The Saxon Shore A Handbook (Fig.53) it needs to be stepped and octagonal at each stage/window. As for the top, your guess is as good as anybody else's! Not sure if the twin (on Western Heights) would be in view from that angle. Last time I saw a log stack that neat it was in Switzerland.

Mike Bishop

Re: The Saxon Shore - Dan from Britannia - 05-16-2009

Cheers, points taken, I'll amend the pic when I've next got the time.

Quote:Last time I saw a log stack that neat it was in Switzerland.

:lol: :lol: Gem!

Re: The Saxon Shore - Medicus matt - 05-18-2009

Mike, the site is making IE crash every time I try to view it.

Re: The Saxon Shore - mcbishop - 05-18-2009

Quote:Mike, the site is making IE crash every time I try to view it.

Hmm, I take it you're using IE 7? I just fired up windoze in a virtual machine and tried it and it worked fine until I clicked on Atlas and then it died; works without complaint on other browsers (Firefox, Chrome/Chromium, Opera, Konqueror, Safari etc etc) on both XP and Linux so I have to suspect that embedded Google Map on the Atlas page. Rats! Thanks for letting me know; I'll look into it and see if I can come up with a workaround.

Mike Bishop

Re: The Saxon Shore - Robert Vermaat - 05-22-2009

Hi Mike,
Quote:Last time I saw a log stack that neat it was in Switzerland.
Then you haven't been around here lately. Why not a neat stack? These guys had time on their hands...

Re: The Saxon Shore - mcbishop - 05-23-2009

Quote:Mike, the site is making IE crash every time I try to view it.

Okay, I've had a good look at this and it appears to be caused by a bug in a (possibly the most) recent version of Internet Exploder 7. If you have Windoze Update turned on it should replace IE7 with IE8 which, my brief experiments suggest, runs faultlessly with In Litore Saxonico (and indeed Per Lineam Valli which had also started to crash with the latest version of IE7 - it never used to). I also ran the latest versions of Firefox, Opera, Chrome, and Safari on Windoze at the same time and all performed well with both sites, as do Konqueror, Firefox, Opera, Chromium and Safari on Linux (the last two using the Wine compatability layer - because Wine Is Not an Emulator - but they still worked).

So, the short answer is to allow Windoze to upgrade you to IE8. If you don't want to do that, use another (more standards-compliant) browser ;-) )

Mike Bishop