RomanArmyTalk
Achaemenid elite units - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Research Arena (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Greek Military History & Archaeology (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: Achaemenid elite units (/showthread.php?tid=14832)

Pages: 1 2

Achaemenid elite units - Artabanos - 03-22-2009

Hello

I would like to present my newest artwork to the enthusiast here at RAT.

Displayed are the most elite units of the Achaemenid Empire, the heavy infantry and the heavy cavalry. They might look overly well equipped, but I think I have enough photos archeological material in my collection to back up most of what is displayed. I had made artworks of both units in the past, but you Gentlemen here at the forum contributed to provide enough material to correct some of the unknown details in my previous works.
I'm obviously a supporter of the "Persian Elite Army" fraction and think it’s a real shame that Persians are nearly always displayed as a mass-force than a quality-force. I want to contribute to change this impression with my work.

The model for the cavalrymen is the sarcophagus found in Turkey, while the heavy infantry Immortal is based on certain seals. I will go into the details on request later.

I hope you enjoy this somewhat late Noruz present of mine:

[Image: my.php?image=persianwarriors.jpg]

[Image: persianwarriors.th.jpg]

Re: Achaemenid elite units - hoplite14gr - 03-24-2009

Most people think that the cavalry was well equiped as you depict.

The question is the spearman. They seem to have failed making an impression on the phalanx.
Although if we accept Plutarch's account for Kunaxa (life of Artaxerxes) these type of troops could have very well repulsed Cyrus heavy cavalry.

What are the sources for the infantry man?

Kind regards

Re: Achaemenid elite units - Artabanos - 03-24-2009

@hoplite14gr

My Cavalryman is "super heavy" for the Achaemenid period due to the left arm ring armor, the leg protection and the breast armor of the horse. These are details which are still deemed impossible for most people.

The Persian army was mainly a cavalry force, Xenophon mentions that after the Persians became powerful under Cyrus' rule they switched from an infantry force to a Cavalry one, like their Median cousins.
Beside the light infantry, the bowman displayed in Greek art, there was a heavy infantry unit, those known as the Immortals. This force was the descendant of the old, early Cyrus period infantry.
They had a reputation at that time and Xerxes thought that they were at least equivalent to the Spartan Hoplites; at that point Persians had already fought against Hoplite armies.

However I think the reason they didn’t have a great impression on the Greeks was that they were a guard force of the king, their relatively low number and the point that Greek hoplites were even heavier armored than the Immortals. As visible my heavy infantrymen has no helmet, although a Kuban type helmet was likely worn under the Karbysia.

As said it is mainly modeled on two seals and the Immortals on the Alexander sarcophagus/mosaic. The shield was a problem but I decided to use this type of shield and not the Persepolis-type because it’s displayed in Greek art and Xenophon as Greek said that the early heavy Persian infantry used the "common shield-type the Persians always use". The unique way the Sagaris battle-axe is carried was discovered thanks to those seals and it was at least in use by the early Persian armies. The neck guard is based partly on those seals and on a bust an Iranic warrior from an unknown period (but with Karbysia), but it could be the explanation for not using a helmet.

regards

Re: Achaemenid elite units - MeinPanzer - 03-25-2009

It's nice to see the results after the discussion that went on relating to this topic before. I have a few comments and questions.

You've depicted the shoulder pieces on the cavalryman's cuirass as being separate, but on the sarcophagus and another seal depicting an almost identically-equipped cavalryman they are clearly shown as being an extension continuous with the rest of the cuirass.

I don't really see much, if any, of the high collar protecting the back of the neck which is so prominent on both of the above sources.

Is the laminated arm armour supposed to be iron? If so, I highly doubt that iron armour of that sort, not bronze, would have been worn during the reign of the Achaemenid empire, if it was worn at all.

Quote:@hoplite14gr

My Cavalryman is "super heavy" for the Achaemenid period due to the left arm ring armor, the leg protection and the breast armor of the horse. These are details which are still deemed impossible for most people.

Only the laminated arm armour is doubtful (for the same reasons mentioned in the previous thread); the other two seem quite certain.

Quote:As said it is mainly modeled on two seals and the Immortals on the Alexander sarcophagus/mosaic.

Which figures on the Alexander sarcophagus are Immortals and how have they been identified as such?

Quote:The neck guard is based partly on those seals and on a bust an Iranic warrior from an unknown period (but with Karbysia), but it could be the explanation for not using a helmet.

You never elucidated your mention of that bust in the last thread. Where was it found? Do you have any references for it?

Re: Achaemenid elite units - Artabanos - 03-25-2009

@MeinPanzer

Good questions.

Quote:You've depicted the shoulder pieces on the cavalryman's cuirass as being separate, but on the sarcophagus and another seal depicting an almost identically-equipped cavalryman they are clearly shown as being an extension continuous with the rest of the cuirass.

Could you please show me that seal? The reason why they are separate is because it would be unlikely that they would deform that much during the attack as displayed on the sarcophagus. If it is connected to the cuirass then the connecting method would have to be flexible. But I agree, it would also be possible that they are connected, but it’s unfortunately not visible for be to reconstruct it.
I think the reason why the armor of the cavalrymen of sarcophagus looks so strange is because the color is washed away and that he wears a short, wide shirt.

Quote:I don't really see much, if any, of the high collar protecting the back of the neck which is so prominent on both of the above sources.

Well I wanted it to be somewhat light weight and it’s due to the low resolution of the copy posted here. Maybe the seal could give me a new impression so that I would correct it in some future project.

[img]Is%20the%20laminated%20arm%20armour%20supposed%20to%20be%20iron?%20If%20so,%20I%20highly%20doubt%20that%20iron%20armour%20of%20that%20sort,%20not%20bronze,%20would%20have%20been%20worn%20during%20the%20reign%20of%20the%20Achaemenid%20empire,%20if%20it%20was%20worn%20at%20all.[/img]

Well this was also my opinion before I saw the iron spangenhelmet found around Sardis. That’s why I came to the conclusion that it was in use to some extend during the Achaemenid period. I chose it for the left-arm protection.

Quote:Only the laminated arm armour is doubtful (for the same reasons mentioned in the previous thread); the other two seem quite certain.

Well I will post a seal here in which the Persian cavalrymen (one of those based in the western part of the empire) use his left arm for the attack, which is very rare. There something is visible, which is together with the sources very likely an arm ring/laminated armor.

Quote:Which figures on the Alexander sarcophagus are Immortals and how have they been identified as such?

Well there is only one Persian on the Sarcophagus who carries a cuirass and I think only the Persian heavy infantry wore cuirasses. Nearly the same one are displayed at Issus, protecting the king. That’s why I'm very confident that in both cases the Immortals are displayed.

Quote:You never elucidated your mention of that bust in the last thread. Where was it found? Do you have any references for it?

Ok I said I will post it when I open this thread, I just hope no one fells offended because of copyright reasons.

Re: Achaemenid elite units - MeinPanzer - 03-25-2009

Quote:@MeinPanzer

Good questions.

Quote:Could you please show me that seal? The reason why they are separate is because it would be unlikely that they would deform that much during the attack as displayed on the sarcophagus. If it is connected to the cuirass then the connecting method would have to be flexible. But I agree, it would also be possible that they are connected, but it’s unfortunately not visible for be to reconstruct it.

There are two others, actually, both of which display the same armour with the same sort of collar. The only sources I know which illustrate them are Duncan Head's Achaemenid Persian Montvert title (Fig. 24a) and the article "A New Painted Graeco-Persian Sarcophagus from Can" by Nurten Sevinc, Reyhan Korpe, Musa Tombul, Charles Brian Rose, Donna Strahan, Henrike Kiesewetter, and John Wallrodt in Studia Troica 11, 2001, pp. 383-420.

Quote:I think the reason why the armor of the cavalrymen of sarcophagus looks so strange is because the color is washed away and that he wears a short, wide shirt.

Actually, much of the paint still remains on his cuirass. It was painted red with a thick white belt separating the body of the cuirass from the pteruges and a white waistband running around the body halfway between the belt and the arms. The upper row of pteruges are all white, while the lower row alternate from red to white.

Quote:Well I wanted it to be somewhat light weight and it’s due to the low resolution of the copy posted here. Maybe the seal could give me a new impression so that I would correct it in some future project.

You wanted the cuirass to be light weight? But I thought these were supposed to be the heaviest of the heavy elite troops? The two seals mentioned above both show collars of the same size and shape as shown on the sarcophagus.

Quote:Well this was also my opinion before I saw the iron spangenhelmet found around Sardis. That’s why I came to the conclusion that it was in use to some extend during the Achaemenid period. I chose it for the left-arm protection.

The spangenhelm is an anomaly, and perhaps even an anachronistic intrusion. I would not take it as any indication of the widespread use of iron. Even so, making a helmet out of iron is one thing, but making the full laminated armour for the arm would require much more skill and would be much more expensive.

Quote:Well I will post a seal here in which the Persian cavalrymen (one of those based in the western part of the empire) use his left arm for the attack, which is very rare. There something is visible, which is together with the sources very likely an arm ring/laminated armor.

He's probably depicted using his left arm because this was a seal which would have been flipped when an impression was made, so that he would be using his right arm in the final image. I don't think those lines indicate any kind of armour - they're almost certainly just folds in the sleeve, like those visible on the pantleg.

Quote:Well there is only one Persian on the Sarcophagus who carries a cuirass and I think only the Persian heavy infantry wore cuirasses. Nearly the same one are displayed at Issus, protecting the king. That’s why I'm very confident that in both cases the Immortals are displayed.

Why do you think A) that only heavy infantry wore cuirasses and B) that the Immortals could be the only heavy infantry to wear cuirasses? All the Alexander mosaic shows us is that the guards accompanying the king in his chariot wore cuirasses and that some cavalry did as well. It gives us no indication of whether the Immortals wore such cuirasses or not, since no Persian infantry are depicted wearing armour on the mosaic. The figure on the Alexander sarcophagus is "nearly the same" as the figures on the Alexander mosaic insofar as they both wear tube-and-yoke cuirasses and are dressed like Persians, but how else would you expect a Persian wearing a cuirass to appear?

Quote:Ok I said I will post it when I open this thread, I just hope no one fells offended because of copyright reasons.

Copyrights are no concern because you're not trying to make a profit off of showing this. Just posting an image from a book is fine as long as you're not selling anything. I thought this might have been what you were referring to. This is a head from the monumental sculptures found during excavations in the Kushan palace at Khalchayan dating to the 1st c. AD and either depicts a late Saka cataphract or a Yuezhi cataphract, depending on how you interpret the scene. It is several centuries removed from the time of the Achaemenid Persians. On top of this, it also shows a type of cataphract armour that was adapted by nomadic tribes from Chinese sources and transferred to Central Asia in the 3rd c. BC, where it was changes slightly into the form seen here, and so has no connection whatsoever to Iranian armour types - contemporary depictions of Parthian cataphracts do not show them wearing cuirasses with high collars. Also, he is not wearing a kyrbasia but a segmented helmet, which also happens to be of Chinese origin.

So this sculpture should not be drawn on at all when reconstructing Achaemenid heavy cavalrymen, who employed no such armour.

Re: Achaemenid elite units - Artabanos - 03-26-2009

@MeinPanzer

Quote:There are two others, actually, both of which display the
same armor with the same sort of collar. The only sources I know which illustrate
them are Duncan Head's Achaemenid Persian Montvert title (Fig. 24a) and the article "A New
Painted Graeco-Persian Sarcophagus from Can" by Nurten Sevinc, Reyhan Korpe, Musa Tombul, Charles
Brian Rose, Donna Strahan, Henrike Kiesewetter,
and John Wallrodt in Studia Troica 11, 2001, pp. 383-420.

Well thanks; I have to wait for this material to get more widespread.

Quote:Actually, much of the paint still remains on his cuirass. It was painted red with
a thick white belt separating the body of the cuirass from the pteruges and a white waistband
running around the body halfway between the belt and the arms. The upper row of pteruges
are all white, while the lower row alternate from red to white.

Interesting, a red cuirass is also carried by the heavy infantry on the Alexander mosaic.

Quote:You wanted the cuirass to be light weight? But I thought these were supposed to be the
heaviest of the heavy elite troops? The two seals mentioned above both show collars of the same
size and shape as shown on the sarcophagus.

No, I wanted the high collar to be rather light-weight. And if there are two seals displaying this type of
Cavalrymen beside the sarcophagus,
things become even more interesting for me.

Quote:The spangenhelm is an anomaly, and perhaps even an anachronistic intrusion. I would
not take it as any indication of the widespread use of iron. Even so, making a helmet out of iron
is one thing, but making the full laminated armour for the arm would require much more skill and
would be much more expensive.

The Spangenhelmet is most likely made of iron that was cold-formed from a sheet of iron or steel (don’t
know how much carbon was in it. It was definitely no cast which means that the rings needed would have
been cold-formed the same way and I see no more difficulty in doing that than forming the pieces
necessary for a Spangenhelmet. It’s also clear that the corrosion ob iron metal is much stronger than
copper-alloy metals. The price would also be not very much more expensive as I left it in the shadow to what extend
the upper-arm is protected.
But I agree that more similar findings are needed to get an idea of the iron/steel-usage in
that early period, high-temperature ovens or iron from metroits, that helmet raises a few question if there is
no anachronistic problem.

Quote:He's probably depicted using his left arm because this was a seal which
would have been flipped when an impression was made, so that he would be
using his right arm in the final image. I don't think those lines indicate any kind of armour -
they're almost certainly just folds in the sleeve, like those visible on the pantleg.

Yes but even if it is flipped the perspective is unusual in Persian art which seems to favor the perspective
as on the sarqophagus. The folds of the arm are radial while those of the legs are vertical, that’s why it doesn’t,
seems like folds for the legs (these would also have to be radial/horizontal). Whether its folds for the arm or armor,
remains open, I went, with some other reasons in mind, for the armor interpretation.

Code:
Why do you think A) that only heavy infantry wore cuirasses and B) that the Immortals
could be the only heavy infantry to wear cuirasses?

Because at least for the Persian wars period the Persian army was a cavalry force with only one
standing/professional heavy infantry unit. The
infantry army was mainly made up by bowman with the immortals being the only large heavy infantry unit.
I also should have better said
heavy scale metal armor cuirasses since light cuirasses could have been used by some light-infantry units.

Quote:All the Alexander mosaic shows us is that the guards accompanying the king in his
chariot wore cuirasses and that some cavalry did as well. It gives us no indication
of whether the Immortals wore such cuirasses or not, since no Persian infantry are
depicted wearing armour on the mosaic.

Well as I see it there is infantry behind the royal chariot and one wearing a red and heavy cuirass. These
infantrymen were among the bodyguards of the king and therefore almost certainly at least a detachment
of the Immortals. But it seems you think its cavalrymen behind the king.

Quote:The figure on the Alexander sarcophagus is "nearly the same" as the figures on the Alexander
mosaic insofar as they both wear tube-and-yoke cuirasses and are dressed like Persians, but how else
would you expect a Persian wearing a cuirass to appear?

There is a fundamental difference in the way I think the Persian army was made of I think. There
is no proof that there was any standing Iranic heavy infantry unit in the Persian army pre-~400BC beside the
Immortals which were among the kings bodyguards. So if this was the case and if its infantry displayed in the
Alexander mosaic, the Persian of the Alexander sarcophagus should be an Immortal as his tight trousers were typical
for the original Persian heavy infantry. But it’s possible that he is from one of the new formed infantry unit/s from the
late Achaemenid period. However the Immortals, the kings bodyguards, the most prestigious Iranic infantry unit, is much more
Likely to be displayed on such a sarcophagus than those of the late period. They fight with the Sagaris and wear heavy cuirasses,
but it’s those cuirasses which makes them unlikely to be some light infantry/bowman unit.

Quote:I thought this might have been what you were referring to. This is a head from the monumental sculptures found during
excavations in the Kushan palace at Khalchayan dating to the 1st c. AD and either depicts a late Saka cataphract or a Yuezhi
cataphract, depending on how you interpret the scene. It is several centuries removed from the time of the Achaemenid Persians.

Interesting, the source at which I found it said it was Parthian iirc. It was the Kyrbisia looking headwear which made me connecting it
with the Achaemenids. However the seal in which Persians in ceremonial cloths fighting Sakas/Scytians also seems to show some a neck-guard,
you may know which seal I mean.

Quote:On top of this, it also shows a type of cataphract armour that was adapted by nomadic tribes from Chinese sources and
transferred to Central Asia in the 3rd c. BC, where it was changes slightly into the form seen here, and so has no connection
whatsoever to Iranian armour types - contemporary depictions of Parthian cataphracts do not show them wearing cuirasses with
high collars. Also, he is not wearing a kyrbasia but a segmented helmet, which also happens to be of Chinese origin.

Well it would be really interesting if you could go somewhat in deep with this Chinese connection, at the moment the collars seem
to be from Iranic sources given the Sarcophagus and its early period. They first appear in Asia Minor and later in Transoxania which would be
a westward move. But I have to admit that my knowledge about Chinese armor is very poor. It seems to me that the concept of such large
collars, first appeared among Iranics and was further used by isolated Iranic people such as the Saka. It would also to some degree explain why the Persians seem to have deemed the helmet less important than other items.
Is there any chance you could tell and show me some material about Chinese armor and its impact on steppe peoples and that helmet which
appeared to me like a Kyrbisia?

Re: Achaemenid elite units - MeinPanzer - 03-26-2009

Quote:Interesting, a red cuirass is also carried by the heavy infantry on the Alexander mosaic.

It is interesting to note that like all three quilted red cuirasses worn by the men around the king, it is also has some details in white.

Quote:No, I wanted the high collar to be rather light-weight. And if there are two seals displaying this type of
Cavalrymen beside the sarcophagus,
things become even more interesting for me.

Why not depict a simple leather collar then? Surely that would not be too heavy

Quote:Yes but even if it is flipped the perspective is unusual in Persian art which seems to favor the perspective
as on the sarqophagus. The folds of the arm are radial while those of the legs are vertical, that’s why it doesn’t,
seems like folds for the legs (these would also have to be radial/horizontal). Whether its folds for the arm or armor,
remains open, I went, with some other reasons in mind, for the armor interpretation.

I think the difference in perpendicular versus horizontal folding comes down to the way garments fold at the arms and the legs.

Quote:Because at least for the Persian wars period the Persian army was a cavalry force with only one
standing/professional heavy infantry unit. The
infantry army was mainly made up by bowman with the immortals being the only large heavy infantry unit.
I also should have better said
heavy scale metal armor cuirasses since light cuirasses could have been used by some light-infantry units.

I think we are generally in agreement then. Infantrymen other than Immortals would have worn cuirasses, but probably just organic and not scale cuirasses.

Quote:Well as I see it there is infantry behind the royal chariot and one wearing a red and heavy cuirass. These
infantrymen were among the bodyguards of the king and therefore almost certainly at least a detachment
of the Immortals. But it seems you think its cavalrymen behind the king.

I always thought that that figure was a dismounted cavalryman and that his mount's head can be seen in front of him, but now when I look at it it seems that that horse may be one of the four drawing the chariot and that its head has simply been very awkwardly rendered. I think you may very well be right that he is an infantryman, in which case I would agree that this is evidence for the equipment of the Immortals.

Quote:There is a fundamental difference in the way I think the Persian army was made of I think. There
is no proof that there was any standing Iranic heavy infantry unit in the Persian army pre-~400BC beside the
Immortals which were among the kings bodyguards. So if this was the case and if its infantry displayed in the
Alexander mosaic, the Persian of the Alexander sarcophagus should be an Immortal as his tight trousers were typical
for the original Persian heavy infantry. But it’s possible that he is from one of the new formed infantry unit/s from the
late Achaemenid period. However the Immortals, the kings bodyguards, the most prestigious Iranic infantry unit, is much more
Likely to be displayed on such a sarcophagus than those of the late period. They fight with the Sagaris and wear heavy cuirasses,
but it’s those cuirasses which makes them unlikely to be some light infantry/bowman unit.

But he could have been a member of the Kardakes or some other infantry contingent. I simply think that we cannot take the fact that he is wearing a cuirass as any indication that he is necessarily an Immortal.

Quote:Interesting, the source at which I found it said it was Parthian iirc. It was the Kyrbisia looking headwear which made me connecting it
with the Achaemenids. However the seal in which Persians in ceremonial cloths fighting Sakas/Scytians also seems to show some a neck-guard,
you may know which seal I mean.

If you are referring to the seal which I am familiar with (two Persians face two Saka, all on foot, with the outermost of each group firing bows at the others while the innermost face each other in close combat), then the Saka are unarmoured and what you are mistaking for a collar is probably the hair sticking out under their caps.

Quote:Well it would be really interesting if you could go somewhat in deep with this Chinese connection, at the moment the collars seem
to be from Iranic sources given the Sarcophagus and its early period. They first appear in Asia Minor and later in Transoxania which would be
a westward move. But I have to admit that my knowledge about Chinese armor is very poor. It seems to me that the concept of such large
collars, first appeared among Iranics and was further used by isolated Iranic people such as the Saka. It would also to some degree explain why the Persians seem to have deemed the helmet less important than other items.

The two collar types are totally different. The Persian collars appear fairly late (circa the turn of the 4th c. BC, as far as I know) and seem to be found on organic cuirasses. They are high and flat, protecting only the back of the neck.

The Chinese collars first appear on charioteer armour in the 5th c. BC on cuirasses made of lacquered leather. Their collars are square-shaped with the front side, where the face is, missing, so that they cover the back and sides of the neck, and they are the same height the whole way round. In addition, this type of heavy leacquered leather cuirass is associated with a type of helmet likewise made of laquered leather plates of various shapes and sizes sewn together. We find a figurine from northwestern China of a figurine wearing a similar cuirass with a high collar and a similar helmet which seems to depict a barbarian dating to the 5th-3rd c. BC. Then we find a 4th-2nd c. BC bronze figurine almost identically equipped from Talas-tal northwest of the Tarim basin, and around the same time period a depiction of such armour being worn on an artefact from southern Siberia. After this we find many different examples well into the first centuries AD.

The collars on the Persian cuirasses, as I speculated in the last thread, seem to be exaggerated neck-protectors like we see on Greek tube-and-yoke cuirasses, and so I think the general form derives from Greek examples.

Quote:Is there any chance you could tell and show me some material about Chinese armor and its impact on steppe peoples and that helmet which
appeared to me like a Kyrbisia?

I don't think there's much published, and most of it is in Russian, but I can provide you with the citations if you'd like. This is a poorly-researched area in western archaeological and historical literature that needs to be filled, especially since this was the type of armour worn by the first true cataphracts to emerge in the world. If you want info on the Chinese types from which this armour seems to derive, you'd want to look primarily at the excavations of the remarkable tomb of the Marquis of Zeng at Suixian, in Hubei province. The best and most accessible source on this in English is probably Yang Hong's "Weapons in Ancient China." The excavations uncovered an incredible 12 identical suits of lacquered leather armour, including cuirasses with arm protection and helmets, as well as some jumbled horse armour including a chamfron. If you look at the general form of the helmet worn by the figure on the Khalchayan sculptures, with a dome composed of a few plates joined by a separate ridge, a small separate visor piece, and separate pieces again flaring out as a rim to protect the sides and back of the head, the resemblance to the earlier Chinese forms can be discerned pretty clearly. No helmets made of separate plates were in use in Central Asia before this time, and it can be no coincidence that a new form of helmet and a new form of cuirass both appear at the same time in Central Asia which both bear a striking resemblance to earlier Chinese forms

Re: Achaemenid elite units - Paullus Scipio - 03-26-2009

Ruben wrote:
Quote:I always thought that that figure was a dismounted cavalryman and that his mount's head can be seen in front of him, but now when I look at it it seems that that horse may be one of the four drawing the chariot and that its head has simply been very awkwardly rendered. I think you may very well be right that he is an infantryman, in which case I would agree that this is evidence for the equipment of the Immortals.
...A close examination of a large reproduction shows that the figure clapping his hand to his head to the right of Darius' chariot, and wearing a red Tube-and-Yoke corselet trimmed in white is neither a 'dismounted' cavalryman, nor an infantryman. All four (black) horses drawing the chariot are clearly visible with their heads pointed to the right. Immediately to the left of the figure in question is visible a brown horses head, pointing left, which the figure in question is clearly riding. He is therefore a mounted cavalryman.
A fallen Persian who just might be an infantryman ( since there is no associated horse) is visible beneath the horses hooves of Darius' chariot. He is only partially intact, but wears a kyrbisia, no armour, wears a grey tunic with an intricate pattern, and appears to be holding a bow....

Re: Achaemenid elite units - MeinPanzer - 03-26-2009

Quote:Ruben wrote:
Quote:I always thought that that figure was a dismounted cavalryman and that his mount's head can be seen in front of him, but now when I look at it it seems that that horse may be one of the four drawing the chariot and that its head has simply been very awkwardly rendered. I think you may very well be right that he is an infantryman, in which case I would agree that this is evidence for the equipment of the Immortals.
...A close examination of a large reproduction shows that the figure clapping his hand to his head to the right of Darius' chariot, and wearing a red Tube-and-Yoke corselet trimmed in white is neither a 'dismounted' cavalryman, nor an infantryman. All four (black) horses drawing the chariot are clearly visible with their heads pointed to the right. Immediately to the left of the figure in question is visible a brown horses head, pointing left, which the figure in question is clearly riding. He is therefore a mounted cavalryman.
A fallen Persian who just might be an infantryman ( since there is no associated horse) is visible beneath the horses hooves of Darius' chariot. He is only partially intact, but wears a kyrbisia, no armour, wears a grey tunic with an intricate pattern, and appears to be holding a bow....

Oh, I see, that does make sense. I am rather ashamed to say that I have not actually examined the Alexander mosaic in all that much detail... really something I should do some day.

Re: Achaemenid elite units - Paullus Scipio - 03-26-2009

....Another common misconception is that the Aspis in the foreground, in which the face of a Persian falling on his back is mirrored belongs to him. In fact the Aspis hides the Hoplite who holds it, conventionally enough, on his left arm. The bare feet and legs ( hence Greek) of the man holding the Aspis are visible, on his knees to the right of the Persian and the shield rim... This Greek Hoplite has evidently been thrown forward by the wheeling chariot, on top of the Persian who falls backward, hands on the face of the shield and face reflected in it.
As I have mentioned on another thread, just in front of Alexander's horses head is a (damaged) clean shaven head, with Greek hairstyle, visible above the rim of another bronze-faced 'Aspis',with a reflection visible, who holds a Greek sword.This figure faces left, opposing the on-coming companions. The rest of the figure is obscured behind the falling Persian Horse. At the bottom left, below the large damaged section, among the debris of battle, a Chalcidian helmet is visible, the inside of another shield(?) and the clearly depicted Aspis with arm still in porpax, and a broken bow, arrows and a quiver (?)

It is the clearly depicted large aspides, and the fearful backward look of the helmeted figure to the left of Darius' chariot that convince me that retreating Greek mercenaries, not Macedonians ( Infantry ahead of a charging Alexander? ) are being depicted ......

Re: Achaemenid elite units - Kineas - 03-31-2009

I fear this may be slightly off topic, but have any of you noticed that the shields carried by the front rank spearmen on some of the Persepolis reliefs seem to be Boeotians? or at least have a very similar profile? And what does that mean?

And Happy Nowruz to all...

Re: Achaemenid elite units - Sean Manning - 03-31-2009

Hi Artabanos! I like the picture, although I'm not sure about some details of the cavalryman.

Quote:I fear this may be slightly off topic, but have any of you noticed that the shields carried by the front rank spearmen on some of the Persepolis reliefs seem to be Boeotians? or at least have a very similar profile? And what does that mean?

And Happy Nowruz to all...
I'd say it means that someone did use figure-eight shields in the Iron Age. A bronze center boss from one of them was found at Sardis, and Manouchehr Khorasani refers to two more which I've never seen photos of. Nick Sekunda has a page discussing them in Philip de Souza ed., The Ancient World at War (2008).

I need to track down a complete edition of all the reliefs from Persepolis to count all the different shield types shown and note who carries them and which perspectives we see each from. There are a lot of them!

Re: Achaemenid elite units - Dan D'Silva - 04-01-2009

Thank you for the post Artabanos. The crescent shield is very eye-catching.

What sort of cloak does the infantryman wear?

Quote:I fear this may be slightly off topic, but have any of you noticed that the shields carried by the front rank spearmen on some of the Persepolis reliefs seem to be Boeotians? or at least have a very similar profile? And what does that mean?

Matt Amt suggested that the Persepolis type and the Dipylon share a common ancestor in the old Hittite shields.

It could also be a coincidence. I think the differences in the size and shape of the cutouts, the shape of the rim and the large boss on the Persian shield are too great for it to have been based directly on the Boiotian, unless it were more of an "inspiration" than a copy.

Re: Achaemenid elite units - etruschi - 05-01-2009

Quote:The two collar types are totally different. The Persian collars appear fairly late (circa the turn of the 4th c. BC, as far as I know) and seem to be found on organic cuirasses. They are high and flat, protecting only the back of the neck.

The Chinese collars first appear on charioteer armour in the 5th c. BC on cuirasses made of lacquered leather. Their collars are square-shaped with the front side, where the face is, missing, so that they cover the back and sides of the neck, and they are the same height the whole way round. In addition, this type of heavy leacquered leather cuirass is associated with a type of helmet likewise made of laquered leather plates of various shapes and sizes sewn together. We find a figurine from northwestern China of a figurine wearing a similar cuirass with a high collar and a similar helmet which seems to depict a barbarian dating to the 5th-3rd c. BC. Then we find a 4th-2nd c. BC bronze figurine almost identically equipped from Talas-tal northwest of the Tarim basin, and around the same time period a depiction of such armour being worn on an artefact from southern Siberia. After this we find many different examples well into the first centuries AD.

The collars on the Persian cuirasses, as I speculated in the last thread, seem to be exaggerated neck-protectors like we see on Greek tube-and-yoke cuirasses, and so I think the general form derives from Greek examples.

If we look at the terracotta figures from the Northern Wei period found in many tombs, we can see a newer form of neck collar used in China. Whole the way around the neck and higher at the back. See photo (with thanks to Duncan Head).
A black/white reconstruction of such a Xianbei figure on which the collar is clearly visible can be seen in A. Dien's book 'Six Dynasties Civilization.
Greetings
Philip