RomanArmyTalk
The last film you watched.... - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Recreational Arena (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=18)
+--- Thread: The last film you watched.... (/showthread.php?tid=13172)

Re: The last film you watched.... - MARCvSVIBIvSMAvRINvS - 08-28-2008

Anyone seen Clone Wars yet>? i ll wait since almost no place has it in English here.. all dubbed for the little ones....

and i Hate dubbed films!

M.VIB.M.

Re: The last film you watched.... - Jona Lendering - 08-28-2008

Quote:Jona - Yes Alec Guinness christopher plommer james mason and Sophia Loren ... on the box it says the meriam collection,
Thanks, I may buy it when I'm in Mainz.

Re: The last film you watched.... - M. Demetrius - 08-28-2008

Saw Hancock a week or two ago. Lots of fun. Imagine a superhero with an attitude who is constantly drinking whiskey, and has no concern for other people's property, and you have the character.

Re: The last film you watched.... - Narukami - 08-29-2008

Quote:Anyone seen Clone Wars yet>? i ll wait since almost no place has it in English here.. all dubbed for the little ones....

and i Hate dubbed films!

M.VIB.M.

Yes I have, twice even (my grandson is a fan) and despite the critical drubbing it has taken I enjoyed it.

No, it is not a landmark film either in terms of animation or story, and no, unlike the original Star Wars of 1977 this new Clone Wars will not change Hollywood or pop culture. However...

It was a lot of fun and harkins back to the original in being about a rescue with a chase or two, a couple of good villians (the Sith witch is perfect) and a lot of battles along the way.

What the critics seem to have forgotten is that Lucas is making this film for the 12 and under crowd and, judging from my grandson's reaction and that pf the other kids at the showings I have attended, Lucas knows his audience and knows them well.

The new Jedi, Ahsoka, is a hit with the kids as is Captain Rex and all the Clone Troopers in general. And what's not to like about a giant armored tank that can walk up the side of a mountain?

Lucas may not be a great writer or even a good director (American Graffiti not withstanding) but he is THE outstanding producer of his generation (and the next too). I see it at Toys R Us and Target as parents shell out big money for walking tanks, star fighters and armies of action figures. No movie franchise has dominated the toy aisles as Star Wars has.

But all of that aside, I had a good time at the movies, so did my grandson and that's good enough for me. I'll watch Michael Clayton when I want a more thought provoking film.

Oh...and Wander, I believe the title "Tropic Thunder" is a reference to the 25th Infantry Division (currently stationed at Schofield Barracks in Hawai'i) which is known as Tropic Lighting. (Their unit insignia is a taro leaf with a lighting bolt on it both in the royal Hawaiian colors of red & yellow.)

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/ ... y/25id.htm

In the film Platoon the unit depicted was from the 25th ID.

Of course, I could be wrong -- this is just a guess on my part as I have not seen the film.

:wink:

Narukami

Re: The last film you watched.... - Wander - 08-29-2008

Thanks, Narukami -- I didn't know about the "Tropic Lightning" reference.

The Vietnam vet character in the movie wears a field jacket with a prominent Air Cavalry patch on the shoulder (or, a bend sable with horse's head sable, or something like that -- been too long since I tried to blazon something like "A yellow shield with a diagonal black stripe and a black horse's head silhouetted above."). Of course, he wears a hat with a whole grab bag of military insignia, so we can't take any of it seriously. I think they chose the Air Cav because it's recognizable and associated with Nam.

And the taro leaf you mention may be related to his nickname of "Fourleaf."

(No, I didn't give away any surprises in that.)

Re: The last film you watched.... - Jeroen Pelgrom - 08-30-2008

just saw Hell boy 2 and The thief from Bagdad (1925) on DVD. Both very cool movies.

Re: The last film you watched.... - Jona Lendering - 08-30-2008

Quote:The thief from Bagdad (1925)
Note to moderators: where is the green "I-am-so-fed-up-with-envy-that-I-can-hardly-speak-at-all,-but-I-still-like-the-person-above" emoticon?

Re: The last film you watched.... - Jeroen Pelgrom - 08-31-2008

The thief from bagdad (19250 is still for sale on amazon. Getting the correct version is another story. like almost all the pre 1940 movies, it has been cut. The version most for sale (and the one i have) is the 139 min. version with the music by Gaylord Carter. The one i'm after is the 154 min. version with the correct music. Problem is that that version is made by Kino (www.kino.com/video/item.php?film_id=651) and is region 1....

But still a very good movie. But i like old movies. Other pre 1945 movies i have are:
Das Cabinet des dr. Caligari (1919)
Der Golem (1920)
Nosferatu (1922)
Strike (1924)
The battleship Potemkin (1925)
The adventures of prince Achmed (1926)
The end of St. Petersburg (1927)
The fall of the Romanov dynasty (1927)
Metropolis (1927)
Oktober 1917 (1928)
Triumph of the will
Munchhausen (1943)
Frankenstein (1931) - the one with Boris Karloff
The bride of Frankenstein (1935)
Dracula (1931)
The mummy (1932) - also with Boris Karloff
The invisible man (1933) - very cool special effects!
The Wolf man (1941)
Phantom of the opera (1943)

My wishing list includes movies from D.W.Griffith, George Melies etc. But i also like SF movies from the 1950's....

Re: The last film you watched.... - Narukami - 08-31-2008

Greetings Jeroen,

Have you considered this version of The Thief of Bagdad?

http://www.criterion.com/asp/release.asp?id=431

Not a silent film, but regarded as an excellent film. This DVD is from the Criterion Collection -- they did the best work on Laser Disc and their DVD releases are no less spectacular in terms of quality and attention to detail.

:wink:

Narukami

Re: The last film you watched.... - Na Saighdiuir - 08-31-2008

Das Cabinet des dr. Caligari (1919)
Triumph of the will
Frankenstein (1931) - the one with Boris Karloff
Phantom of the opera (1943)

Very interesting mix there Jeroen.A few classics included as well.

Re: The last film you watched.... - Libitina - 09-01-2008

I watched Hellboy 2. It was so so stupid :lol: A good mindless Saturday night film. I did spend most of the time wondering if it's okay to find the Prince and Princess attractive though :?

Re: The last film you watched.... - Libitina - 09-05-2008

Have watched Day Of The Dead as I haven't seen it for years. Still want a pet Bub.

Also rented Cloverfield which was actually a lot better than I was expecting!

Edit: Oh and Aquamarine :oops: For the girls really. Fairly bad but I only half watched because I like mermaids and it's not really aimed at 27 year olds after all Big Grin

Re: The last film you watched.... - Dogote - 09-05-2008

i watched.... if it qualifies as a movie or not.... Shrek 2...

i have kids lol and their only interests are shrek and chitty chitty bang bang :x

Re: The last film you watched.... - M. Demetrius - 09-06-2008

It could be a lot worse, Gin. Actually, I don't think the Shrek movies are really for kids. I kinda like them, myself. Funny stuff.

Re: The last film you watched.... - Jona Lendering - 09-06-2008

Quote:I don't think the Shrek movies are really for kids. I kinda like them, myself. Funny stuff.
Many good books and movies for children are so good, because they take them seriously, and therefore can be entertaining for grown-ups too. Le Petit Prince and the Harry Potter series, for example. I'm also thinking about Wall-E, which is actually a pretty disturbing distopia - and I am not sure that children don't recognize the movie's real message: that earth would be better of without humans.