RomanArmyTalk
2010 - Late Roman events in the UK - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Reenactment (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Events (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=28)
+--- Thread: 2010 - Late Roman events in the UK (/showthread.php?tid=14231)

Pages: 1 2 3

2010 - Late Roman events in the UK - fasta - 12-18-2008

Quote:I finally received a formal reply from the museum (to my last email sent in July of 2008) on 27 Nov 08. The writer said that regrettably she could not extend an invitation because there was insufficient space. Well, I/we am/are disappointed. I/we started communications years ago - and no 'compensation' was requested. We only sought the opportunity to participate. So, the Brits are excluded (or so it seems from reading Marcus' comments), and the Canuks are out (unless someone knows something different). Too bad. We will visit another continent/country in 2009. Our tourist dollars in these tough times have been re-allocated.

Vale
David
http://www.principialegionis.org

Sorry if there is already a post up about 2010.

But 2010 is important for us in the UK 410AD ,1,600 years since the Emperor wished us good luck on our own. What's the chance of overseas groups making it over here for possible joint events?

Re: 2010 - Late Roman events in the UK - Caballo - 12-18-2008

"UK 410AD ,1,600 years since the Emperor wished us good luck on our own"

Like it!!

Re: 2010 - Late Roman events in the UK - Robert Vermaat - 12-19-2008

Quote: Sorry if there is already a post up about 2010.
Not yet, so I split the post to creat a new thread.

Quote: What's the chance of overseas groups making it over here for possble joint events?
Negatiotions have already begun some months ago. :wink:

Quote:But 2010 is important for us in the UK 410AD ,1,600 years since the Emperor wished us good luck on our own.
You mean that letter went to Britain? Confusedhock: Confusedhock: Confusedhock: Some poor sod in the Roman Imperial Postal Service must've goofed up - the letter was meant for Bruttium in Italy instead!! :lol:

Re: 2010 - Late Roman events in the UK - fasta - 12-19-2008

No wonder there is talk of Royal Mail as being sold off to Dutch & German companies :lol:

Re: 2010 - Late Roman events in the UK - John Conyard - 12-19-2008

Hi John,

I'm never to sure about what date we can say the Roman's waved goodbye to Britian. Or even if they came back for a while.

But 2009/2010 will certainly have some good events. Robert is cryptically refering to a proposed event at St. Albans in 2010 that the local council are considering. Depending how much cash they had in Icelandic banks or hedge funds! Comitatus have five venues lined up for 2010, which is enough for now. Certainly some of them would have some funding for foreign involvement. Combined with that we are planning a simple conference in York. It would be good to have some Europeans over for that. I emailed Jasper Oorthuys about linking it to a RAT conference which seems a good idea.

Re: 2010 - Late Roman events in the UK - fasta - 12-19-2008

Five venues already lined up for 2010 is great John.Well done,even more so in today's economic climate.

Re: 2010 - Late Roman events in the UK - Caballo - 12-19-2008

If the St Albans event is dependent on Icelandic banks the event may get held in Rekjavik....the Council had deposits of £17m in collapsed bank Landesbanki, £7m in Glitnir and £4m in Kaupthing.....

Re: 2010 - Late Roman events in the UK - John Conyard - 12-19-2008

I think it's important to find the best Roman site in the country to invite foreign guests to.

And that is a difficult but fun thing to decide. It's hard to escape the fact that Hadrian's Wall is great countryside, with lots to see. St. Albans is nice, but very different.

Re: 2010 - Late Roman events in the UK - Caballo - 12-19-2008

Completely agree- and St Albans is (fairly) central, and not too far for foreign groups.
Other options might include West Stow (very atmospheric, and near Sutton Hoo, but further from the North)

Working smithy , with Peronis in 1st Century kit

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3268/271 ... 57.jpg?v=0

General view

[Image: West_Stow_007.jpg]

Even better if we could stay in the houses....

Re: 2010 - Late Roman events in the UK - Argonaut - 12-19-2008

If a large event could be organised somewhere like the West Stow village or similar, I for one would probably be willing to make a complete set of kit just to be able to attend! I think it would be fantastic to see late era guys from all over gathered together for one event. Any excuse to check out other peoples re-enactment handy-work is a good one Lol.

Re: 2010 - Late Roman events in the UK - Robert Vermaat - 12-19-2008

Quote:Completely agree- and St Albans is (fairly) central, and not too far for foreign groups.
Other options might include West Stow (very atmospheric, and near Sutton Hoo, but further from the North)

My favorites were Richborough Castle (after all, you need a spot to wave goobye to all the departing legionaries :lol: , or similar Saxon Shore features such as Portchester or Pevensey - great places to hold venues in.

Personal favorites were Silchester or Caerwent, btw. Cry Great remains, a bit private spots as well.
Never mind, you also need a venue to be close to the public to generate interest from organisers. St. Albans is close to London but also close enough to the Channel ports to be interesting for non-UK groups, I guess.

So St. Albans lost a good deal of money? Many of the councils over here did too, but our governement made some deals... :wink:

Re: 2010 - Late Roman events in the UK - John Conyard - 12-20-2008

Choosing venues is always tricky because of who owns them, manages them and various contractual issues. But Comitatus are lucky in that a professional approach allows us to go to some great places.

In truth clients aren't going to pull large crowds with such an event. It doesn't have to be close to a major city. Sewerby Hall pulls in 6,000 and it's on the coast of East Yorkshire.

But you do need a special location to pull in other re-enactors. Somewhere with great camping, a beautiful location and lots to see. Reconstructed buildings are good, as is a great atmosphere and historically importance. It needs to be close to ferry ports and air ports. Hadrians Wall wins on all points. It's the biggest and most important monument in the country. It had world heritage status. And we have the venues already lined up, suitable for horses, artillery etc.

Re: 2010 - Late Roman events in the UK - Robert Vermaat - 12-20-2008

Quote:It needs to be close to ferry ports and air ports. Hadrians Wall wins on all points.
I would love to go to Hadrian's Wall, but sadly it's too far off.
I mean, travelling from The Netherlands is one thing, we're within an hour of most ports.
But if you're travelling from Germany, France or Spain it's not the same - you have to drive hours and hours to even reach the ferry. Then cross to Kent and then drive north - a return ticket to Hull (or even further north?) is very costly during high season.

I heard that Comitatus is not often seen in the south of England for the same reason?

Re: 2010 - Late Roman events in the UK - Gaius Julius Caesar - 12-20-2008

But now tha tthe Euro is more or less on par with the pound, it should be better for you?

Re: 2010 - Late Roman events in the UK - Robert Vermaat - 12-20-2008

Quote:But now tha tthe Euro is more or less on par with the pound, it should be better for you?
Get back to me on that in about 18 months. :wink: