RomanArmyTalk
about two gladiator daggers pommels - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Research Arena (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Ancient Combat Sports (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Thread: about two gladiator daggers pommels (/showthread.php?tid=14111)

about two gladiator daggers pommels - marcos - 12-03-2008

I'm talking in these days with a friend of mine about two famous galdiator dagger handles. I guess you already know them , they were sold on
(auction houses : edited by moderator) auctions in the past years.

first pic
[Image: impugnaturadaga10cmxq5.th.jpg]

second pic
[Image: bronzedaggerpommel5979rs6.th.jpg]

The problem is: everyone ((auction houses : edited by moderator) and Axell Guttmann) were saying those come from gladiator swords , and I have to believe because are unquestionably three weighty sources , but ..... how is possible to have in your hand a similar grip, with in the middle that human-head pommel ?
It is quite impossible, I think , to fight with a similar grip .

But now, why they are saying so; where is the mistake ?

Re: about two gladiator daggers pommels - Conal - 12-04-2008

I understand that they are not hilts at all but chariot fittings to do with the reins in some way.

Re: about two gladiator daggers pommels - Caballo - 12-04-2008

Alternatively, could they be pommels attached to an organic grip?

Re: about two gladiator daggers pommels - marcos - 12-04-2008

mmmh... not charriot fittings , I'm sure . I had the some idea about an organic grip , but in the next pic you can see the fissure for the blade , although seems too wide .
Moreover , lenghts are respectively 10 cm. and 11,5 cm (3.95 in. and 4.5 in.) , acceptable as total lenghts of an handle.

[Image: impugnaturadaga10cmbisor1.th.jpg]

The strange is that 3 very big sources agree on saying they are gladiator swords grips, and we cannot brush-off that.

Re: about two gladiator daggers pommels - richard robinson - 12-08-2008

I would regard the busts as being part of the pommel and that the hand gripped the sword in front of it.i.e It was an extra long handle overall. The housing at the front could easily just be for the tang. Thankyou for these photos as i had not seen them previously.
Regards
Richard

Re: about two gladiator daggers pommels - john m roberts - 12-16-2008

What reason do these experts give for believing these to be gladiatorial pommels? The slot shown in the example above appears way too large for the tang of a dagger. They could as easily fit onto tap handles.

Re: about two gladiator daggers pommels - marcos - 12-16-2008

Quote:What reason do these experts give for believing these to be gladiatorial pommels? The slot shown in the example above appears way too large for the tang of a dagger. They could as easily fit onto tap handles.

I don't know , your doubts are mine too. But , as I said , in two different times three experts gave the some expertise each time.

Re: about two gladiator daggers pommels - jvrjenivs - 12-18-2008

Quote:I don't know , your doubts are mine too. But , as I said , in two different times three experts gave the some expertise each time.

Both 3 experts said the same explanation, but don't say why they did choose for that explanation. What makes them an expert, if they don't state where they base their knowledge/findings/theories on.