RomanArmyTalk
Seville exhibition - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Research Arena (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Roman Military History & Archaeology (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Seville exhibition (/showthread.php?tid=14325)

Pages: 1 2 3

Seville exhibition - richsc - 01-02-2009

Who's seen this exhibition? The BBC says the reliefs of navy battle scenes of Anthony & Cleopatra have *never* been seen in public before. And it appears they're all wearing segmentata on board. Also appears to be a long haired Gaul on board? Just glimpses, but who's visited and do they allow photos?

BBC video on Seville exhibition

Re: Seville exhibition - Matthew Amt - 01-02-2009

Huh, that's interesting! Those DO look like segmented something! Though the shoulders look solid, and the lines on the upper arms suggest pteruges. Remember, it's quite possible that this relief was made long after the actual battle, IF it even portrays Actium at all.

The Gaul is the head of the figurehead horse!

Amazing that a museum could have something like this for who knows how long and never allow them to be seen by the public, and rather outrageous, too. Odd that so many people still believe all antiquities "belong in a museum"...

Thanks for the link, Richard!

Matthew

Re: Seville exhibition - PhilusEstilius - 01-02-2009

I liked the video about Maryport where I would hope that just maybe some evidence might come out of it to help prove the 255 line. This line was another frontier that pre dates Hadrians' Wall in the same area and was discovered by my late colleague and friend Mr Raymond Selkirk BA it would most surely re write the Roman history of Britain.

Re: Seville exhibition - caiusbeerquitius - 01-02-2009

Isn´t it possible that we see textile armour here, subarmalia? The similarity to the textile gladiator armour is there, isn´t it?
Interesting pics from this video:
[Image: Unbenannt-3.jpg]
[Image: Actius2.jpg]
[Image: Actium3.jpg]

BBC video on Maryport - richsc - 01-02-2009

Nice screen captures!

Maryport needs another thread, but here's the link mentioned above:

BBC report on Maryport

Doesn't Mike Bishop also live nearby there??

Re: Seville exhibition - Matthew Amt - 01-02-2009

Quote:Isn´t it possible that we see textile armour here, subarmalia?

Or even textile armor that is NOT subarmalis! Quilted or padded cloth, very common in other cultures. I like it.

Matthew

Re: Seville exhibition - Gaius Julius Caesar - 01-02-2009

Hmmm, like a linothorax maybe?

Re: Seville exhibition - MeinPanzer - 01-02-2009

This seems to be a highly classicized depiction of soldiers. What do you make of the helmets, for instance?

Re: Seville exhibition - Iagoba - 01-03-2009

Right soldier has the sword baldric over his right shoulder, so the sword is in the left. The man behind the horse wears the sword on the right side...

Just to mention. :roll:

Re: Seville exhibition - Titvs Statilivs Castvs - 01-03-2009

Hexagonal shields? Anything known about those in naval context? Haven't got a clue...

And what about the possibility of a subarmalis with pteryges under a segmentata?

Re: Seville exhibition - PhilusEstilius - 01-03-2009

I think it should be metioned when we look at the top pic'. there are two soldiers fighting who are identicle, and they are against what appears to be a fort or city wall wasn't Actium a sort of open battle field. Then as Titvs says hexagonal shields looks very Germanic in shape I think.

Re: BBC video on Maryport - mcbishop - 01-04-2009

Quote:Doesn't Mike Bishop also live nearby there??

Never lived on the western side (unless you count Bristol). Nowadays I live in Darlington which is on the east side of the country. Maryport is a long haul for me, following in Petillius Cerealis' footsteps up the A66, but well worth the trip.

Mike Bishop

Re: Seville exhibition - Proximus - 01-04-2009

What is the datation of this piece ?

If it is 100 years after the battle, it is usual to see the weaponry of year of the artist, I think.

What do you think ?

Re: Seville exhibition - Gaius Julius Caesar - 01-04-2009

I wonder if the bricked building behind the 2 soldiers is perhaps a tower/platform on the ships? Any other shots showing these 2 in a wider context?

Re: Seville exhibition - Theodosius the Great - 01-04-2009

These unseen friezes are interesting for many reasons but from a Roman propoganda angle they are noteworthy since (afaik) it was taboo to portray scenes of civil war (at least until the later Roman Empire). They blatantly show Romans fighting Romans and not Egyptians as we might expect. So, if there really was a taboo maybe it was limited to Rome or Italy where public sensibilities would be most offended .(?) BTW, it's times like these when we could really use Travis Clark's insights.

Quote:What is the datation of this piece ?
Yes, I'd like to know as well. I doubt the friezes date to Late Roman times since I've seen quite a lot of classicizing art from that period and they do not really resemble these new works, IMO. It would surprise me if they date later than 2nd century AD. The sculpting techniques look very high quality to my eyes.

Quote:Right soldier has the sword baldric over his right shoulder, so the sword is in the left.
He's also wearing a musculata with a square collar and without shoulder doublings. This kind of musculata is more common in the 2nd century AD and later. Trajan wears one exactly like it in one sceneon his column in Rome.

~Theo