RomanArmyTalk
The last film you watched.... - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Recreational Arena (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=18)
+--- Thread: The last film you watched.... (/showthread.php?tid=13172)

Re: The last film you watched.... - M. Demetrius - 01-07-2011

The Notebook. Amazing. Wonderful story. I hope someday to find love like that in myself. I'm working on it, and she and I have been through some really tough tests. Backstabbing and unmerited blackballing from people we thought were good friends...her major debilitating stroke...a couple of years of abject poverty, gradual recovery to her being able to walk fairly well without assistance...none of those things have damaged our relationship. I love my wife, in spite of the harsh things that have come upon us, in fact, more than before. The outside events and attacks have actually drawn us closer together. I can not envision life without her with me. She makes me worth something. Otherwise, I'd be just another aging slug with no real purpose other than self. This movie made me realize how adversity can be a good thing for relationships, if the people are willing to see the outside's being different from the inside.

No kidding, this movie is beyond all reckoning: war, best friends, young love, joy, despair, indecision, making choices of the heart and not the head, old love, genuine emotions that people who feel life encounter. The film crystallizes emotional outreach, devotion to a loved one, being so devoted to another person that they become more important than yourself. Yeah, some would say for me to say and do things like that makes me less "manly". To those, I say, "Say what you want: you are missing something crucially important." Marriage, real marriage, makes the two partners become one flesh. Simple as that.

If you haven't seen this film, I'd recommend you take your spouse or favorite other with you and watch it together. If you are not humbled by the level of love between this couple in the movie, well, maybe you should consider why not? James Garner's performance was utterly inspired. I won't tell much of the plot, except to say, he's reading a love story (as an old man to his old wife) that spans years to his wife (who lives in an institution because she has intermittent memory loss). That's the notebook. His family wants him to come back home, and not bother with her any more, since the memory loss spells are becoming more frequent. He tells them that he will continue to live in the place, since his sweetheart is there, and that IS his home. Love. Powerful.

Amor vincit omnia. Five stars in my book.

Re: The last film you watched.... - Astiryu1 - 01-07-2011

The Burrowers...

A suspense/horror flick that actually surprised me! Confusedhock: It takes place in the American West (after the Indian Wars?) and homesteaders are coming up missing.
Anymore than that and I give things away. The ending was not the best but was somewhat realistic. It has everyone's favorite "Kurgan" (Clancy Brown) in it. For a suspense/horror flick they did the period gear somewhat right as well for reenactment sake!

Re: The last film you watched.... - Virilis - 01-07-2011

Just watched "Centurion". Hmm... It was actually quite entertaining...

Re: The last film you watched.... - Marcus F. - 01-09-2011

Ha, I've seen that almost on the same day. Many story-elements reminded me to my idea for a Varus-film, actually. Smile

Re: The last film you watched.... - Ron Andrea - 01-10-2011

Quote:The Notebook. Amazing. Wonderful story. Powerful.

Amor vincit omnia. Five stars in my book.

I agree. Perhaps not a "manly man's" movie, but certainly a humanly human's.

Saw The King's Speech today. Excellent. Can't voucher for the accuracy, but a good show.

Re: The last film you watched.... - bellatrix - 01-20-2011

I watched "Centurion." I accidentally posted my review under a new topic in the Recreational Arena and I can't move my post to here. So if you want to reply to my thoughts on "Centurion," I hope to hear from you in the Rec Arena.

Re: The last film you watched.... - Medusa Gladiatrix - 01-22-2011

Me, too, I watched Centurion together with my boyfriend and we both liked it. Especially the end which is not a happy end but somehow it is a happy end that the Centurion survives, but does not return to the Roman Empire.

Re: The last film you watched.... - Vindex - 01-22-2011

AAAARRRGGGHH! No! Centurion is a TERRRIBLE movie.; Lots of running and shouting for no real reason and SOOOOOOOOOOOOO unsubstantiated in so many respects...

however...

Have you seen Solomon Kane yet?.

Re: The last film you watched.... - Dithrambus - 01-22-2011

Quote:Have you seen Solomon Kane yet?.

Nope, still no release date for the U.S. Confusedad:

Re: The last film you watched.... - Medusa Gladiatrix - 01-22-2011

Quote:Have you seen Solomon Kane yet?.

What is Solomon Kane for a movie? Haven't heard of it!

Re: The last film you watched.... - Marcus F. - 01-23-2011

I have seen "Solomon Kane", but it isn't more than a mediocre fantasy film.

Re: The last film you watched.... - Vindex - 01-28-2011

Carry On Cleo...classic...

"Infamy, Infamy...they've all got it in for me..."Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Re: The last film you watched.... - Dithrambus - 01-28-2011

My ten year old daughter insisted we rent Secretariat last night, didn't think I would like it, but I must confess that its not bad! Good story and something the whole family can watch, which is becoming rare in films.

Re: The last film you watched.... - bellatrix - 02-19-2011

I saw "The Eagle" yesterday. I thought it followed the book nicely at first, but then the director obviously had to take some creative license in order to make the book translate to the screen. The ending was a little cheesy, but I enjoyed the movie anyway! I would feel very comfortable taking my 11-year-old son to see it because while there is lots of violence, it isn't gory. The language is clean. Channing Tatum was pretty believable during the emotional duress and physical pain scenes. Overall, the movie moved along at an appropriate pace, and it is very well done.

Re: The last film you watched.... - Narukami - 02-20-2011

It is raining in Los Angeles so time for some movies.

On DVD:
Restrepo
The Kids Are Alright
Exit Through The Gift Shop
Still Lovely
Winter Bone

Lots of good indie films from this past year.
Each film has some good performances or an interesting story to tell.

Restrepo is perhaps the most interesting docu to come our of the Afghan war to date. Although for any veteran much of it will seem familiar, even so this is clearly a tough war.

Exit is an amusing film about "street Art" but also an interesting commentary on what Art is or is not.

The Kids Are Alright is alright. Some amusing bits.

Winter Bone is probably the best of the bunch. The young actor playing the daughter looking for her father is excellent. She did receive an Oscar nomination and although she is unlikely to win the recognition coupled with this performance insures her more work which is all to the good. Big Grin

At the Cinema:
The Eagle

My review will be posted at the Ancient Warfare Magazine web site this weekend. (My apologies for the delay. I wrote it last Saturday after seeing the film, but it is awards season in Hollywood and we have been busy at work prepping one event or another, so I have not had a chance to do a final grammatical review prior to posting.) :oops:

The reviews of The Eagle posted in that thread in the Off Topic Section have been sharp and incisive. For fans of the book the film missed the mark, and wildly so. However, those looking for an adventure film without much concern for the history behind it will be entertained. The sad part is this film could have been much better.

:wink:

Narukami