RomanArmyTalk
Gladiators in Scotland!!! - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Research Arena (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Roman Military History & Archaeology (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Gladiators in Scotland!!! (/showthread.php?tid=14295)

Gladiators in Scotland!!! - Gaius Julius Caesar - 12-29-2008

Well this is news to me! I suppose it has been discussed before?

http://www.britarch.ac.uk/ba/ba25/BA25NEWS.HTML

I see our very own MB is the identifier!

Re: Gladiators in Scotland!!! - PhilusEstilius - 12-29-2008

It would appear that the Romans had their entertainments at just about every corner of the Empire, indeed where we consider the helmets and face masks found at Trimontium along with also a horse chamfron they must have had their Hippica Gymnasia as well.

Re: Gladiators in Scotland!!! - Gaius Julius Caesar - 12-29-2008

I think the rebuilding of the Antonine wall a worthy project (plus supporting facilities) This is the clincher I believe! Smile
No need to say it would not have been a viable endevour, when clearly the Romans were planning on it too! Big Grin

I say lets go! Just imagine the tourist denarii it would bring in!! Big Grin

Re: Gladiators in Scotland!!! - PhilusEstilius - 12-29-2008

I have wanted to do that with Hadrians' Wall for a long time but no one is interested.

Re: Gladiators in Scotland!!! - Gaius Julius Caesar - 12-29-2008

I think the thought of all that work is what puts people off. These days there just isn't the work ethic to do something on that scale.... Tongue

Re: Gladiators in Scotland!!! - Medusa Gladiatrix - 12-30-2008

Many thanks for posting this interesting article. Indeed I had hold a lecture about military amphitheaters for the 2007 RAT Conference and used as a reference for British amphitheaters the book "Roman Amphitheatres in England and Wales" but it does not list the one in Edinburgh. Maybe the new edition of this book should be called "Roman ATs in Great Britain" :lol:

Anyhow it does not surprise me much that they found one even at this remote spot at the Antonine Wall. They did have these wooden amphitheaters for entertainment of the troops at many forts (legionary and auxiliary) and the gladiator troupes there were most likely itinerant ones traveling through the provinces.

Re: Gladiators in Scotland!!! - Gaius Julius Caesar - 12-30-2008

It is an interesting development for sure medusa! Perhaps an excuse for your group to visit a Roamn event in Scotland! Big Grin

Re: Gladiators in Scotland!!! - PhilusEstilius - 12-30-2008

I find it most gratifying to have some one even from the EEC to refer to the name "Great Britain" once again, especially when in more recent times there has been political and Nationalistic tendencies not only to devide it but swollow it up into a more federal system "Thank you Medusa"

Re: Gladiators in Scotland!!! - mcbishop - 12-31-2008

Quote:I find it most gratifying to have some one even from the EEC to refer to the name "Great Britain" once again, especially when in more recent times there has been political and Nationalistic tendencies not only to devide it but swollow it up into a more federal system

'Great Britain' is simply a geographical term for the island of England, Wales, and Scotland (as in our correct title of The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland' which doesn't exactly trip off the tongue).

The whole Inveresk 'amphitheatre' thing came about because of my scepticism about the notion of a curving granary, the original interpretation of the feature, and noting the similarity with what was then interpreted as the earlier timber amphitheatre at Chester. It is now thought that the amphitheatre at Deva actually had both timber and stone components so my analogy is not now so good. Even so, the excavators published a very thoughtful write-up of the site that considered all the possibilities very carefully:

Neighbour, T 2007: 'A Semi-Elliptical, Timber-Framed Structure at Inveresk (The Most Northerly Amphitheatre in the Empire?)', Britannia 38, 125-40

Make of it what you will but the amphitheatre at Newstead seems fairly definite and that's in Scotland and would qualify as the most northerly if Inveresk proves to be a chimaera.

Mike Bishop

Re: Gladiators in Scotland!!! - Gaius Julius Caesar - 12-31-2008

I can't see a reason why it couldn't be one.

I have not seen every granary going, but the ones I have seen have all been (relatively)straight sided!

Get those Gladiatrix re-enactors going up here , I say!!! Big Grin wink:

Re: Gladiators in Scotland!!! - PhilusEstilius - 12-31-2008

Mike. Great Britain is more than just a geographical term, and it rolls off the tongue very well indeed. Infact to anyone with any pride what ever it means "Land of Hope and Glory Mother of the Free"