RomanArmyTalk
The last film you watched.... - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Recreational Arena (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=18)
+--- Thread: The last film you watched.... (/showthread.php?tid=13172)

Re: The last film you watched.... - nina - 12-27-2010

I've stoled the statue of liberty!....the small one, from Las Vegas :lol: :lol:

Re: The last film you watched.... - bellatrix - 12-27-2010

Wouldn't it be great to have a freeze ray like Gru had at the beginning of Despicable Me? If I had a freeze ray like that, I could freeze everyone in front of me in line when I go on a Starbucks run. I would only use it if I were in a huge hurry, of course...

Quote:I've stoled the statue of liberty!....the small one, from Las Vegas :lol: :lol:
My favorite quotes: "Curse you, tiny toilet!" and "It's so FLUFFY!!!" :lol:

Re: The last film you watched.... - Dithrambus - 12-27-2010

The Bank of Evil, formerly Lehman Brothers :lol:

Quote:The Bank of Evil, formerly Lehman Brothers :lol:
Haha! I thought that was so clever and creative too! :lol:

Re: The last film you watched.... - Ron Andrea - 12-31-2010

Saw Tron today. Lightweight, but fun.

Re: The last film you watched.... - M. Demetrius - 12-31-2010

Saw it last night. 3D, at the IMAX. Pretty good following sequences from the original. I noticed several things that were clearly carryovers from the original, too. Ships, suits, etc., were good improvements, but close enough to the originals that it wasn't a jolt.

I wonder if people not acquainted with the old movie would know what was happening, with CLU, the Master Control, etc.

Re: The last film you watched.... - Ron Andrea - 12-31-2010

Yes, I noticed the parallels. I don't know that having not seen the original would have ruined the fun, but having seen it certainly enhanced the experience this time.

Re: The last film you watched.... - Robert Vermaat - 12-31-2010

Saw Harry Potter 7(a) on wednesday. Of course they left out a lot from the book (which is at times very chaotic, with all the story lines needed for the final), but apart from that I loved the dark and gloomy mood. The producers managed to even improve the link between the book and WWII I think. Of course it's unsatifying that the story breaks off halfway, but perhaps they should've done that with the earlier movies as well.

Re: The last film you watched.... - Narukami - 12-31-2010

At the Cinema: Tron Legacy (in 2D)

I remember well the summer of 1982. I had just received my MA in Japanese Theatre and spent the summer looking for work and watching movies, and what a summer for movies it was, particularly for Science Fiction & Fantasy: Blade Runner, ET, Star Trek II Wrath of Kahn (had to convince my mother that, despite what she was seeing, Spock was not dead), Poltergeist, Sword And The Sorcerer, Beastmaster, Megaforce, Firefox, Conan, Cat People, Secret Of N.I.M.H., The Thing, and Tron.

Now, it should be remembered that this was the hey-day of the coin-op video game and the Tron game was to be found in the lobby area of almost every theatre in San Antonio. I dropped many a quarter on that game trying to master the light cycles or the disc battles (all to no avail) and the game gave me hope that the film would be a visual feast. In that it did not disappoint, and neither does the sequel, Tron Legacy.

However ...

When it comes to the story I was decidedly underwhelmed. To be sure, the story in the original film was simple and straightforward, and so too is the sequel. Indeed, not only are there many echoes of the first film in the second (the Dumont sign on Sam's garage abode, the son of the original's villain on the new board of directors, etc.) but the plot of the sequel essentially follows the plot of the original. That is not a problem in and of itself (after all, Return Of The Jedi is all about blowing up the Death Star, again) but now, nearly 30 years later and after such films as The Matrix and Inception, Tron Legacy seems rather quaint.

One theme that is not well explored is the relationship between Users and Programs. It is hinted at in the Night Club scene, but only just. More about this might have made for an intriguing film.

Production values are universally good, and the acting is, generally speaking, workman like. Bruce Boxleitner does a good turn as the original Tron and Olivia Wilde is quite fetching as the ISO Quorra. On the other hand Jeff Bridges does not seem completely "plugged in" for this film. We know he is a very capable actor (and indeed turns in an excellent performance as Rooster Cogburn in the new True Grit playing in the same megaplex theatre) so one must lay the responsibility at the feet of first time director Joseph Kosinski.

One telling assessment of the film: my 10 year old grandson and his friend fidgeted throughout the film and were less than enthusiastic in their comments afterwards. Neither asked about when, or even if, we would be getting a copy of the Tron game for our PS3.

Tron Legacy is a trip done Memory lane for those of us who remember the original, but a bit of a curiosity for those who do not. Those younger audience members may well wonder what all the excitement is about.

(Note: Perhaps the film would be more exciting, visually, in 3D, but I reject 3D as another Hollywood money making gimick. If a film can not stand without 3D then it probably can not stand at all.)

:?

Narukami

Re: The last film you watched.... - Vindex - 12-31-2010

Solomon Kane on dvd.

If you haven't weatched this yet you really should.

If you thought James Purefoy was good as Mark Antony, you should watch this. It is brilliant! And he is just fabulous.

I hope they make more of the series.

Re: The last film you watched.... - Dithrambus - 01-01-2011

Resident Evil Afterlife, horrible film, predictable and downright boring, if you have'nt seen it do yourself a favor and don't.

Re: The last film you watched.... - Virilis - 01-01-2011

Just watched "Inception", starring Leonardo Di Caprio. I must say that it was the best scifi I have seen in last 10 years...

Re: The last film you watched.... - Dithrambus - 01-03-2011

I decided to have a laugh and rent The other guys with Wil Farrell and Mark Wahlberg, not funny at all! There was no comedic chemistry between Wahlberg and Farrell and the movie is simply boring. I expected something along the lines of the Police Academy and Police Squad films, but this one simply falls flat.

Re: The last film you watched.... - Titus Martius - 01-06-2011

The Room -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCj8sPCWfUw

Worst piece of cr*** ever made...so bad it's great! Cult film indeed...just browse some scenes on youtube. :wink:

For example...the most often used phrase in this movie :lol: :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mMyV2YQ ... re=related