RomanArmyTalk
Another new Graham Sumner book? - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Research Arena (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: References & Reviews (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Another new Graham Sumner book? (/showthread.php?tid=13941)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

Re: Another new Graham Sumner book? - Titus Juventius Tertius - 06-11-2009

Ok... I'm annoyed now:

Quote:Order Date: May 23, 2009
Order #: -----------------------
Recipient: T.J. Young

Items not yet shipped:
Delivery estimate: July 6, 2009

* 1 of: Roman Military Dress
Sold by: Amazon.com, LLC

Ugh. They also pushed back another book I had ordered back on May 11th (The Roman Legions Recreated In Color Photographs). Graham, I think I may need to order through you. Tongue Mind PMing me some availability and pricing?

Re: Another new Graham Sumner book? - Theo - 06-12-2009

Guys,

Maybe you could try "Waterstone's" website. I got my copy in a shop in Eastbourne so they do carry the title.

Theo

Re: Another new Graham Sumner book? - Salvianus - 06-14-2009

I hope you guys get hold of copies soon, I feel almost guilty enjoying mine so much, so I don't want to go on about it too much :?

Re: Another new Graham Sumner book? - Gaius Julius Caesar - 06-14-2009

I was looking in Waterstones in Aberdeen before I came out, but they didn't have it . But then that is Aberdeen.
I hopefully have a copy of both waiting at home.

Re: Another new Graham Sumner book? - Condottiero Magno - 07-04-2009

Pre-ordered Roman Military Dress from Amazon.com, while Barnes & Noble lists it as out of stock. The latter does have Arms and Armour of the Imperial Roman Soldier: From Marius to Commodus [url:b86hhft3]http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbninquiry.asp?EAN=9781848325128[/url] available for pre-order, RRP $60, with August 19 as the publication date.

Re: Another new Graham Sumner book? - Gaius Julius Caesar - 07-04-2009

Quote:Pre-ordered Roman Military Dress from Amazon.com, while Barnes & Noble lists it as out of stock. The latter does have Arms and Armour of the Imperial Roman Soldier: From Marius to Commodus [url:1cdzj4v7]http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbninquiry.asp?EAN=9781848325128[/url] available for pre-order, RRP $60, with August 19 as the publication date.
I've been waiting months for my copy from Amazon, arms and armour that is! :?

Re: Another new Graham Sumner book? - Neuraleanus - 07-04-2009

Quote:I've been waiting months for my copy from Amazon, arms and armour that is! :?
Still waiting as well. I just received another delay notice from Amazon.

Re: Another new Graham Sumner book? - Graham Sumner - 07-04-2009

Quote:I've been waiting months for my copy from Amazon, arms and armour that is!

Quote:Still waiting as well. I just received another delay notice from Amazon.

The Pen and Sword website say's the publication date is July 31.

Graham.

Re: Another new Graham Sumner book? - Gaius Julius Caesar - 07-04-2009

Cheers, I was under the impression some people had recieved theirs already! Smile ?

Re: Another new Graham Sumner book? - Condottiero Magno - 07-05-2009

[Image: 411W9S842vL._SL500_AA240_.jpg]
Regarding the legionary on the cover, what is he wearing?

It looks like leather musculata, with leather shoulder doubling and pteruges, over a red tunic. Are those breeches or pteruges on his legs?

Re: Another new Graham Sumner book? - Gorgon - 07-05-2009

Quote:The Pen and Sword website say's the publication date is July 31.

Graham.

So it's confirmed for later this month, then? If so, great news! I have it pre-ordered for ages. Big Grin

Quote:[Image: 411W9S842vL._SL500_AA240_.jpg]

It looks like leather musculata, with leather shoulder doubling and pteruges, over a red tunic. Are those breeches or pteruges on his legs?

Thats from the tombstone of the legionary C. Valerius Crispus from Wiesbaden. Those segmented looking "shorts" could either be damage on the tombstone giving it the impression of beying somehow segmented or be interpreted as pteruges. Seems like the authors went for pteruges. The armor itself does look like leather in the pic, although looking at a foto of the tombstone it doesn't look to me necesserily as leather, but I'll wait for the arguments in the book. Ring mail seems to me quite plausible as well.

Re: Another new Graham Sumner book? - Condottiero Magno - 07-05-2009

Quote:
Condottiero Magno:2e2rvlwk Wrote:[Image: 411W9S842vL._SL500_AA240_.jpg]

Thats from the tombstone of the legionary C. Valerius Crispus from Wiesbaden. Those segmented looking "shorts" could either be damage on the tombstone giving it the impression of beying somehow segmented or be interpreted as pteruges. Seems like the authors went for pteruges. The armor itself does look like leather in the pic, although looking at a foto of the tombstone it doesn't look to me necesserily as leather, but I'll wait for the arguments in the book. Ring mail seems to me quite plausible as well.
Thanks for the reference source, found the tombstone[url:2e2rvlwk]http://museums.ncl.ac.uk/archive/arma/contents/iconog/tombston/cent1/rhinelan.da/crispus.htm[/url]. Odd color for mail and I'm not convinced that those are pteruges, as I've never seen them as form fitting leggings. Instead of pteruges, might it be a padded garment?

Below the figure's right shoulder doubling, I think there's a molded nipple.

Yes, I think the illustration represents leather. I'll have to check the photos (thanks for the link by the way, although the site is slow as hell) better to check the evidence and I also need to read the reasoning behind that interpretation in the book. As for the shorts, I don't think it's padding as you can clearly see the pteruges overlaping each other in the tombstone the way pteriges are supposed to, so I'm convinced those are shorts with pteruges (or "pteruged" shorts) in the tombstone and I agree with the authors interpretation.

Re: Another new Graham Sumner book? - Condottiero Magno - 07-20-2009

Roman Military Dress is now available direct from Amazon.com US, Big Grin (